Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

New Owner Engine sound question

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 03:29 PM
xpensivewino
Pro

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts
Default New Owner Engine sound question

I just purchased an 07 GT3, and its my first Watercooled car. It had a thorough PPI with great results. At iddle the engine seems to have a dull tapping noise that could only be described as what a valve that was a bit out of adjustment in an aircooled motor sounded like. As soon as it comes off idle it disapears. Is this a normal sound? I know on my Mercedes the emissions pump does that and is normal. The car performs perfectly and has only 18k non track miles.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:20 PM
johnwb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine sounds like that too.
Many describe the GT1 engine to sound a little rattly.
Maybe someone else here will know why it sounds like that.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:23 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GT3s make all kinds of unusual (for other cars) sounds. There are a bunch of threads on this and the puff of smoke on startup.
Without hearing the sound (I have no air-cooled experience), it's hard to say for sure, but my car has always had a bit of a 'tappet' sound at cold idle. It goes away once the engine warms up.

At 26K miles, I'm still waiting to hear the 'machine gun' sound some owners get, but I've gotten all the other GT3 idiosyncrasies - makes ownership somehow cooler.

Congratulations!
Old 08-10-2013, 09:33 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by xpensivewino
I just purchased an 07 GT3, and its my first Watercooled car. It had a thorough PPI with great results. At iddle the engine seems to have a dull tapping noise that could only be described as what a valve that was a bit out of adjustment in an aircooled motor sounded like. As soon as it comes off idle it disapears. Is this a normal sound? I know on my Mercedes the emissions pump does that and is normal. The car performs perfectly and has only 18k non track miles.
Take the car to an expert on these cars and engines and have him give a listen.

It is the only way to be sure.

The noise might be a zero lash lifter that's got a bit of air in it or perhaps even partially collapsed. Unlikely though.

If the car is a manual it might be gear box rattle. Does the noise go away when you depress the clutch?

How's the oil? "Fresh"? Oil (and I hope it is a proper oil...) with miles on it can collect unburned gasoline and water and these make the oil less viscous and the engine a bit noisier. I really notice the absent of noise when I start either of my engines after an oil change and I change the oil/filter every 5K miles.

Or the noise could be from an exhaust leak or a noisy injector.

As I started with you need someone to listen to the noise and make a diagnosis. He'll pinpoint as best he can where it is coming from and from this be better able to advise you what your options are. This probably will consist of "Relax. Get the heck out of here and go drive your car."
Old 08-10-2013, 09:39 PM
Steve W
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 40 Posts

Sounds like the valve lash when standard Mobil1 0-40 is used. If that, change to Motul 300v 5-40 and all that clatter will be gone, in addition to providing much better anti-wear protection.

Quick Reply: New Owner Engine sound question