Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Numeric Short Shifter / Cables

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 09:07 PM
OpieT
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by montoya
PJ can comment more, but I have sat in PJ's car with the CAE shifter. It is very similar in feel to the Numeric gate to gate BUT there is a huge difference in the strength of the centering spring (since CAE has their own), which makes the shifting feel more like a sequential AND the shifter is raised and much closer to hands on the wheel. So yeah, completely different!

Oh, and I agree with Mooty, the biggest bang for the buck are the cables. The rest is just tweaking. Also, for 90% of us, you don't need to shift faster, so a short shifter is shortening the life of your transmission. The good news is the Numeric has the long throw setting which matches the standard shifter in the GT3, which is where mine is set.
Great feedback. Please elaborate on the centering spring, which one do you favor? CAE or Numeric? Would like to hear your thoughts on how the short shifter shortens the life of the transmission as well, this may be a learning I can benefit from to avoid unnecessary wear / stress on the device. I'm looking for precision and therefore efficiency, my current OEM short shifter "feels" like it's stressing the system the accomplish its task...I always feel that if you're trying too hard, you're doing something wrong which is why I want to make the change. Short isn't my issue, lack of precision is.

Thanks in advance...Mike.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:28 PM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Installing my Numeric today. Couple things:
1. If you have RSR shift cables, (car came this way) you need to remove post from the shift cable bracket, or 5th and 6th are not smooth.
2. Make sure all the centering washers for the stock shifter where it mounts are out of the way, one of mine was hiding.
3. Also the lateral shift cable attachment was missing a bolt, M6 fits great, lucky I have a full assortment of leftovers from many jobs...
Old 08-13-2013, 09:44 PM
Viperbob1
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The Numeric guys are great. They are local here in Tampa and actually they get their Cupcar serviced at our shop. The shifters are awesome. We had a few loaners that we would install before guys went to the track. Afterwards they all convert. It really makes that much of a difference.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:32 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by OpieT
Great feedback. Please elaborate on the centering spring, which one do you favor? CAE or Numeric? Would like to hear your thoughts on how the short shifter shortens the life of the transmission as well, this may be a learning I can benefit from to avoid unnecessary wear / stress on the device. I'm looking for precision and therefore efficiency, my current OEM short shifter "feels" like it's stressing the system the accomplish its task...I always feel that if you're trying too hard, you're doing something wrong which is why I want to make the change. Short isn't my issue, lack of precision is.

Thanks in advance...Mike.
You will get precision with both CAE and Numeric that's for sure. The centering spring is integral to the CAE shifter and requires extra effort to move out of the 3-4 gate which is a good thing. Other shifters including stock and Numeric rely on the centering springs in the transmission which are weaker. The stronger spring helps keep your movements more in line with the gates and prevent mis-shifts.

Regarding short shifters- I'm just repeating what I've heard from people that rebuilt my transmission and from other gear experts. As you move faster from gate to gate you are "rushing" the synchro's and wearing them out faster. On 997.2 GT3's the 2nd gear synchro is brass which wears quickly. When my transmission was regeared with 3.89 RS final drive gearing my second gear synchro while not bad, was already 50% at 15K miles, and this is with the regular shifter. Eventually as you wear down the synchro's the gears get worn as well (my 2nd had very minor signs of wear that without replacing the synchro in time would have caused issues. Things like heal and toeing and double clutching help tremendously in preventing wear when done properly. I replaced my synchro's with cup car steel synchros BTW.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:49 PM
OpieT
Rennlist Member

Thank you Montoya, something I need to have checked out for sure.

Originally Posted by montoya
You will get precision with both CAE and Numeric that's for sure. The centering spring is integral to the CAE shifter and requires extra effort to move out of the 3-4 gate which is a good thing. Other shifters including stock and Numeric rely on the centering springs in the transmission which are weaker. The stronger spring helps keep your movements more in line with the gates and prevent mis-shifts.

Regarding short shifters- I'm just repeating what I've heard from people that rebuilt my transmission and from other gear experts. As you move faster from gate to gate you are "rushing" the synchro's and wearing them out faster. On 997.2 GT3's the 2nd gear synchro is brass which wears quickly. When my transmission was regeared with 3.89 RS final drive gearing my second gear synchro while not bad, was already 50% at 15K miles, and this is with the regular shifter. Eventually as you wear down the synchro's the gears get worn as well (my 2nd had very minor signs of wear that without replacing the synchro in time would have caused issues. Things like heal and toeing and double clutching help tremendously in preventing wear when done properly. I replaced my synchro's with cup car steel synchros BTW.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:44 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

note the numeric offering can be set to standard, short or very short throw, I have mine in the standard position and don't see the need to go 'short'.

Missed gear changes will do more damage than a short shifter.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:30 PM
OpieT
Rennlist Member

Installed the Numeric & cables last night and went for a drive this morning...NICE! Love it, bolt action. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:58 PM
OpieT
Rennlist Member

The cable noise is significant...any best practices to resolve?
Old 08-18-2013, 11:19 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Keep it on the track! ^
Old 08-18-2013, 11:24 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,701 Likes on 2,342 Posts

keep driving it. you will get used to it and wont hear it anymore. i am serious.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:27 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

True!^
Old 08-18-2013, 11:46 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,038 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Get a louder exhaust...I have a fabspeed exhaust and I can't hear the noise from the cup cables.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:47 AM
OpieT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Get a louder exhaust...I have a fabspeed exhaust and I can't hear the noise from the cup cables.
Excellent recommendation...will do!

Is the noise generated from inside the sheath? Knowing it's source will ease my mind a ton.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:15 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,038 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Excellent recommendation...will do!

Is the noise generated from inside the sheath? Knowing it's source will ease my mind a ton.
I believe the noise is because the cup cables have no rubber to absorb the noise from the transmission so the noise resonates and you hear it through the opening of where the cable go into the cabin. My mechanic said it is totally normal and means that the cables are doing their job. This has to be the best short shifter set-up that I ever experienced whether it was aftermarket ones for the E46 M3, E92 M3, and the 996TT.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:50 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

Numeric shifter installed - wow it was waaaay easier than i expected. I think the hardest part was just the paranoia of removing the cf center console.

Stock unit is really beefy, but the nylon plastic absorbs all vibration and with it much of the tactile sensation. Can't wait for the numeric cables. having those added with some long tube headers i got from red bear by someone with more skill.

Quick Reply: Numeric Short Shifter / Cables