z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

woohoo!!
Old 07-20-2013, 01:30 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

^^yeah that straight line speed is awesome. Really hustling around the track in the corners too...very cool!
Old 07-20-2013, 03:20 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
^^yeah that straight line speed is awesome. Really hustling around the track in the corners too...very cool!
Dez is hauling in the Corners. I have seen several GT3' guys post their videos of VIR and through the S's DEZ is MOBBING compare to others i have seen.

AWESOME DRIVING.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:36 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

congrats dez. i knew my doors would take you to the next level ;-)
Old 07-20-2013, 01:13 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mooty in all honesty, those doors are one of the single biggest improvement that I have made to the car.

The car is fast on the straights, but VIR has a lot of technical sections and some courage check sections. Mike Skeen and James Clay within a few tenths in similarly prepped and powerful cars tells me im within reach. Also only been there once before in 08 for a DE. More seat time at vir and a set of stickers will prove helpful.

Still also just stuck the Pirellis on the car with an A6 setup. Dont know limits of them yet as it was my second session on them ever. Lots of improvement to be made.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:49 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang, so you never been back after out 1st trip up there
Old 07-20-2013, 01:56 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Originally Posted by wanna911
Mooty in all honesty, those doors are one of the single biggest improvement that I have made to the car.

The car is fast on the straights, but VIR has a lot of technical sections and some courage check sections. Mike Skeen and James Clay within a few tenths in similarly prepped and powerful cars tells me im within reach. Also only been there once before in 08 for a DE. More seat time at vir and a set of stickers will prove helpful.

Still also just stuck the Pirellis on the car with an A6 setup. Dont know limits of them yet as it was my second session on them ever. Lots of improvement to be made.
Dez, are you still on those JIC's ? We need to get you off those, it looks very tricky driving the car over those bumps. How the hell did you have traction ?
Old 07-20-2013, 02:36 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Don't know how to embed Vimeo, so just posting link.

https://vimeo.com/70668651
Wow!!!

I'm more impressed with speed through esses, and speed on turns, and you're on the limits everywhere.

What size slicks were you running, strange about rubbing, but Pirelli race tires are cut very wide. I have 255/305 x19, and the 255 is as wide as a 275 Hoosier A6x18. I also have the trofeo 265, and I could only run it for 2 sessions raising the car, because it rubs (Fiat runs a 295 A6 on the same wheels with no rubbing).

For shocks, Lex Carson at MCS, he was the best tech at Moton USA, and he helped me a lot (and many people). Ohlins are great but $$$, and their support is not remotely close to MCS.

Cross/JIC/Tein, these are the same Chinese poor shocks with misleading adjustments, lots of technical info on them, garbage.

Pirelli slicks are brutal, they run similar camber as A6 (in Fiat -3.8 front, -3.2 rear), and they run very low pressures, I start at 18-20psi, with target 26 psi at all corner, and my Fiat is heavier. On the Beetle, with more rear weight (plus aero weight from the wing), you could be a 24 psi front and 28 psi rear hot.

I agree, too many Hoosier slicks blow outs, documented, Hoosier was at Daytona with PBOC 2 years ago to monitor their product, and there were many explosions that weekend.

Are the front steering rods flat? looks like a little bump steer on that axle.

Raising the car messes up handling badly, I did it once with the Trofeo tires to avoid rubbing in the front, and lost 3 secs at Sebring not changing line, driver, or car, just by going up 1" on the front axle to avoid more damage to the fenders.

Considering that UTCC is no limits, and the pure race hardware that shows up, you did awesome.

Congratulations, and thanks for the video.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:33 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

rad is on

MCS is way to go
lex there is genius and helpful
Jerome "J" in JRZ is at MCS as well
Old 07-20-2013, 04:22 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by jenk12m
Dang, so you never been back after out 1st trip up there
Yes, but not on track. Drove up there last year for the NARRA event, drove the opening out lap and car died on the back straight, coasted to pits, dash lit up like christmas tree. Alternator had died, but it was throwing so many codes I wasn't sure, so took a nap and drove back home.

.65 laps at 2/10ths pace completed for 11hrs driving.

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Wow!!!

I'm more impressed with speed through esses, and speed on turns, and you're on the limits everywhere.

What size slicks were you running, strange about rubbing, but Pirelli race tires are cut very wide. I have 255/305 x19, and the 255 is as wide as a 275 Hoosier A6x18. I also have the trofeo 265, and I could only run it for 2 sessions raising the car, because it rubs (Fiat runs a 295 A6 on the same wheels with no rubbing).

For shocks, Lex Carson at MCS, he was the best tech at Moton USA, and he helped me a lot (and many people). Ohlins are great but $$$, and their support is not remotely close to MCS.

Cross/JIC/Tein, these are the same Chinese poor shocks with misleading adjustments, lots of technical info on them, garbage.

Pirelli slicks are brutal, they run similar camber as A6 (in Fiat -3.8 front, -3.2 rear), and they run very low pressures, I start at 18-20psi, with target 26 psi at all corner, and my Fiat is heavier. On the Beetle, with more rear weight (plus aero weight from the wing), you could be a 24 psi front and 28 psi rear hot.

I agree, too many Hoosier slicks blow outs, documented, Hoosier was at Daytona with PBOC 2 years ago to monitor their product, and there were many explosions that weekend.

Are the front steering rods flat? looks like a little bump steer on that axle.

Raising the car messes up handling badly, I did it once with the Trofeo tires to avoid rubbing in the front, and lost 3 secs at Sebring not changing line, driver, or car, just by going up 1" on the front axle to avoid more damage to the fenders.

Considering that UTCC is no limits, and the pure race hardware that shows up, you did awesome.

Congratulations, and thanks for the video.

A compliment from Rad! Now that is something to be proud of!

Slicks are 265/640/18 front and 325/650 rear. It's only rubbing on one side which is the right rear which has less negative camber than the left rear. I think more negative camber might solve the issue. Otherwise going to a 325/640 or 305/645

My rear camber is super low right around 2.0. Front's are more normal well over 3. It's staggered a bit as the setup is for Road Atlanta which is mostly right handers. Big rear camber does not put power down exiting corners so I keep the rear tires flatter. Plus I'm well under the acceptable geometry range for the stock uprights so it prevents tire explosions. And the 12.5 inch wheels don't allow too much without rubbing spring.

It's a compromise, but it works.

The JIC are custom valved and I've been running variations of them for 7 years. They are as good as anything on smooth surfaces, but struggle when it's bumpy. I know them so well, I feel like I will have to start over with a new setup. And can never make up my mind on the amount of adjustments. Honestly something like the JIC (single adjustable) with great curb manners, would be perfect.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:05 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

I know what you mean, the more adjustments the longer it takes to find that optimal setting. We don't have a race team around us that can do the changes while we rest from driving lol.

That said, don't do 305 on a 12.5 pzero slick. I use 305s, on a 12 inch mind you I only get take offs from used race teams. 305s are stretched on a 12. Not only that, you won't have rear grip.
Mooty can confirm, he was following me at tunderhill a few months back,
And my back end was twitchy, I couldn't get on the power as early as I like.. Maybe my tires were shot? Maybe I need an lsd.

Try more rear camber first, I run 2.6 if I recall correctly.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:25 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

That is some serious driving!
Old 07-20-2013, 10:44 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Dwane
That is some serious driving!
Thanks Dwane!

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
I know what you mean, the more adjustments the longer it takes to find that optimal setting. We don't have a race team around us that can do the changes while we rest from driving lol.

That said, don't do 305 on a 12.5 pzero slick. I use 305s, on a 12 inch mind you I only get take offs from used race teams. 305s are stretched on a 12. Not only that, you won't have rear grip.
Mooty can confirm, he was following me at tunderhill a few months back,
And my back end was twitchy, I couldn't get on the power as early as I like.. Maybe my tires were shot? Maybe I need an lsd.

Try more rear camber first, I run 2.6 if I recall correctly.
The Pirelli engineer at the event said the 305 would be too narrow as well. I'm taking the car back to the shop to see if we can get the 325's to work. Rolling the fenders, maybe pulling them a tad. I have some 12 inch rear wheels that did not rub at Road Atlanta but the matching fronts are an inch narrower.

LSD will help you catch the twitchiness, not stop it. Basically like AWD. New Pirelli's would solve that too..... But $2400 a set.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:58 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts

Frickin awesome

Peter
Old 07-21-2013, 12:41 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Frickin awesome

Peter
Thanks Peter.

Here is a Video of one of my TT1 competitors. Car is a Gen 3 (I think) Viper built by Archer Racing. Keith is the founder and co-owner of HP tuners and this is the fastest non ACR-X/Comp Coupe there is IMO. His maintained speed through the esses is UNREAL!!!! Car looks super stable.

Keith ran a sticker set of Pirelli's on Sat, and then another set on Sunday when he won with a 1:55.7 vs my 1:55.8. Him and Troy Messer are neck and neck for the TT1 "World Championship" and man is it ever competitive! Going to come down to the very last race at Sebring in Nov.

https://vimeo.com/70409603#at=0

Quick Reply: OT: Congrats Wanna911