Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Sexy new Panorama magazine.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 03:58 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
the old absolute sound was the best magazine i have ever read.
the new version is good, but doesn't have the community on fire like the old one did. mooty, you should reconsider subscribing....some exciting gear out there to get addicted to.
I think TAS, which used to be qualitatively neck and neck with Stereophile, has in recent years opened up a big lead - certainly if page count and number of gear and music reviews are any indicators (though one of the main reviewers is more than a bit...pompous).

'Phile is getting so thin, I fear it may gear simply blow away one day...I'd miss Fremer, Dudley et al if that happened.

Now, back to the regularly scheduled dissing of the 991 GTR...
Old 07-22-2013, 04:34 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,663 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
You cats are so slippery slope. Bad influence, for sure.
put the vacuum tubes down and step away.
they do you no good.
just step on the throttle, that's all the music you wille ever need.

triod, you still read 'phile? the train has left the station.... it's gone way down hill.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:13 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm... http://www.hpsoundings.com/2013/04/w...bsolute-sound/

This guy sounds like someone I'd love to get to know. Extraordinarily passionate, with integrity. Also appears to be living proof that you can do great media on just about anything.

Eons ago, I looked at going to school to become a sound engineer, but got distracted. Maybe I should have been reading TAS.

pete
awesome!
you found harry pearson's new venture. he is still writing with verve and gusto!

back in the day, his magazine was such a great read.
very well-written with an ever-open-to-anything worldly view and published in a journal-style format (like the old reader's digest) with minimal ads.
it created the most wonderful dialogue between writer/s and reader/s in the huge, mostly unedited letter's section which flourished in the ages of slow-mail, with readers inspired to write virtual essays on anything and everything related to music and beyond.
i only started reading in the late 90's, but recently had the opportunity to purchase a parcel of over 100 back issues dating from the early 90's.
i bought them off a gentleman in melbourne, and he was practically giving them away, as nobody had responded to his classified for quite some time.
in this digital age, it's such a luxury to savour (and continually re-visit) a good magazine, no matter the subject content.
i am over the moon, and will cherish them forever, along with old issues of excellence, vanity fair, wallpaper and monocle.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:19 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
put the vacuum tubes down and step away.
they do you no good.
just step on the throttle, that's all the music you wille ever need.
leave 'young boy editor' well alone to discover new/old pathways!

for instance, after years of tubes, i just bought my first solid state amp in 10 years.
but i will never give up the valves; i switch between the two, depending on mood..
Old 07-22-2013, 11:32 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by triode
I think TAS, which used to be qualitatively neck and neck with Stereophile, has in recent years opened up a big lead - certainly if page count and number of gear and music reviews are any indicators (though one of the main reviewers is more than a bit...pompous).

'Phile is getting so thin, I fear it may gear simply blow away one day...I'd miss Fremer, Dudley et al if that happened.

Now, back to the regularly scheduled dissing of the 991 GTR...
agreed, tas is miles ahead, even though jv sit's pretty in his stratosphere....if only fremer and mejias would switch camps, then 'phile would be laid to rest.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:36 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Thanks, boys and girls—and Adam.

Seriously, this may be the hardest-core forum I know—never shy to call something out and filled with serious drivers and enthusiasts—so these comments mean a tremendous amount to me.

Still waiting to see if "Mooty" really exists, however. So far, not buying it. A brilliant move on your collective's part, tho'...

pete
Actually the "Pre-Stout" Pano was the #1 reason I let my PCA membership lapse, at the end I simply picked it up off the garage floor with all the other "junk" mail and tossed it straight in the recycling ... didnt even waste my time taking it out of the envelope...

I *might* be tempted to renew again now!
Old 07-23-2013, 07:03 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Actually the "Pre-Stout" Pano was the #1 reason I let my PCA membership lapse, at the end I simply picked it up off the garage floor with all the other "junk" mail and tossed it straight in the recycling ... didnt even waste my time taking it out of the envelope...

I *might* be tempted to renew again now!

Let me put it this way...Excellence was THE #1 Porsche mag, period end of discussion.

New Pano--esp with the larger format--is now #1. Had both of the "new" issues last night, cant believe it but Pano has passed Excellence...wonder why

Great job Pete ! Didn't think anyone could revive Pano but you did it in only a few months. Well done !

Bill
Old 07-24-2013, 11:20 AM
onelove
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Love the new format, found myself reading it cover to cover whereas I'd quickly browse through in the past. Looks like they've stepped up their photography and editorial content at the same time as the size increase.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:39 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks, boys and girls—and Adam.

Seriously, this may be the hardest-core forum I know—never shy to call something out and filled with serious drivers and enthusiasts—so these comments mean a tremendous amount to me.

Still waiting to see if "Mooty" really exists, however. So far, not buying it. A brilliant move on your collective's part, tho'...

pete
Nice work on the new look and content Pete. Now I have something else to do with Panorama after I flip to the back and search for orange 997.1 RSs for sale....like read the rest of the magazine!
Old 07-24-2013, 07:06 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Nice Job. The previous "politically correct" magazine team was in charge far too long and did a lot of damage.

Back to the current issue. The organization of the cars for sale section is a challenge. Note the "911" section then later areas for 930, 993, 996, and 997. I assume the problem is the ad's header line as submitted by the owner.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:16 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,312 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by enthusiast
The organization of the cars for sale section is a challenge. Note the "911" section then later areas for 930, 993, 996, and 997. I assume the problem is the ad's header line as submitted by the owner.
Oh, there are many things I have already marked for improvement...and The Mart is definitely one. Your concern has already been addressed in the next issue. It is indeed a result of the front-end website entry—which is its own little sandbox of fun.

So many areas for evolution, so little time. We'll get there!

Thanks!

pete
Old 07-24-2013, 08:50 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 868 Likes on 573 Posts

Pure satire...
<snip>

We've gotten enough angry letters (6-7, to be precise) to suggest some folks are either a bit thin-skinned or we got it wrong. Have to consider that in the future.

New writers, new audience...
No thin-skin here. I liked the commentary.

Maybe you can get Ilko to sort out a deal on these?

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...mographic.html

Cheers

Craig
Old 07-24-2013, 10:17 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
No thin-skin here. I liked the commentary.

Maybe you can get Ilko to sort out a deal on these?

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...mographic.html

Cheers

Craig
On it.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:19 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by WSH
Let me put it this way...Excellence was THE #1 Porsche mag, period end of discussion.
+1 I treasure all my back issues. So many gems in that stack of magazines.

Now, I'm going to have to join PCA (I get a very full P-car experience without it: track, C&C, p-car friends, etc.). But if the magazine is that good now, I have to subscribe! I like to celebrate peoples accomplishments when I see them... Pete, you have amazing talent and skills. I really appreciate the work you do.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:58 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Android and iPad app

Another surprise trick shot from the Pano folks: the app.
Android and iPad versions, as well as a PC app. Cool as it gets.

June and July issues are there now. Hopefully we'll see more back issues digitized and perhaps some value add like video from Pebble this year -- from the "spy" photos of cars in transit to Pebble, there should be some rather unique Porsches there that deserve to be seen and heard in motion.

http://web.pca.org/email_template/pca_panorama.html

Quick Reply: Sexy new Panorama magazine.