Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 gearbox - cooling it down

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 02:22 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
randy's radio has no transistor, think vac tubes.

you dont want to know what's in pj's trailer. have you chk'd out the super long cool studs and glowing yellow nuts holding his new shiny BBS E88's.... they came from some crazy's garage down south.
Dammit, more secret stuff!
Old 07-29-2013, 12:05 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aim solo :-)
Old 07-29-2013, 12:25 PM
rja
Rennlist Member

Thanks for info Montoya. Never even considered dynamic engine mount. Never even considered DEM. I'm open to trying solid mounts but seems like a long shot since problem is heat related and if engine mounts I'd think problem would present all the time. What's the downside of solid mounts? I assume less daily comfort & vibration transmitted into cabin, in which case I don't care. Anything else? Thanks again!
Old 07-29-2013, 11:08 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rja
Thanks for info Montoya. Never even considered dynamic engine mount. Never even considered DEM. I'm open to trying solid mounts but seems like a long shot since problem is heat related and if engine mounts I'd think problem would present all the time. What's the downside of solid mounts? I assume less daily comfort & vibration transmitted into cabin, in which case I don't care. Anything else? Thanks again!
Roland, in a way it is heat related since the "heat" you put in your tires and the cornering speeds increase as you run through a session. I found it happening in all temperatures, from low 60's to high 90's but rarely at the start of a session. Also, I question the reliability of the DEM's- one or more of them failing once the car is fully warmed up is a common failure mode with any electronics- much less this piece of chemical/aerospace/microprocessor engineering in our cars. It only has to be intermittent at the right time to have a botched shift. How you could test it out other than replacing them (at I think at least a $1000) is anyone's guess. The best test is what I did. Replacing with a solid mount- instantly better.

Now, as to comfort noise etc. More noise is transmitted in the cabin, if you already have cup cables it's like 10% more noise. Comfort, really no change other than the noise and oh maybe a nice level of satisfaction from the smoother gear action of the shifter. I think the semi solid would probably accomplish the same thing but quieter, but not having tried it, I don't know.

What have you got to loose, it's a cheap 1.5 hour tech time job, or DIY (look for Mikymu's post on engine mounts), and pick your mount from Rennline, WEVO, and others. I think you will be amazed at the difference.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:51 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
What have you got to loose, it's a cheap 1.5 hour tech time job, or DIY (look for Mikymu's post on engine mounts), and pick your mount from Rennline, WEVO, and others. I think you will be amazed at the difference.
O.K., Montoya... I'm holding your feet to the fire on this one. I'm scared ****less of carelessly damaging the tranny again (ouch, that was EXPENSIVE!), so I'll do just about anything that might make a difference.

If this doesn't work as advertised... well, then you owe me a tee shirt!
Old 07-30-2013, 12:45 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by P.J.S.
Aim solo :-)
About that, it's very cool, but now I want the full kit- Solo DL and maybe HD Smartcam. Let me do more research...
Old 07-30-2013, 01:00 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
O.K., Montoya... I'm holding your feet to the fire on this one. I'm scared ****less of carelessly damaging the tranny again (ouch, that was EXPENSIVE!), so I'll do just about anything that might make a difference.

If this doesn't work as advertised... well, then you owe me a tee shirt!
No problem! It doesn't hurt to try. I think as we push these cars this is one component or system that doesn't keep up, or as I said fails intermittently under hot conditions. I know it sounds strange, but I could feel the difference driving on the street in the first mile.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:02 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

About that, it's very cool, but now I want the full kit- Solo DL and maybe HD Smartcam. Let me do more research...
No returns
Sell it
:-)
Old 07-30-2013, 01:09 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by P.J.S.
No returns
Sell it
You got it! A deals a deal! I'll probably play with it first.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:35 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

^ bring the shoring beams and pins to pt sept

Old 07-30-2013, 02:06 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Of course! We need to grind on the NorCal crew for a ORP/Miller track week.

Lar, Mooty, DRL, Chasen, Orlando... Lets do it guys!
Old 07-30-2013, 02:11 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,685 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Roland, in a way it is heat related since the "heat" you put in your tires and the cornering speeds increase as you run through a session. I found it happening in all temperatures, from low 60's to high 90's but rarely at the start of a session. Also, I question the reliability of the DEM's- one or more of them failing once the car is fully warmed up is a common failure mode with any electronics- much less this piece of chemical/aerospace/microprocessor engineering in our cars. It only has to be intermittent at the right time to have a botched shift. How you could test it out other than replacing them (at I think at least a $1000) is anyone's guess. The best test is what I did. Replacing with a solid mount- instantly better.

Now, as to comfort noise etc. More noise is transmitted in the cabin, if you already have cup cables it's like 10% more noise. Comfort, really no change other than the noise and oh maybe a nice level of satisfaction from the smoother gear action of the shifter. I think the semi solid would probably accomplish the same thing but quieter, but not having tried it, I don't know.

semi solid on my 6gt3 stripper
solid on 6 cup
if full track car, go solid
if you drive on street to the track, semi solid.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:24 AM
rja
Rennlist Member

Thanks Montoya. I'll give the solid mounts a try. I have little to loose. I'm to the point where the noisier the cabin the better -- just one more track in a cacophony of sounds that's starting to sound like music. When I first purchased the car, my wife would ask what's that clattering sound (referring to the gearbox noise at idle w/ clutch out in neutral). Now with Akra race exhaust, cup cables, etc., it all sounds loud but perfectly normal No one thing stands out.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:05 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 196 Posts

^ Exactly. There's harmony in this aural chaos of ours. They're just too quiet from the factory.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:46 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

try semi solid trans mount, it makes the most difference.

Quick Reply: GT3 gearbox - cooling it down