Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 gearbox - cooling it down

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 09:02 AM
dawgdog
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

rja, I thought you already had the solid mount. I couldn't bear the cabin noise of the 95 durometer GMG mount and now have Colin's 85 durometer mount with the aluminum sleeve. You are welcome to take my car out for a session on the 9, 10th or 11th as I am attending all three. I have not noticed the issue but then I am not nearly as fast as you are so probably not applying the same stresses.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:59 PM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Carl, you're talking tranny mounts, Montoya is talking engine mounts...
Old 07-30-2013, 05:04 PM
rja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CRex, I love your avatar!! Carl, as Jamie says, talking about motor mounts here. I do have the harder tranny mounts. Very nice offer Carl but I could never take you up on that. Much appreciated though!
Old 07-30-2013, 10:52 PM
dawgdog
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What does a solid engine mount due to cabin noise? I would need a louder exhaust to hear the engine! Roland, I would be totally comfortable with you driving my car and would probably learn a lot as a passenger. But I understand your concerns.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:57 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by dawgdog
What does a solid engine mount due to cabin noise? I would need a louder exhaust to hear the engine! Roland, I would be totally comfortable with you driving my car and would probably learn a lot as a passenger. But I understand your concerns.
Not too much louder compared with my car with Akra, cup cables, LWFW. Like I said, 10% louder on my scale. You hear more at low speed than anything else.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:20 PM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I didn't notice any change in noise or vibration with semi solid engine mounts especially compare the the addition of the semi solid tran's mounts.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:51 AM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Carl Mine has Wevo solid mounts in it you're welcome to ride with me if you like...
Old 08-19-2013, 03:20 AM
rja
Rennlist Member

Here's an update on my gear selection woes. Overall, gear selection is (and has been) very good, but there have been some trouble spots and hence this thread. When all is well, it's by far the best shift setup of any car I've ever driven.

Background:
--
- Cup cables
- Numeric shifter set to longest throw possible -- short shifters are stupid IMO and hopefully redesign means no more breaking in half!
- 4.0 pressure plate

Since my last post, inspection of gearbox area revealed that some of the tranny mount bushing material was melted away and severely compromised. Cantrell added a new semi-solid bushing material.

Also, I asked Cantrell to duct some cooling to the gearbox area (shown below). I'm skeptical this will really help and -- and it goes against scientific method to change one variable at a time -- but I really want to put an end to crunched shifts since it cannot be good for the gearbox.

Report:
--

First thing noticed is addition of semi-solid tranny mount made a significant difference in sound of engine from inside the cabin (not bad, just different). Initial reaction was somethings wrong, but then I listened to dawgdawgs car (same mount) and his car had same character.

As for the shifting, the situation is better but still no cigar. The one area I'm having problems -- each and every time -- is at the top of the hill out of 10 and into 11 for those of you familiar w/ The Ridge. I typically like to row 4->3->2 and started skipping 3 to work around the issue. It's not the only place that requires a 4->3->2 so there's something about the lead-up to T11.

I'm thinking the stiffer motor mount suggestion may hold water and Cantrell is investigating a pair for me (we want to make sure not DME / CEL issues). If you look at the plot in the screenshot below, the vertical line is exactly where you'll hear the crunch from me attempting to downshift 4->3 if you were to watch the video. You'll see that there's a good bit of longitudinal load due to breaking and there's a shift lateral loading from left to right, with 0g right where the problem occurs. The combination of these forces (and transition of) may very well be behind the problem -- just a theory since I have no practical way of verifying.

So, I'm going to pursue a semi-solid engine mount as a next step and will report back.
Attached Images   
Old 08-19-2013, 03:29 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Just put in the solid engine mounts and be done with this. I haven't had an issue since I changed to solid from DEM's. 4 track days and no mis-shifts at all.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:37 AM
rja
Rennlist Member

Lol. That's the plan. I've read potential issues w/ swapping out the dynamic engine mounts for solids (or semi-solids). Would already have them if not for this concern. Cantrell is investigating. Did you have the dynamic engine mounts? Thanks for your advice.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:07 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rja
Lol. That's the plan. I've read potential issues w/ swapping out the dynamic engine mounts for solids (or semi-solids). Would already have them if not for this concern. Cantrell is investigating. Did you have the dynamic engine mounts? Thanks for your advice.
Sorry for the delay in response, what issues are you talking about? I had DEM's other than disconnecting the wires, solids are a drop in replacement. You will have an alarm without them, but you can delete the DEM's through the Porsche computer thingy. Bottom line, I don't think the DEM's hold up to track abuse and simply wear out, quickly I might add. No other explanation for the immediate improvement. The DEM's in my car I'm sure were functioning, just not the way they did when new.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:49 AM
rja
Rennlist Member

Solid mounts going in so I'll report next week. Thanks for advice
Old 08-23-2013, 06:27 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

decode the DEM, then unplug the module I believe is the correct way to get ride of codes/warnings. It stops the other ecu's (modules) looking for the DEM in the first place.

Jay
Old 09-18-2013, 11:09 PM
rja
Rennlist Member

Just following up on this thread. I didn't want to report back prematurely. Montoya, you were right. With the solid engine mounts, all of my (car) issues are gone Three track events on them so far. Thank you! No issues w/ CEL, etc. either. Followed Jay's guidance (thanks for that too!)
Old 09-19-2013, 02:05 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rja
Just following up on this thread. I didn't want to report back prematurely. Montoya, you were right. With the solid engine mounts, all of my (car) issues are gone Three track events on them so far. Thank you! No issues w/ CEL, etc. either. Followed Jay's guidance (thanks for that too!)
I hate being right all the time! Glad to hear that it is working fine now- kinda miraculous isn't it? Or stupid for Porsche to make such a cool whiz bang device that doesn't hold up to regular track use for more than a few thousand miles. To think I paid to have my DEM's retrofited- (I'm not right all the time, that's a fact!).

Quick Reply: GT3 gearbox - cooling it down