Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Corvette C7 (Despite the other "off topic" attempts)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 01:16 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Those rotor cooling rings are weird. How in the heck does that thing cool the rotors? Can't you just use a better brake fluid? Does the new Vette really have that bad of brake cooling. What a major pain to take those rings on and off every month for track events....so confused!
+1

So, before and after each track day you need to pull off everything down to the knuckle and hub so that you can free the rotor to twist on, and untwist or cut off, stainless steel bailing wire?

Umm, the jokes just write themselves.
'

'

Last edited by JohnnyBahamas; 03-05-2014 at 02:32 PM. Reason: just wanna write "bailing wire" again
Old 03-05-2014, 02:55 PM
pranqster
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Spring Mountain is currently operating the C7 GM sales associates training on the Corvettes. They are running approximately 80 people a week through the training progarm. The Sales Associates that are receiving the training are daily driving the C7 Corvettes on the Spring Mountain Track. At some point I will know a lot about the reliability of these cars. I rode as a passenger in one of the C7's for 5 laps or so around the track and was impressed with what it could do with the Michelin Super sport tires. Will it need an oil cooler, different brakes, different seats? Who knows. The price point for a new one is similar to a used 2004 GT3, and you can get a manual transmission.

I put different brakes on my GT3. I put a light weight fly wheel in. I had to spend 3k plus for pinning the coolant fittings and did the water pump at the same time. I am certain that the C7 would need some things to make it more robust for the track.

I am not interested in one right now, but will consider a C7 or Z06 in the future. Especially if it has a manual transmission. It depends a lot about the electronic nannies also. There are a few of us that appreciate our abiltity to drive at the ragged edge, rather than having the electronics manage that edge away. Is that how a Z06 will be? Who knows.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:05 PM
pranqster
Rennlist Member

The time to do this would be when the Z06 comes out. We might be able to get a group together to do an advanced class in the Z06's with only advanced drivers, and join up with the GT3 group we have at Spring Mountain (7-10 GT3's) to run nose to tail on a members weekend. That would be very fun.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I think it's time for me to fly to Ron Fellows if you get to drive the car hard and till the tank is empty, that should be a good test.

I'll look at their website.

Where can we so driving schools with the new GT3? Oh wait....
Old 03-05-2014, 03:26 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by seapar
I am going to Las Vegas mid May to level 2 Ron Fellows school . I will be asking such questions before I track my C7 in earnest. Meanwhile the GT3 is ready to go. Just waiting for a break from the rain (Seattle).
Originally Posted by pranqster
The time to do this would be when the Z06 comes out. We might be able to get a group together to do an advanced class in the Z06's with only advanced drivers, and join up with the GT3 group we have at Spring Mountain (7-10 GT3's) to run nose to tail on a members weekend. That would be very fun.

Right, I have it on my list to check out and fly to.
Maybe later today;

http://www.springmountainmotorsports...riving-schools

Any suggestions for me?
What group can an experienced DE guy sign up for? Can you push the car hard?

Why not do it now with a Z51? We can always bolt on Z06 parts or sell and buy a Z06 later.
I want to take delivery after the summer anyway, so maybe a 2015 with data/video option.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:33 PM
pranqster
Rennlist Member

Peter

Check your PM

There are upper level classes, but there are some limitations based upon other classmates. You could set up a special class of 8-12 and you would get to track the cars quite a bit. The other information is in a PM to you.

QUOTE=TRAKCAR;11188282]Right, I have it on my list to check out and fly to.
Maybe later today;

http://www.springmountainmotorsports...riving-schools

Any suggestions for me?
What group can an experienced DE guy sign up for? Can you push the car hard?

Why not do it now with a Z51? We can always bolt on Z06 parts or sell and buy a Z06 later.
I want to take delivery after the summer anyway, so maybe a 2015 with data/video option.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-05-2014, 05:05 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Replied with an e-mail; Thank you!
Old 03-05-2014, 06:50 PM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 78 Posts

It's tough to tell from those installation instructions whether or not the really need to be removed after every track event. But considering the "tracking instructions" also state to have the car realigned and go back to street brake fluid, something tells me that taking them off might not be a necessity. Then again, that raises the question as to why not have these on every 'vette all of the time? As far as I can tell, having cooler brakes is never a bad thing.

Edit: just saw that the instructions state that corrosion could result from not taking them off.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:09 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

F that. Brakes would be the my first upgrade
Old 03-05-2014, 07:49 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
F that. Brakes would be the my first upgrade
The new z06/07 has ceramics so like the gt3s do you take off and change to steel or run the $$ ceramic rotors.?? All cars need some mods depending on your # track days and skill level.
I have my c7 in between steet and track alignment . Will change to 15-50W Mobil one when warmer temp and will see after Ron Fellows track day if rotor cooling rings and/or brake fluid upgrade necessary for DE type events.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:18 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Buying big brakes is easy, no?

Seapar, you run the Corvette out of brakes quickly?
Old 03-06-2014, 01:08 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

I just hit 1500 miles on my C7 so I haven't run it on a track just a Porsche car control clinic. Still learning to enjoy/drive my 997.1 GT3 as a dedicated track car. This has the GT2 seats, 6 pt belts and as you know super fun on the track. The C7 is my DD. At the Spring Mountain track I will drive their C7s. Wife will be visiting a friend when I am tracking those 2 days in May at the Ron Fellows school.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:40 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

So possible corrosion with the cooling rings? Well I'm a cleaning nut case so I bet I can get around the corrosion deal. Or just get aftermarket rotors that don't need these stupid rings. Looking at C6 rotors...those can be had for around $250 a pair so,I can't imagine c7 rotors to be anymore.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:16 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the z51 rotors are more.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:21 PM
werks
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seapar
The new z06/07 has ceramics so like the gt3s do you take off and change to steel or run the $$ ceramic rotors.?? All cars need some mods depending on your # track days and skill level.
I have my c7 in between steet and track alignment . Will change to 15-50W Mobil one when warmer temp and will see after Ron Fellows track day if rotor cooling rings and/or brake fluid upgrade necessary for DE type events.
From what I'm hearing from guys the stock C7 rotors are not really up to the task for tracking (even with the cooling rings lol), so those you are probably going to want to upgrade after a few track days. On the new Z06/Z07 based on my experience with tracking my C6 Z06/Z07 I'd just leave the ceramic disks on the car. Brake component pricing has come down significantly recently and replacement pad pricing is now about $340 for the fronts and $250 for rears. Front pads last about 5 track days, rears about 7. Rotors pricing has also dropped significantly and the last set I picked up a few months ago brand new the CCB rotors and hats were only $800ea for the front and $1100ea for the rears. Front rotors will last about 5-6 pad changes (25-30 track days) and my old rears are still on and good after 5 pad changes (35 track days) but getting close to min weight (so maybe another 1-2 pad changes left on them). That's about 1 season of tracking for me so even the most hardcore track driver should get an entire year at least out of a set!

Seapar, I've done the level 1 & 2 at Spring Mountain and if you are doing the 2 day level 1 class I'd highly recommend that you add the third day. The cost increase is minimal and it all comes together the 3rd day which is basically a day of lead follow with instuctors and open lapping. So everything comes together that day and you actually imho get more track time that day than the previous 2 days put together.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:51 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

I am actually doing the level 2 class. 2 day. May come out a few days earlier to get a ride along with an instructor to "see" the track.

Quick Reply: Corvette C7 (Despite the other "off topic" attempts)