Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

What align & sway settings for 997.1 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 05:43 PM
wogamax
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

In a 997.1 GT3, I took camber in front as negative as possible (~-2.5 deg) and kept the common .5 degree differential, with the rear (-2.0). You'll still wear street tires on the inside, but if you are lapping quickly, you will also wear the outsides of your track tires. It's a compromise, for a car that, IMO, really needs its front towers spun 180 degrees to get what is probably a better -3.0. I don't know if spring rate/ride height was raised for 997.2's. I don't really street anymore, and that's what I'd do next.

I agree on the larger front spoiler, and got sage advice to set the rear wing to its highest slope. I think there's a reason GT3 wings got bigger over time, and cringe to think what could happen with a selectively lowered 997.1 rear, and not making these other changes. I'm thinking of air getting under the car, as you go over a hill (like WGI's S's), or around a long sweeper with a crest. Porsche has been making a big deal about correct mating of front / rear spoilers, at least since at least the 80's. It can really matter at the speeds (and throttle) of a GT3.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:57 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

Rake is super important as well. Make sure it's at least stock, or lower in rear by a few mm. It will move static weight to rear and make the car more stable before you start moving weight to the rear (i.e. 1/3 of the way to the apex) as you start accelerating out of the corner. That loose feeling is the major way the car undermines my confidence.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:25 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 62 Posts

hmmm my ride height is stock...maybe i should consider adjusting
Old 06-14-2013, 07:58 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

That isn't enough camber for hoosiers. You might want to consider running nitto instead if you want to run a less aggressive alignment. Not that you can't run hoosiers like that, but you're not getting the performance out of them you're paying for...

However, you can run a less agressive alignment... and still have great track performance on a very fast r comp tire. That same alignment will go easy on your street tires too.

It's hard to have a dual purpose car. Something has to be compromised.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:03 PM
johnwb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I had my first DE experience in my new to me (2007) GT3.
Wow! What a car. It does everything better than my 997.1 C2S.

The car is crazy fast and the higher redline is intoxicating.

Following our discussion on this thread I had the car aligned, corner balanced and had the OEM sways adjusted.

Alignment (camber/toe)
-2.3/.01
-2.0/.14

Front anti-sway = one from full soft
Rear anti-sway = full firm

I didn't push things too hard as my goal was not to be the guy that crashes his new GT3 on its first trip to the track. Mission accomplished.

I easily matched my best lap time in my C2S but didn't even try to push it beyond that. The braking points are all so different with the PCCBs and I didn't begin to explore them.

The alignment/sway settings felt very good. Neutral handling and it felt pretty predictable. Tire wear on Hoosier R6 was good. All in all I'd say it's set up well and I can't wait to be back on the track in late September to begin to explore this new car.

One bad thing happened. One coolant fitting failed and I dumped my coolant. Fortunately I didn't spin and neither did my friends behind me. I have filed a complaint with the NHTSA and my shop has pulled the engine and is welding all of the fittings.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:05 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by johnwb
One bad thing happened. One coolant fitting failed and I dumped my coolant. Fortunately I didn't spin and neither did my friends behind me. I have filed a complaint with the NHTSA and my shop has pulled the engine and is welding all of the fittings.
Glad nothing bad happened.

Curious:
Miles on your car? How much track time prior to your ownership?
Old 08-13-2013, 12:00 AM
johnwb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

23,000 miles. To my understanding I'm the first to put track miles on it. About 1.5 hours.

Quick Reply: What align & sway settings for 997.1 GT3?