Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Bay area bound for my new car this Friday!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013 | 10:48 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Congrats Steve, long way from Supra days, isn't it?
Sounds like a great car.
Btw, care to share some picts/details as I am confused as to whether it's a GT3RS or GT3?
What ever it is, white are not only the sharpest but the fastest 911's too
Old 05-30-2013 | 01:03 AM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Here are a few quick pictures of the car from the appraisal I had performed. Thanks for the kind words, and of course I look forward to bringing it to some car events in my own region soon!

Attached Images     
Old 05-30-2013 | 01:49 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Nice grab! Hope to see you at some track days around here soon!
Old 05-30-2013 | 05:29 AM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

+1

Congrats! Looking forward to more pics.

Thanks for sharing, and enjoy!
Old 05-30-2013 | 08:27 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

Steve - with such a fantastic car, and the perfect opportunity to really drive it, I would highly recommend this route home to avoid I-5 for hours and hours (and many speed traps):

From San Rafael (or Mill Valley, where Sonnen is), 101 north to Hwy 36 (just south of Fortuna)
36 east to Hwy 3 (out in the middle of nowhere)
Hwy 3 north through Hayfork, Weaverville and the Trinity Alps to Yreka, where you can get on I-5.

Tomorrow should be spectacular weather, traffic along this route will be minimal, and non-existent from the time you hit 36 until you get back on I-5 at Yreka.

These roads are spectacular, in very good condition (most of the route has been repaved in the past couple of years) and you will enjoy spectacular scenery along the way. You will really be able to drive the snot out of your RS on these roads without having to worry about other cars or law enforcement (not that there's anything wrong with that! )

Just make sure you fill up before you get on Hwy 36 (so Scotia would be a good place), because there will not be another chance to get gas until Hayfork.

This route will take a couple of hours longer than the drone on I-5, but it will be some of the best couple of hours you have ever spent driving a sports car, I promise!

Andy
Old 05-31-2013 | 12:07 AM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Hey Andy,

Many thanks to you and the other guys for virtually cheering me on...I'm packing right now for my trip and really pumped up!

I will be taking you up on your suggestion for that drive. There aren't many times in my life that I'll be able to enjoy the open roads of NorCal, and this will be the finest time ever to do it in my new-to-me GT3. I have no doubt it's going to be a lifetime memory based on your feedback and what I already know about those roads.

Thanks again!
Old 05-31-2013 | 04:06 AM
D-Uber Cars
Racer

This excitement must have been killing you. Congrads and enjoy your epic drive back home. Love the color!
Old 05-31-2013 | 11:20 AM
richk
Drifting

Congrats to you! Enjoy the drive home in your new beauty.
Old 05-31-2013 | 12:03 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

FANTASTIC suggestion!

Originally Posted by Porscheholic
Steve - with such a fantastic car, and the perfect opportunity to really drive it, I would highly recommend this route home to avoid I-5 for hours and hours (and many speed traps):

From San Rafael (or Mill Valley, where Sonnen is), 101 north to Hwy 36 (just south of Fortuna)
36 east to Hwy 3 (out in the middle of nowhere)
Hwy 3 north through Hayfork, Weaverville and the Trinity Alps to Yreka, where you can get on I-5.
Andy
Old 05-31-2013 | 12:16 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Oh my that's a beauty Drive safe.
Old 05-31-2013 | 04:03 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

Steve - cool, I can't wait to hear how your drive back home was! I'm headed over to the Lagunitas brewery in Petaluma for a "bank meeting" - which means lunch and a bunch of beers. I would have invited you to share a beer with me, but didn't want to hamper your driving skills in any way, because you will certainly use them today! Have a blast and let us know how it went.

Andy
Old 05-31-2013 | 04:40 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

This must be the high mileage car for <$100k! Nice buy. If I remember correctly, this was a daily commuter so mechanically less worn that 10k mile track toys!
Old 06-02-2013 | 01:17 AM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Thank you for all the kind words guys! I'm home safe after an intoxicating drive over the past 2 days and simply had a blast with my new-to-me GT3 RS. She is better than I even imagined, and of course I have a good imagination. Totally exceeded my expectations. Plenty of stories and pictures to share after some much needed rest, but she's home safe with me. You guys have some sensational roads in Northern California, that's for sure...and the car loved every turn.
Old 06-02-2013 | 03:26 AM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Ahhh, who am I kidding...I'm still giddy and want to post up details tonight!

This is indeed the same high mileage car that Serge944 mentioned, and it led me down a very long path of having the car inspected by Porsche, a DME scan/over-rev report done, had it independently appraised, CarFax certified, etc. as I ran through all the stages of due diligence I could conceive. I've never spent more money to verify a car prior to buying it, but it really helped me to feel better about the deal. The pivotal moment of the transaction was actually when I received the news about the PCCB brake rotor condition during the PPI and then came to share that information here on RennList. After I learned that the rotors were in 'good' condition from a real-world perspective, I was able to finally breathe easier.

What can I say about the car itself? Let's just say that the seller summed it up best by saying 'many people can see what this car is not, but it takes a special person to see what this car is'. Well, I just happened to be that guy who wasn't scared off by the cars mileage, the Porsche specified condition of the PCCB brake rotors, or anything else. I was the guy who recognized that this may be my one and only realistic chance at a 997.2 GT3 RS and I jumped at it and grabbed it with both hands!

Needless to say I'm completely ecstatic about the car. A truly stunning car that impressed me even more than I was expecting, and I had very high expectations. Here are some random thoughts which I'm sure that other GT3/RS owners will appreciate from a GT3 newbie:

- Holy crap, this car is responsive!
- Holy crap, this car doesn't suffer fools (I can be a little foolish at times)!
- Holy crap, this car loves to turn! I mean it REALLY loves to turn!!
- Holy crap, this car is FAST!
- Holy crap, this car sounds abso-f##king-lutely unbelievable!
- Holy crap, other people really notice this car!
- Holy crap, how could anyone daily drive a car with the factory carbon seats?!
- Holy crap, this car doesn't like to be driven slowly at all!
- Holy crap, this car makes a lot of unusual mechanical sounds!
- Holy crap, I've never driven a finer car in my life!

I figured that might be of some entertainment to you guys. By the end of day 2 I was more at peace with so many of its character traits and am already seeing just about everything as a strength, not a quirk. The irony is that when I bought my 996TT 4 years ago I thought it was a precision driving machine. Wow...yeah...so...ummmm...about that...not so much in comparison.

I know that people are going to ask me about how it compares to other cars I've owned (Toyota Supras, Corvette Z06, 996TT). The short answer is that it just doesn't. It has 4 wheels, is gas powered, and seats 2. This machine exists on another level of emotional involvement and excitement to anything else I've ever owned. From the second I saw it and sat in it I was literally overwhelmed with emotion, and that was before I even drove it. This car is a love affair on 4 wheels, plain and simple. Once I actually drove it, I started to understand how serious of a driving tool it is. I can see why guys who love the earlier air cooled 911s might like the 997 GT3s...much more reminiscent of those cars but with power and creature comforts for days (compared to the older cars)!

Included are a few pictures of the car from the very first time I saw it with my own eyes yesterday morning to it's first trip to the gas station with me, to blasting through the Northern California redwoods, to getting it home safe tonight (but dirty of course from just over 1000 miles of driving).

It will surprise EXACTLY NO ONE here that I've already wandered out to my garage twice just to visit her and continue to pinch myself that this is my new car. I simply couldn't have purchased a car that I'd be happier with than a 997.2 GT3 RS (for the budget I had). It's just simply stunning!
Attached Images        
Old 06-02-2013 | 03:36 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Well said. Welcome back to the PNW.

Quick Reply: Bay area bound for my new car this Friday!