Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Incident with detail shop damaging my clear film..need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 08:22 PM
entityx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwtye
I took my car into Keatley Detail (for those of you in the bay area) for a simple wash and whatever they used reacted with the clear film on my car. I showed them immediately and they acknowledged it and tried to buff it out of the film to no avail. So they said they would send the person that does wraps out inspect it and see what he says if it can be fixed or if it needs to be replaced. He came to inspect my car at my place the next day and reported back that it needs to be replaced. However the detail shop told him to do it at a discount. I asked him do u think that's acceptable if this was your car this happened to , and he agreed its not but said that's all they are willing to do. The shop owner ignored my email and calls for a while and finally called me back today and after what started as a calm conversation erupted on me calling me an opportunist and that im not getting a dime from them, and that i can take him to court where he has never lost a case like this. He said you brought me a car with clear film on it that is older than 3 years, thats the life of clear film, so we did not damage it. Its old and thus reacted with what we used to wash the car so we arent responsible for that. He then went into again attacking me as an opportunist and said your are like someone brining a car with a bald tire here, and then it going flat while here and trying to get a new tire out of me. I told him Im not looking for you to cover the full cost of replacement, but i dont feel you just giving me a discount to replace the clear film on my hood and fenders (told me $700 to replace, normally they charge $1000) was a fair resolution to this. Had I not brought my car to you, i wouldnt be facing clear film that is damaged and needs to be replaced.

Suggestions what I should do?
I've been there numerous times and so haven't had any issues with my clear bra. Sorry to hear that the owner has been difficult. I've never had any issues with him but a coworker of mine has, and I've seen a fair amount of negative comments online about him. The shop is nice but is poorly run - I've lost count of the number of times I've been there at an early morning appointment and had to wait 15-20 mins for someone to open up the shop. I did have one bad experience with my wing blade - its wrapped and when they tried to wax it, it had a bunch of white swirls that looked like dried soap. After about 2 months it went away.

I'm pretty sure most clear bras will last well beyond 3 years, they might discolor but it shouldn't react like the way you experienced. I've also been using bug/tar remover and haven't seen any reactions on my bumper. Given your circumstance I think they should cover at least 50% if not more of the cost to replace. I would keep pushing him on this and mention the fact that other pcar/GT3 owners in the bay area have been made aware of this issue you're having.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:23 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
bmwtye, it could be moisture under the film, causing the haze. Research the info in this link. It will tell you how to remove the moisture under the film. Worth a shot:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...errerid=130056
Thanks, unfortunately it is definitely not moisture under the film.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:27 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by entityx
I've been there numerous times and so haven't had any issues with my clear bra. Sorry to hear that the owner has been difficult. I've never had any issues with him but a coworker of mine has, and I've seen a fair amount of negative comments online about him. The shop is nice but is poorly run - I've lost count of the number of times I've been there at an early morning appointment and had to wait 15-20 mins for someone to open up the shop. I did have one bad experience with my wing blade - its wrapped and when they tried to wax it, it had a bunch of white swirls that looked like dried soap. After about 2 months it went away.

I'm pretty sure most clear bras will last well beyond 3 years, they might discolor but it shouldn't react like the way you experienced. I've also been using bug/tar remover and haven't seen any reactions on my bumper. Given your circumstance I think they should cover at least 50% if not more of the cost to replace. I would keep pushing him on this and mention the fact that other pcar/GT3 owners in the bay area have been made aware of this issue you're having.
Thanks for the info. Frankly he didnt give a ****, he was very arrogant, with saying go ahead and post bad reviews about me on yelp and the car forums, go ahead and take me to small claims court, ive never lost a case, and then proceeded to rant on me as being an opportunist. Being they dont do their own clear film ( a place comes in to do it for them) he isnt willing to do anything other than giving me his discount which lowers the cost by $300.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:36 PM
Kaiservon
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Paint protection, if properly maintained, will last way longer than 3 years. PPF has improved significantly throughout the recent years. Most have at least a 5 year warranty and some have a lifetime.

Sad he is being unreasonable and irrational.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:47 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,412 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Can you withhold final payment on the detail till the film issue is resolved?
Old 05-15-2013, 10:03 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
Can you withhold final payment on the detail till the film issue is resolved?
I didnt even bring it in for a detail, it was for a car wash
Old 05-16-2013, 02:31 AM
C4SxM5
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I actually just finished a small claim case against a car wash locally in sac. The shop damaged my tundra in 12-14 spots the size of quarters while trying to remove tar stains. I actually caught everything on video via my iPhone and they still weren't trying to pay. Ended up in small claims after having my attorney write them a demand letter. At court they agreed to pay me half of my damages and I took simply because I sold the truck already and I for them to admit they were at fault and apologize. Was it worth 3 hours of my day for a few hundreds? Probably not but I would do it all again.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:42 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,761 Likes on 2,361 Posts

keatley's is a glorified car wash, they are not a detailing shop..
i would have your insurance cover it and let them go fight with keatleys.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:27 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since u may want to refilm your car.. Make them pay half at the place you choose, and be done with it. Dealing with dishonest fcker in this world is not worth your time (as long as it is reasonable amt of money) new film may cost you several hundred or up to 2-3k for good custom wrap... Refilm it... Be happy... Move on.....
Old 05-16-2013, 03:43 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 380 Posts

Ugh. So sorry to hear about this.

I've been looking for a good detailer for the past couple of months (Mooty, happy to get suggestions) and stumbled upon them. I took my Golf R to them for a basic detail to see if they were any good. Told the owner I was looking for a regular shop to do both the R and my GT3 and if he did a good job, I'd bring both back. His response "no, I'm going to do a ****ty job (rolls eyes)". I asked that he use Lexol on the leather and a decent wax.

When the car was done, I inspected it to find his guy used some glossy crap on the leather. Owner still claimed it was Lexol. They rushed me out the door after that. Never again.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:43 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 491 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
keatley's is a glorified car wash, they are not a detailing shop..
i would have your insurance cover it and let them go fight with keatleys.
who do you like Mooty? anyone in SF?
Old 05-16-2013, 10:24 AM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure how far away from San Fran this is but Auto Concierge in Fremont is one of the best in the country for true detailing and paint correction. Bob has extensive Porsche experience.

http://www.justwaxed.net/
Old 05-16-2013, 12:05 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,761 Likes on 2,361 Posts

u can eitehr send your car to mooty's spa for a light detail of if you want the real thing, Auto Concierge in Fremont.

he is not cheap, and i mean it..
but his work is extraordinary..
he LOVES woking on it, it's more like a passion than job to him..
Old 05-16-2013, 02:43 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
tell him to F off
Never return
give him a crappy yelp review
buy xpel ultimate from a local good installer

move on

save yourself the aggravation... I am betting your time is worth more than small claims court BS over some film
Exactly. Is your health worth only a thousand bucks?

And one more reason why I do everything car related myself. Good help is hard to find - can't even trust the Porsche dealer to not overfill the oil tank.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:09 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"He should know better"

That pretty much sums it up. I would send a formal letter with a final 50/50 offer. If he turns you down send him a print out of this and a few other forum threads like maybe your local PCA in hardcopy once they're a few pages long.
I wouldn't let the guy off that easy. He should have a sign somewhere warning customers who have clear film protection that their detergents are not safe for all plastics.

p.s.
I had clear bra on the front end no issues for the first five years, started to turn a little yellow around year 7 and even then only those who know to look closely could even see that there was protection on there.

Quick Reply: Incident with detail shop damaging my clear film..need advice