Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Incident with detail shop damaging my clear film..need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 07:19 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Incident with detail shop damaging my clear film..need advice

I took my car into Keatley Detail (for those of you in the bay area) for a simple wash and whatever they used reacted with the clear film on my car. I showed them immediately and they acknowledged it and tried to buff it out of the film to no avail. So they said they would send the person that does wraps out inspect it and see what he says if it can be fixed or if it needs to be replaced. He came to inspect my car at my place the next day and reported back that it needs to be replaced. However the detail shop told him to do it at a discount. I asked him do u think that's acceptable if this was your car this happened to , and he agreed its not but said that's all they are willing to do. The shop owner ignored my email and calls for a while and finally called me back today and after what started as a calm conversation erupted on me calling me an opportunist and that im not getting a dime from them, and that i can take him to court where he has never lost a case like this. He said you brought me a car with clear film on it that is older than 3 years, thats the life of clear film, so we did not damage it. Its old and thus reacted with what we used to wash the car so we arent responsible for that. He then went into again attacking me as an opportunist and said your are like someone brining a car with a bald tire here, and then it going flat while here and trying to get a new tire out of me. I told him Im not looking for you to cover the full cost of replacement, but i dont feel you just giving me a discount to replace the clear film on my hood and fenders (told me $700 to replace, normally they charge $1000) was a fair resolution to this. Had I not brought my car to you, i wouldnt be facing clear film that is damaged and needs to be replaced.

Suggestions what I should do?
Old 05-15-2013, 07:26 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

As a pro Detailer myself, I can't imagine what they did to damage the film. But, as a business owner that takes pride in what I do, I would be replacing your film without question. That's why I have liability insurance.

Takes lots of pictures, get an opinion from a 3M authorized installer and start putting together a small claims case. It's obvious the shop is not willing to do the right thing.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:33 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gator996
As a pro Detailer myself, I can't imagine what they did to damage the film. But, as a business owner that takes pride in what I do, I would be replacing your film without question. That's why I have liability insurance.

Takes lots of pictures, get an opinion from a 3M authorized installer and start putting together a small claims case. It's obvious the shop is not willing to do the right thing.
What damaged it is the chemicals they use in their bug removal from the front end of cars. After speaking with a clear film installer, he told me what happened is a combination of things, the age of the film, as well as the chemicals being used. He suggested a fair resolution is to split the cost down the middle for replacement.

I also called Premier (http://www.premiermobilegroup.com/) and they told me regardless of the age of the film, the shop should know better and that they should be replacing it at full cost using their liability insurance. They said if i wanted to take it that far i could go to small claims but who knows what a judge would rule.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:40 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

I would be interested to know what chemical that was. Yikes! I have been working on luxury and sports cars for over 20 years and have never heard of a shop using chemicals that strong to damage a film...even old film. Clear films are fairly delicate things. Shame on them. If 50/50 is acceptable to you then that might be a good compromise for both of you, assuming they will agree. I would.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:42 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tell him to F off
Never return
give him a crappy yelp review
buy xpel ultimate from a local good installer

move on

save yourself the aggravation... I am betting your time is worth more than small claims court BS over some film
Old 05-15-2013, 07:42 PM
speedoflight
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much is your insurance deductible? another option would be to go thru your insurance and have them go after the detail shop. you'd be out the deductible first but would be refunded if case settle on your side.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:44 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

I would be interested to know what chemical that was. Yikes! I have been working on luxury and sports cars for over 20 years and have never heard of a shop using chemicals that strong to damage a film...even old film. Clear films are fairly delicate things. Shame on them. If 50/50 is acceptable to you then that might be a good compromise for both of you, assuming they will agree. I would.
If you want the shop number to call and inquire about their services for your own vehicle, just so u could see what they use, im more than willing to provide you with the phone number lol.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:47 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bmwtye
If you want the shop number to call and inquire about their services for your own vehicle, just so u could see what they use, im more than willing to provide you with the phone number lol.
I may call just out of curiosity. I just looked at their website. Complimentary beer and wine!
Old 05-15-2013, 07:51 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wait.... complimentary beer and wine...
book another appointment and invite your friends over for a party :-)
Old 05-15-2013, 07:52 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Yes its a nice setup there, its just unfortunate there is a level of arrogance of we never do anything wrong
Old 05-15-2013, 07:55 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
tell him to F off
Never return
give him a crappy yelp review
buy xpel ultimate from a local good installer

move on

save yourself the aggravation... I am betting your time is worth more than small claims court BS over some film
Yes, id be losing money to take time off to go to court to deal with this even if i won it. Its more the principle of it now especially after the complete lack of professionalism from the owner.

To add more to laugh to, they rent out Fiats for the weekend, and when i was there they were cold starting the FF and revving it all the way up to show it off to potential renters.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:59 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,412 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Can you post pictures of the damage? Is it hazing?
Old 05-15-2013, 08:07 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
Can you post pictures of the damage? Is it hazing?
Ill see if i can capture it in pictures, my car is GT Silver so its hard to get it to show in pics. But its basically a hazing in the forms of streaks all over. They tried using a plastic polish on it (premier thought that was absurd) but that didnt do anything.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:12 PM
LexVan
Banned

bmwtye, it could be moisture under the film, causing the haze. Research the info in this link. It will tell you how to remove the moisture under the film. Worth a shot:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...errerid=130056
Old 05-15-2013, 08:22 PM
LexVan
Banned

Good info here too:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...errerid=130056

Quick Reply: Incident with detail shop damaging my clear film..need advice