Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Aftermarket Clutch Options for Street/Track... Or why do our clutches suck?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 12:16 AM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Aftermarket Clutch Options for Street/Track... Or why do our clutches suck?

Hi All,

I've been doing my research and it seems there isn't a great aftermarket option for us that will help to resolve the PP/TOB tango.

We've all done the upgrade dance (4.0RS PP, TOB etc..) and it seems even this isn't a complete solution as I've heard of a few PP issues already.

I'm looking for a good setup for the 4.2l and none seem to exist. I'm of the opinion that the current factory setup with a pull type PP/TOB is part of the issue. Moving to a push type with a hydraulic TOB may help this.

I've researched the titan Motorsports 3 disk Carbon/Carbon kit for the TT guys and it seems results are all over the map. Some guys getting 15k before having to adjust them, some getting one weekend. (very driving style dependent.) Talked to Aasco and they think they could do a single disk with push type actuation but best torque is around 500 or so (should be plenty for us NA guys, just wanted a little bit of headroom). Talked to JB Racing and they have some projects similar to my idea, but nothing finished.

If anyone can shed some light on WHY the PP's and TOB's are wearing prematurely on our cars, this would certainly help. Also anyone with a secret clutch/PP/TOB recipe, please share!
Old 05-15-2013, 03:17 AM
bimmer81
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Carbonetic triple carbon disc clutch that will handle anything you throw at it. It was removed from my 996tt with only 3k miles on the clutch. Lmk. Thanks
Old 05-15-2013, 03:57 AM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

What's the life on the disks and how readily available are replacements. Heard they're back in Japan, and not so many stateside...

Seems there should be something in between triple carbon and single organic...
Old 05-15-2013, 03:58 AM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

What's the life on the disks and how readily available are replacements. Heard they're back in Japan, and not so many stateside...

Seems there should be something in between triple carbon and single organic...
Old 05-15-2013, 05:58 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Its a mechanical failure of the tethers on the PP and the rivets on CP rather than wear per say. If you search some of the failure threads you will see what I mean

Jay
Old 05-15-2013, 10:57 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Ur20v
Its a mechanical failure of the tethers on the PP and the rivets on CP rather than wear per say. If you search some of the failure threads you will see what I mean

Jay
You are partially correct, that issue was resolved with the 4.0 design, the clutch disc is not up for track heat so it is a weak link no doubt, No solutions yet, I may call PMS and ask if they have a carbon disc that will fit and holds up
Old 05-15-2013, 12:49 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pressure plate is the problem and so is the trow out bearing, disc last a while with the new design around the springs.

Bottom line is for the amount of track miles those cars see, with people not rev matching properly there is not much out there that will resolve unless you go with a race clutch, which will compromise the use on the streets.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:57 PM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

And this is the issue

with 3 people weighing in we have

PP/Clutch disk
Clutch disk
PP/TOB

Says we really haven't gotten to the root causes of our clutch system weakness.

The problems I've seen are PP/TOB and believe the new 4.0 disk does resolve previous rivet issues...

Eddie, I've seen friends that do heel and toe and are not super hard on the clutch, still lose PP's. Agreed race clutch is a possible solution, but now we've gone from $1500 parts to $6000 parts! and we still have to inspect carbon/carbon pcs for wear and shim if wear is out of spec...

I know this isn't a new issue, how did the clutches hold on 993 and 996GT3s? Same issues?
Old 05-15-2013, 01:08 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

My hub broke. Seems that the whole clutch design isn't up to the rigors of track abuse. Which is kind of strange, since the nearly identical car is produced as a factory race car.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:22 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jamie_GT3
And this is the issue

with 3 people weighing in we have

PP/Clutch disk
Clutch disk
PP/TOB

Says we really haven't gotten to the root causes of our clutch system weakness.

The problems I've seen are PP/TOB and believe the new 4.0 disk does resolve previous rivet issues...

Eddie, I've seen friends that do heel and toe and are not super hard on the clutch, still lose PP's. Agreed race clutch is a possible solution, but now we've gone from $1500 parts to $6000 parts! and we still have to inspect carbon/carbon pcs for wear and shim if wear is out of spec...

I know this isn't a new issue, how did the clutches hold on 993 and 996GT3s? Same issues?
Jamie you're right, I just mentioned about rev matching as this is a common issue even with experienced drivers.

The clutch design on the 996 is a little different, but only disc if I'm not mistaken ??

3.8-4.0 has more torque, engine revs high ... so a lot to consider.

Most of turbo cars with high power and good clutches are not used like the GT3s and also they don't rev as high as a gt3 so different approaches in my opinion.

Jamie, you can have a ceramic Cup clutch for 3500.00 instead the 6K for a carbon so that helps a lot
Old 05-15-2013, 01:32 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
Pressure plate is the problem and so is the trow out bearing, disc last a while with the new design around the springs.

Bottom line is for the amount of track miles those cars see, with people not rev matching properly there is not much out there that will resolve unless you go with a race clutch, which will compromise the use on the streets.
I'd hate to be the supprised owner who mis-matches revs at speed with a new race clutch.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:37 PM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Jamie you're right, I just mentioned about rev matching as this is a common issue even with experienced drivers.

The clutch design on the 996 is a little different, but only disc if I'm not mistaken ??

3.8-4.0 has more torque, engine revs high ... so a lot to consider.

Most of turbo cars with high power and good clutches are not used like the GT3s and also they don't rev as high as a gt3 so different approaches in my opinion.

Jamie, you can have a ceramic Cup clutch for 3500.00 instead the 6K for a carbon so that helps a lot
Likely wouldn't work well on the street, this is the crux of it. finding a clutch that will play nice in traffic yet stand up to our track usage. I feel like I'm looking for a unicorn...

Originally Posted by KaiB
I'd hate to be the supprised owner who mis-matches revs at speed with a new race clutch.
Agreed, not forgiving at all, and we would likely move the issue from the clutch to the gear box as race clutches aren't forgiving at all and from what I understand are quite hard on the drive train. Not to mention the possible money shift...
Old 05-15-2013, 01:41 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie_GT3
Agreed, not forgiving at all, and we would likely move the issue from the clutch to the gear box as race clutches aren't forgiving at all and from what I understand are quite hard on the drive train. Not to mention the possible money shift...
It's very nice way to put the car sideways very quickly at a terrible place to do so.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:10 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 776 Posts

I'm sticking with the OEM 4.0 stuff. It wont last forever but long enough for the $2500.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:39 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Agreed pressure plate is the problem....even the 4.0 pressure plate is weak and moves. Once the pressure plate is weak and not centered perfectly the clutch starts to take the abuse of no disengagement

The 4.0 clutch still fails, maybe it holds on longer but my last failed clutch cracked at the springs again, the springs stayed in tact thou

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Clutch Options for Street/Track... Or why do our clutches suck?