Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

918 Spyder First Drive Review in C&D

Old 05-15-2013, 06:28 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
^this
That is exactly what i told one of the engineers that was at the event.
He said i need to understand the point of the 918.

I said I didnt get it. A Hyper-car is suppose to be a thrilling experience at the edge of machine and driver-; pushing the envelope of machine but also pushing the envelope for the driver. Hence the CGT/ F40 / as I can see as one of the latest hyper-car classics.

He said its show case of technology. I agree to certain extent but it still needs to be an edge driving car that pumps your heart in a I want to kill you type of way, hence CGT. He digressed. So we agreed to not to agree on what a hyper-car should be.

I think to much technology kills it, look at F1, a perfect balance of technology intrusive in driving aids, put pushing the envelope for driver. I'm talking F1 back from 2004-2007 time frame. We disagreed and I told him i cant afford the car anyways so what do i know.

I was single at the time, so i just flirted with the Porsche marketing girls. They put up a good act!
Old 05-15-2013, 08:55 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I think the Porsche engineers must be looking at McLaren (I think it's no heir to the throne of the F1) and the Ferrari and surely the Porsche engineers are sending some rather sharp emails to the design team.
Guess beauty is in the eyes of the beholder - I prefer the 918 design - but that's probably why I'm on rennlist! Seems like Ferarri and McLaren design tried to hard to look exotic and overreached in my humble opinion.

Feels like history is repeatiing itself; back when the 959 was introduced, the F40 followed with slightly better peformance numbers. Different design objectives - Porsche was demonstarting new technology and produced a heavty car - but still an amazing car. Wish I had one today!
Old 05-15-2013, 11:21 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a recent issue of EVO has the f12/aventador/vanquish test on the cover and it immediately took me back to an old, i think it was CAR, that had the 512bb/countach lp500s/v8 vantage on the cover.
history repeating itself.
not the same impact now as i was a blase teenager back then lol, but i think the f40/cgt/mclaren f1 have remained deeply embedded still and forever in a way the newer versions never will.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:09 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

notwithstanding the price difference but how can this car be that much slower than its 2 main competitors?
I say delay it and come back w/ more power and less weight.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:20 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Will direct head to head testing might show different results?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 918 Spyder First Drive Review in C&D