Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Predictions for the 991GT3 Forum

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 02:25 PM
Fisher
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Perhaps the 991 carrera S with a manual transmission wouldnt be much different in terms of power and platform for those looking for a stick 991?
The engines are not so different this time around?
Right on! Sounds like good German logic to me. The price is already there. Just add aero and start tracking.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:37 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
I anticipate the following active threads in the new forum:

12 Months from Now:
you omitted:
  • Damn your VW!! another point-by to those Z06 Stingrays!
Old 05-07-2013, 02:38 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by zanwar
You upload the alignment from a USB stick.
iKussmaul settings
Old 05-07-2013, 09:12 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha!
Old 05-07-2013, 10:17 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

This will be a sticky****Rear Wheel Steering computer got confused and computer crashed and rear wheels turned the wrong way in T17 Sebring and put me in the wall.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:30 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Damn rws too complicated. What happens during trail-braking? Mike
Old 05-07-2013, 10:42 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Rear Wheel Steering I'm Out........RWS delete thread" lol.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:00 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

In due course when 991 GT3's & RS'es start circulating among RLers, I anticipate the following active threads in the new forum:

12 Months from Now:
  • PDK bitchin... "I'll never give up on the stick... wait I just placed an order..."
  • Interior spec options... What seat/steering wheel/stitching color??
  • PCCB vs. steel for track use... You first read it here .
  • Shipment tracking... "my RORO has left Bremerhaven!!"
  • Run-in... Drive like you stole it vs. baby it for [xxx] miles, with authoritative claims on either side of the argument ("warehouses" full of engine dynos, remember anyone?)
  • Track rubber complaints... 18 vs. 19. vs 20. (the 18 will flat out not fit anymore and there ain't 20" offerings on the near horizon)

Farther Out, in 24 Months:
  • PDK issues... Whole trannies replaced / failing after being driven at 10/10ths / "PAG has dropped ze ball again!"
  • CL issues... New torquing procedures (yet), 3k replacement intervals coz wheels are still failin!
  • PCCB wear... More bitchin about ceramics not lasting for two-zillion track miles
  • Rear steering issues... actuators not standing up to track abuse... "I can't believe it, shame on Porsche!"
  • 9A1 issues... High pressure fuel pump, variocam failing under stress... "the mezger with its glued-up hoses and harmonic problems were still better..."
  • Ice pedal... Okay I admittedly made a similar transgression recently
  • What's my car worth?... Followed by the mandatory value vs price debate

There, I think I've covered at least 50% of the threads in the next 2 years. Now instead of you all paying up for that 2 year RL subscription you can just Paypal that to me. Proceeds will go towards my 20" R6 tire fund.

And if less than 75% of the above turns out to be true I'll buy each of ya a case of beer. With the proviso that u come to my neck of the woods out east.
Most of these are completely predictable since they've happened in every forum for every new Porsche (including GT3's) introduced since RL began.

FWIW, the 9A1 and PDK have been around for 4 years now and people have been driving them hard at the track without unusual failure rates. Neither are new tech. If anything, the 9A1 block based (though it shares little else) GT3 motor and improved PDK will be even more robust, not less.

Baseline suspension settings for the rear suspension will be done done exactly as they are now, regardless of active RWS. As far as speed is concerned, it will be faster reacting than the passive RWS built into every current GT3 and 911. It will have no effect on trail braking. Reliability? I'll let you know in 24 months!
Old 05-08-2013, 12:09 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
What happens if it breaks?
The $64k question! Surely in due course somebody (I'm not saying 911slow) will post technical diagrams of this RWS mousetrap and we'll all marvel at how many components there are to fail in a trackside demonstration of Murphy's law...

Originally Posted by Serge944
Lol.
"I don't care that its PDK, this car is so much better than the 997. Porsche comes through after all."
Coming for sure!

And to be fair, I don't think anyone of us are lamenting the wider performance envelope of these cars given technology. They will be faster and stabler. But farther away from the philosophy of "simplicity, then lightness" that was the cornerstone of GTx's.

Let's tally the "gizmo" additions to our GT cars in recent years. Really, these are all the "new technology" that I can recall and not selective just because they serve my logic:

996->997.1
  • Electronic SC/TC: Program too intrusive; most of us kill it at the track before it kills the rear rotors
  • PASM: More commercial selling point than anything else; have yet to see ANY data-backed laptime difference in PASM normal vs. sports (been a bloody 7+ years since the introduction of that lil switch and no claims still?)

997.1->997.2
  • Exhaust Variocam (997.1->2): Defective cam actuators documented to have caused more than a handful of "bricked" engines. I've seen three in the tiny market that is HKG.
  • Front Axle Lift: Overheated/dead pumps more common than I can count. Mine failed at 3k miles
  • Dynamic Engine Mounts: Reports of dead magnetic actuators no different from old-school soft rubber mounts
  • Improved 2-stage SC/TC: Still too intrusive; most of us STILL kill it at the track

The things PAG does best are the chassis and evolutionary work thereto... generations after generations have added grip and performance without relying on gizmos. For philosophical reasons (and probably commercial too) that last bit is no longer true. Which is why I'm turning into this cynical bastard after extrapolating Porsche's recent luck with these trinkets

Yet in 24 months, like you predicted, perhaps I too will be signing praises of the 991 like a choirboy. "Best RS I've ever owned!"
Old 05-08-2013, 12:32 AM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Most of these are completely predictable since they've happened in every forum for every new Porsche (including GT3's) introduced since RL began.

FWIW, the 9A1 and PDK have been around for 4 years now and people have been driving them hard at the track without unusual failure rates. Neither are new tech. If anything, the 9A1 block based (though it shares little else) GT3 motor and improved PDK will be even more robust, not less.

Baseline suspension settings for the rear suspension will be done done exactly as they are now, regardless of active RWS. As far as speed is concerned, it will be faster reacting than the passive RWS built into every current GT3 and 911. It will have no effect on trail braking. Reliability? I'll let you know in 24 months!
And cooling?

Most of the manual cars need the 3rd radiator added if tracked.
All pdk cars have the third radiator - with many still having problems while tracking in Sport+ mode.
GT3 has always used the 3rd radiator.

Now, increase horsepower, add pdk (with Sport++ mode?) and you'd better be doing a lot to mitigate heat issues.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:33 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
And cooling?

Most of the manual cars need the 3rd radiator added if tracked.
All pdk cars have the third radiator - with many still having problems while tracking in Sport+ mode.
GT3 has always used the 3rd radiator.

Now, increase horsepower, add pdk (with Sport++ mode?) and you'd better be doing a lot to mitigate heat issues.
In the press release it's mentioned that engine cooling and oil supply have been upgraded to handle the higher output but I don't know all the specifics. Likewise PDK which is said to be all new, but again they didn't send me the memo.

I wouldn't necessarily assume that cooling will be a problem, but we'll start to find out soon enough.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:06 AM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
In the press release it's mentioned that engine cooling and oil supply have been upgraded to handle the higher output but I don't know all the specifics. Likewise PDK which is said to be all new, but again they didn't send me the memo.

I wouldn't necessarily assume that cooling will be a problem, but we'll start to find out soon enough.
More my guess than an assumption.. but that guess is based on a solid trend in Porsche's recent products.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:50 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

CREX, I can't believe you have started all this and the cars haven't landed yet... years of the same to go!

Will be fun pointing out some of the 'na sayers' all the same.

Jay
Old 05-08-2013, 07:14 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

In due course when 991 GT3's & RS'es start circulating among RLers, I anticipate the following active threads in the new forum:

12 Months from Now:
  • PDK bitchin... "I'll never give up on the stick... wait I just placed an order..."
  • Interior spec options... What seat/steering wheel/stitching color??
  • PCCB vs. steel for track use... You first read it here .
  • Shipment tracking... "my RORO has left Bremerhaven!!"
  • Run-in... Drive like you stole it vs. baby it for [xxx] miles, with authoritative claims on either side of the argument ("warehouses" full of engine dynos, remember anyone?)
  • Track rubber complaints... 18 vs. 19. vs 20. (the 18 will flat out not fit anymore and there ain't 20" offerings on the near horizon)

Farther Out, in 24 Months:
  • PDK issues... Whole trannies replaced / failing after being driven at 10/10ths / "PAG has dropped ze ball again!"
  • CL issues... New torquing procedures (yet), 3k replacement intervals coz wheels are still failin!
  • PCCB wear... More bitchin about ceramics not lasting for two-zillion track miles
  • Rear steering issues... actuators not standing up to track abuse... "I can't believe it, shame on Porsche!"
  • 9A1 issues... High pressure fuel pump, variocam failing under stress... "the mezger with its glued-up hoses and harmonic problems were still better..."
  • Ice pedal... Okay I admittedly made a similar transgression recently
  • What's my car worth?... Followed by the mandatory value vs price debate

There, I think I've covered at least 50% of the threads in the next 2 years. Now instead of you all paying up for that 2 year RL subscription you can just Paypal that to me. Proceeds will go towards my 20" R6 tire fund.

And if less than 75% of the above turns out to be true I'll buy each of ya a case of beer. With the proviso that u come to my neck of the woods out east.
This is awesome.

I would add:

- "Why are the 991 Wannabe-GT3 cheaper than the 997.2 GT3 RS in the used market?"

- $12,000 bill to clean the carbon build-up on my DFI engine. Porsche denied the warranty claim on the basis of using racetrack fuel and driving on a racetrack.

- Can't find track seats, and PCA won't let me use a 6-point harness with the stock 991 Wannabe-GT3

- The Euro Carbon bucket seats are priced at $14,000, any alternatives?

- Weight reduction discussions. Put the car on the scales with a full tank of gas and driver, and it came at 3,600 lbs, as heavy as a Mustang.

- How to disable RWS? I disconnected the sensor and the car goes limp.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:48 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I knew NJ-GT would be all over this...

Quick Reply: Predictions for the 991GT3 Forum