Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Predictions for the 991GT3 Forum

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 04:55 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 196 Posts
Lightbulb Predictions for the 991GT3 Forum

In due course when 991 GT3's & RS'es start circulating among RLers, I anticipate the following active threads in the new forum:

12 Months from Now:
  • PDK bitchin... "I'll never give up on the stick... wait I just placed an order..."
  • Interior spec options... What seat/steering wheel/stitching color??
  • PCCB vs. steel for track use... You first read it here .
  • Shipment tracking... "my RORO has left Bremerhaven!!"
  • Run-in... Drive like you stole it vs. baby it for [xxx] miles, with authoritative claims on either side of the argument ("warehouses" full of engine dynos, remember anyone?)
  • Track rubber complaints... 18 vs. 19. vs 20. (the 18 will flat out not fit anymore and there ain't 20" offerings on the near horizon)

Farther Out, in 24 Months:
  • PDK issues... Whole trannies replaced / failing after being driven at 10/10ths / "PAG has dropped ze ball again!"
  • CL issues... New torquing procedures (yet), 3k replacement intervals coz wheels are still failin!
  • PCCB wear... More bitchin about ceramics not lasting for two-zillion track miles
  • Rear steering issues... actuators not standing up to track abuse... "I can't believe it, shame on Porsche!"
  • 9A1 issues... High pressure fuel pump, variocam failing under stress... "the mezger with its glued-up hoses and harmonic problems were still better..."
  • Ice pedal... Okay I admittedly made a similar transgression recently
  • What's my car worth?... Followed by the mandatory value vs price debate

There, I think I've covered at least 50% of the threads in the next 2 years. Now instead of you all paying up for that 2 year RL subscription you can just Paypal that to me. Proceeds will go towards my 20" R6 tire fund.

And if less than 75% of the above turns out to be true I'll buy each of ya a case of beer. With the proviso that u come to my neck of the woods out east.

Last edited by CRex; 05-07-2013 at 05:19 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:51 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
In due course when 991 GT3's & RS'es start circulating among RLers, I anticipate the following active threads in the new forum:

12 Months from Now:
  • PDK bitchin... "I'll never give up on the stick... wait I just placed an order..."
  • Interior spec options... What seat/steering wheel/stitching color??
  • PCCB vs. steel for track use... You first read it here .
  • Shipment tracking... "my RORO has left Bremerhaven!!"
  • Run-in... Drive like you stole it vs. baby it for [xxx] miles, with authoritative claims on either side of the argument ("warehouses" full of engine dynos, remember anyone?)
  • Track rubber complaints... 18 vs. 19. vs 20. (the 18 will flat out not fit anymore and there ain't 20" offerings on the near horizon)

Farther Out, in 24 Months:
  • PDK issues... Whole trannies replaced / failing after being driven at 10/10ths / "PAG has dropped ze ball again!"
  • CL issues... New torquing procedures (yet), 3k replacement intervals coz wheels are still failin!
  • PCCB wear... More bitchin about ceramics not lasting for two-zillion track miles
  • Rear steering issues... actuators not standing up to track abuse... "I can't believe it, shame on Porsche!"
  • 9A1 issues... High pressure fuel pump, variocam failing under stress... "the mezger with its glued-up hoses and harmonic problems were still better..."
  • Ice pedal... Okay I admittedly made a similar transgression recently
  • What's my car worth?... Followed by the mandatory value vs price debate

There, I think I've covered at least 50% of the threads in the next 2 years. Now instead of you all paying up for that 2 year RL subscription you can just Paypal that to me. Proceeds will go towards my 20" R6 tire fund.

And if less than 75% of the above turns out to be true I'll buy each of ya a case of beer. With the proviso that u come to my neck of the woods out east.
Your the man!

You forgot however: "Warranty issues"..after all these problems people will not use them on track anymore as Porsche would refuse any warranty claim..one the questions will become: "help, can I somewhere rent a racetrack or disable certain GPS functions so that Porsche doesnt know Im taking my GT3 to a track?".

Lets see..
Old 05-07-2013, 09:21 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 825 Posts

LMAO!!!!
Old 05-07-2013, 10:04 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

haha, awesome. someone please remember to revive this thread in a year!
Old 05-07-2013, 10:41 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Only thing going is with 9a1 motor we won't here to much about coolant pipes leaking. I'm very curious see how the 991 gt3 does with extensive tracking. That rws on paper would help with turn in but damn another computer controlled nannie that can actually break esp the motor/actuators. What happens if it breaks? Does it have a default mode or gets stuck when motor/actuator blows- if stuck man that be scary on track. Mike
Old 05-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
I'm very curious see how the 991 gt3 does with extensive tracking. That rws on paper would help with turn in but damn another computer controlled nannie that can actually break esp the motor/actuators. What happens if it breaks? Does it have a default mode or gets stuck when motor/actuator blows- if stuck man that be scary on track. Mike
no worries, it's probably only a mere 5-figure $, PITA swap to convert the rws to "normal" much like some on here have done with their CL's to 5 lug. no big whoop.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:39 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
I'm very curious see how the 991 gt3 does with extensive tracking. That rws on paper would help with turn in but damn another computer controlled nannie that can actually break esp the motor/actuators. What happens if it breaks? Does it have a default mode or gets stuck when motor/actuator blows- if stuck man that be scary on track. Mike
Yes, i have brought this point up on the 991 GT3 forum, and have been roundly attacked for it by the Kool-Aid huffers.

And how do you do a track alignment on a system that changes the rear toe at high speeds as it sees fit?

I am sure it will be as reliable & sorted out as the faux centerlocks have been...
Old 05-07-2013, 11:45 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

i agree.
imagine that thing through a series of chicanes like at austin.
can it compute and adjust fast enough...?
breakage is another story.
alot of road grime in that area too. dirt, gunk build-up.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:05 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Lol.

You forgot one last topic: "I don't care that its PDK, this car is so much better than the 997. Porsche comes through after all."
Old 05-07-2013, 12:39 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

for the first 12 months:

Wow, this thing is so easy to drive at the track.
Wow, this thing is so easy to daily drive.
Wow, i cant believe i sold my 997, i miss my stick!
Old 05-07-2013, 12:50 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
And how do you do a track alignment on a system that changes the rear toe at high speeds as it sees fit?
You upload the alignment from a USB stick.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:56 PM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yes, i have brought this point up on the 991 GT3 forum, and have been roundly attacked for it by the Kool-Aid huffers.

I am sure it will be as reliable & sorted out as the faux centerlocks have been...
The rear wheel actuators is the one single reason for not seriously consider it for frequent track use. PDK may be ok for track, but I know I will be missing the interaction provided by a manual transmission.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:59 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by AGO
The rear wheel actuators is the one single reason for not seriously consider it for frequent track use. PDK may be ok for track, but I know I will be missing the interaction provided by a manual transmission.
Perhaps the 991 carrera S with a manual transmission wouldnt be much different in terms of power and platform for those looking for a stick 991?
The engines are not so different this time around?
Old 05-07-2013, 01:37 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I expect overheating issues - a lot of 'new' heat to dissipate.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:02 PM
ILLCOMM
Racer

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Perhaps the 991 carrera S with a manual transmission wouldnt be much different in terms of power and platform for those looking for a stick 991?
The engines are not so different this time around?
When I drove a 991S I found the clutch to be feather light and the shifter to be incredibly vague. You'd have to do a bunch of aftermarket work to get it to a place where you'd want to run it on the track.

Quick Reply: Predictions for the 991GT3 Forum