Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Tracked GT3/GT2 Must Have Clutch Replacement Every 8k Miles or Less

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 11:39 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
If you track your GT3/GT3RS/GT3RS 4.0/GT2RS you should plan the time and budget for regular clutch and associated parts replacement, at least every 6000-8000 miles.

Slave cylinders, pressure plates, discs and throwout bearings are simply not robust and durable enough for regular track use. Even when "upgraded" to the 4.0 disc/pressure plate, the throwout bearing and slave cylinder are regular wear/replacement items.

If you have never bled your slave cylinder, do so and look at what comes out- that black gunk is the result of internal cylinder bore wear. The rod end of the slave severely wears against the fork and the fork severely wears the throwout bearing. This is why Cup cars have a totally different clutch disengagement system and a hydraulic throwout bearing.

Shame on Porsche (again), all the money is channeled into marketing and profit and not into high-quality parts. Lied to again...

Either add this to your list of regular replacement parts or plan to be stranded on the road or at the track. Those of you who track already have learned this expensive lesson and those are just getting into Porsche GT cars will learn it and need to be aware.
100% don't agree with the rant. I have over 25k miles with over 3 years of tracking and absolutely no issues with my clutch. BTW, when a clutch is fully engaged it doesn't wear. It wears when it is engaged and the applying surfaces are spinning at different speeds. Unless there is a unique defect to your car, such as the transaxle matting surface wasn't machined straight; I suspect abuse was involved. Shifting with poorly matched heal and toe down shifts and regular power shifting will easily accelerate clutch wear. I will admit though that I see a lot of posts on this forums about clutch problems with single mass flywheel cars, i.e. RS models. No problems here or with any of the people I know with 997.1 or 997.2 GT3s.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:06 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Has there been a perfect car out there on track? I think savy means well but damn like to hear prefacto not postfacto. Is the camaro and the mono made out to be the perfect car for track just not on paper? We'll find out. Mike
Old 05-07-2013, 01:25 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

I think it goes without saying that 3.8 rs cars have defective pressure plates from the factory... Every car has its quirks. Porsche has corrected this problem in the future by superceding that part # with the same one as on the rs 4.0. You can no longer buy the faulty riveted plates.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:24 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,658 Likes on 2,326 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
I think it goes without saying that 3.8 rs cars have defective pressure plates from the factory... Every car has its quirks. Porsche has corrected this problem in the future by superceding that part # with the same one as on the rs 4.0. You can no longer buy the faulty riveted plates.
right on serge, that's the summary
Old 05-07-2013, 03:15 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 990 Likes on 369 Posts

Data point: 2010 GT3. TO bearing went bad and replaced under warranty at 12K; pressure plate and clutch had minimal wear when they opened her up. My guess is the non-RS cars are a bit more stout but far from perfect.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:40 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dual mass saves the clutch's and only good way to run a solid centre plate for road use.

The higher torque of the 3.8 and 4.0 and greater engine rotating mass plus harmonics give the clutch a harder time.

All GT's have tall first gears which really hurts the clutch as well.

8k on the track is good in my book. Pay to play.

Jay
Old 05-07-2013, 09:01 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

My first failure was replaced with 4.0 parts

They fail in the same place
Old 05-07-2013, 10:55 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 101 Posts

Not to oversimplify, but, more shifts = more wear, it's that simple.

The .2RS has lower gearing (and more power) than all previous GT3s, therefore, you shift typically 30-50% more than all other GT3's. This means your throwout bearing wears ALOT more quickly, along with the other components.

I would say the throwout bearing is the real "consumable" that needs preventative maintenance. For a .2RS, upgrade to the 4.0 PP, and then replace TO bearing regularly. I'm replacing mine at the end of this season, unless symptoms show up before then. Every 1-2 years is probably sufficient, depending on which model you have and how many track miles.

Speed costs money, and these cars are damn fast.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Not a clutch expert at all and asking an honest "don't know" question.

Would a hydraulic throw out bearing "upgrade" on a stock setup extend the TO bearing PM schedule? Would reduce the slight side load from the fork, haven't analyzed the stock TO bearing for why it's failing but would be interested in some opinions...

We can't be the only car that is hard on clutches and they're really not so specialized to be porsche specific...
Old 05-07-2013, 10:28 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

4.0 parts are better, but mine is starting to feel like the 3.8RS. The PP just overheats and does not fully declutch any longer. Absolutely no wear of the clutch surface, they basically just melt and stop working until something breaks. Either throw out bearing, clutch itself, cracks near the springs on the PP is just mushy.

No biggy, warranty or later $2500-3000 every 12K miles or so.

But only if you do LOONG sessions in HOR weather and drive flatout.
Driving short sessions like TT or not in the heat or 9/10th. and I bet they last forever.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:48 AM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Are there cooling ducts into the bell housing in the GT3/RS like on the cup car? I don't remember seeing any when I was under the car recently...

Quick Reply: Tracked GT3/GT2 Must Have Clutch Replacement Every 8k Miles or Less