Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Tracked GT3/GT2 Must Have Clutch Replacement Every 8k Miles or Less

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 10:49 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tracked GT3/GT2 Must Have Clutch Replacement Every 8k Miles or Less

If you track your GT3/GT3RS/GT3RS 4.0/GT2RS you should plan the time and budget for regular clutch and associated parts replacement, at least every 6000-8000 miles.

Slave cylinders, pressure plates, discs and throwout bearings are simply not robust and durable enough for regular track use. Even when "upgraded" to the 4.0 disc/pressure plate, the throwout bearing and slave cylinder are regular wear/replacement items.

If you have never bled your slave cylinder, do so and look at what comes out- that black gunk is the result of internal cylinder bore wear. The rod end of the slave severely wears against the fork and the fork severely wears the throwout bearing. This is why Cup cars have a totally different clutch disengagement system and a hydraulic throwout bearing.

Shame on Porsche (again), all the money is channeled into marketing and profit and not into high-quality parts. Lied to again...

Either add this to your list of regular replacement parts or plan to be stranded on the road or at the track. Those of you who track already have learned this expensive lesson and those are just getting into Porsche GT cars will learn it and need to be aware.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:58 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an ERP/RPS triple plate carbon clutch, this is not a problem for me.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:02 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
If you track your GT3/GT3RS/GT3RS 4.0/GT2RS you should plan the time and budget for regular clutch and associated parts replacement, at least every 6000-8000 miles.

Slave cylinders, pressure plates, discs and throwout bearings are simply not robust and durable enough for regular track use. Even when "upgraded" to the 4.0 disc/pressure plate, the throwout bearing and slave cylinder are regular wear/replacement items.

If you have never bled your slave cylinder, do so and look at what comes out- that black gunk is the result of internal cylinder bore wear. The rod end of the slave severely wears against the fork and the fork severely wears the throwout bearing. This is why Cup cars have a totally different clutch disengagement system and a hydraulic throwout bearing.

Shame on Porsche (again), all the money is channeled into marketing and profit and not into high-quality parts. Lied to again...

Either add this to your list of regular replacement parts or plan to be stranded on the road or at the track. Those of you who track already have learned this expensive lesson and those are just getting into Porsche GT cars will learn it and need to be aware.
Give it up Savy. You are turning into a Troll with your hate.

Peter
Old 05-06-2013, 11:04 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I track the hell out of my car. Original clutch. Almost 40k miles....
Old 05-06-2013, 11:17 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Give it up Savy. You are turning into a Troll with your hate.

Peter
I hate to say this, but he spends more time talking up the cars he's about to buy than actually owning them.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:20 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Maybe we should introduce him to the Mono and/or Camaro forums
Old 05-06-2013, 01:00 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Lol
Old 05-06-2013, 01:34 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A track friend of mine mentioned some GT car owners at a track event this past weekend had clutch troubles. I wish a troll with a lot of track miles in GT cars had mentioned clutch part wear rates to me before mine had trouble and left me at the track with nothing to drive after traveling some hours and money to get there.

The facts are what they are, you can attack or ridicule the messenger if you like. Heavy trackers frequenting courses which require a lot of shifting will be the first to experience the problems. If I were currently tracking a GT car I would follow a preventative maintenance course of replacement every 6000-8000 miles as the problems seem to crop up from 8-10k miles.

If I invest in a car that is priced for perfection+, and marketed for the track then it's reasonable to expect a level of durability from the driveline. You are welcome of course to not agree with that if you like. Your money is your money and mine is mine and we all have a differing definition of value.

Based on feeling bad for the track guys I heard about who had problems and knowing I could potentially help other trackers from losing a track weekend I thought it fair and worth mentioning directly that the clutch parts must be timed-out, and chose to assign a mileage that the facts supported.

Hasta la Vista- enjoy your forum.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:53 PM
dsu*
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the info Savy. Any other options besides going with the 4.0 clutch?
Old 05-06-2013, 02:05 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

You could change your clutch after every event
Old 05-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Eddie - RPW
Banned

Agree with Savy up to a point. 3.8 and 4.0 cars tend to have more clutch problems than 3.6 or GT2 cars.
I'm at 14K miles, and a few of them are track and fast track miles, with stock clutch still. I know I'm probably the last one from the Florida guys with stock clutch, that comes from how you drive it, and of course a little bit of luck.
My GT2 was sold with 24K miles, on stock clutch ... and tracked .... a lot of track miles.

There are tons of options out there for this kind of problem besides the 4.0 clutch, but doesn't mean that it will be at same cost, or at some drivability trade off.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:12 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

I can't wait till Saavy starts tracking that Camaro. Talk about a potential maintenance nightmare.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:19 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Savy...You are dead on....the gen. II GT cars has even less durable clutch and PP than gen. I.....
I have already factored this into my track expense.
Shame on you Porsche

Find us a replacement for the brand my friend

Last edited by malmasri; 05-06-2013 at 02:21 PM. Reason: .
Old 05-06-2013, 02:30 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Savy I love you man but I respectfully disagree with this thread.
Perhaps Porsche's crafty marketing finally got the better of you.

They've surely made they fair share of f@@k ups over the years; no need to discuss them here again but, the generic title and content of the thread (especially the proposed replacement intervals) are a stretch.

Better close it and go fix us a decent Martini now.. : )
Old 05-06-2013, 02:31 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by malmasri
Savy...You are dead on....the gen. II GT cars has even less durable clutch and PP than gen. I.....
I have already factored this into my track expense.
Shame on you Porsche

Find us a replacement for the brand my friend
the solution from Porsche is PDK only for track use GT3.

Quick Reply: Tracked GT3/GT2 Must Have Clutch Replacement Every 8k Miles or Less