Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 GT3RS: Rough Engine + Issues w/ gearbox when hot

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 02:23 AM
rja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 997.2 GT3RS: Rough Engine + Issues w/ gearbox when hot

Ran into some issues today at the track. It was hot out (for Seattle area) and not sure if a factor. Regardless, 2 issues. Probably not related but hard to know for sure.

1. After a couple 20 min sessions, engine started sounding 'off'. It's hard to describe exactly, but sounds rougher but not missing. Hard to tell if down on power, but not drastically if so. I don't notice the sweet spot coming in around 4500 RPM and up. I thought perhaps bad gas since it started occuring right after adding fuel but I emptied that tank on the way home and fresh fuel makes no difference.

2. Car became progressively more difficult to shift during the session. Definitey heat related. By last session, I only got two laps in before gear shifts were grinding. Off track and in paddock, could not even get into reverse no matter how many attempts until shutting off engine and then it slipped right in. So we think it's hydraulic (slave cylinder) or clutch itself. But clutch is farily new and not slipping. And after the car cools down, system works fine again.

Anybody out there with similar experiences on either front?

Thanks,

-Roland.

Last edited by rja; 05-05-2013 at 02:48 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:36 AM
ILLCOMM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's because you were going too fast.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:05 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,667 Likes on 2,331 Posts

clutch disk and pp?
three ca rs in nor cal had same issues this last minth
Old 05-05-2013, 03:30 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 810 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
clutch disk and pp?
three ca rs in nor cal had same issues this last minth
^ GT3RS clutch or TO bearing real common problem.

Peter
Old 05-05-2013, 03:30 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Agree with Mooty, sounds like clutch.

Get the fault codes pulled. Check your exhaust valves are functioning, if stuck you will loose torque and it will sound different. Also check/clean MAF engine will feel sound flat if it is dirty/faulty.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:34 AM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My vote is pressure plate or throw out bearing. Sorry I missed you!

Engine was off over 4500, could be variocam related? Get it on a Piwis and check actuators etc... Maybe spark plugs as well
Old 05-05-2013, 03:53 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

PP
Old 05-05-2013, 05:39 AM
rja
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the responses. Clutch & Pressure Place were both recently replaced. It was preventative, not because the old ones were abused / worn. Given that the car is fine when cool (or just plain not subject to heat buildup at track) are folks still thinking clutch / pp? We're thinking possibly the slave needs a bleed.

I'm more concerned about why engine running rough. Again, only slightly but definitely off. I just went and checked my telemetry and speed at end of straight remains consistent throughout day (and with previous events) so the car is not down on power (or at least not substantially so).
Old 05-05-2013, 08:58 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 196 Posts

Bizarre clutch behavior when hot makes your T/O bearing and PP look suspect. Been there and that was my problem. Hydraulic issues, if any, should be persistent and won't affect you only when hot (unlike the brakes, the clutch fluids do not boil and there won't be gas "bubbles" in the system)

On engine running "different"... can you check your exhaust for object damage / leaks? There are countless causes but the first step always begins with checking the oil filter for debris and looking under the car for plumbing damage.

Just some ideas to help get you off the ground, literally. Good luck.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:39 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Even if you had them replaced, they can still fail, this was a POS design by Porsche and failed on every car that has been driven the way it was meant to be....make sure you have the 4.0 Clutch disc and PP.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:46 AM
rja
Rennlist Member

Thanks CRex. Had the car on the lift today at Cantrell's shop. No signs of exhaust leaks. No CELs or codes thrown. Tech agrees w/ me that it doesn't feel like the cams are 'coming in' at 4500 like usual but car otherwise seems fine. Also noticing a 'click' sound when I start the car whenever it sits for more than 5 minutes. I read the thread on the cam timing bolts not getting torqued properly at factory, but symptoms I'm seeing seem much less severe (i.e., no loud rattling, no CELs, etc.).
Old 05-06-2013, 03:25 AM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Might be a better safe than sorry. Low speed harmonics on the 3.8rs can cause can bolts to come loose as well as pressure plates...
Old 05-08-2013, 01:49 AM
rja
Rennlist Member

I took the car to the track yesterday (Monday) after eliminating some possible causes on Sunday. Cantrell was at the track and available to diagnose the issue. All indicators pointed to the flywheel. The 'clicking' sound I was hearing when I started the car was instantly identifiable to Colin Cantrell as starter. Hmm, rough engine, starter noise, rough engine. All arrows pointed flywheel or pressure plate issue.

The folks at Cantrell were kind enough to give me a tow home and jump on this for me today. Culprit is the pressure plate as can be seen in photo. No damage to any other components except for starter gear which was slightly mangled -- presumably from debris.

Since folks will probably comment, this was not the OE pressure plate. Ironically, I asked for the OE unit to be replaced with a heavier duty Sachs unit during the off season as a preventative measure to provide me with trouble free service this driving season (the OE unit gave me no problems). Three lapping days in, and boom. So needless to say, I'm unhappy about this but relieved nothing major.
Attached Images   
Old 05-08-2013, 02:41 AM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Sorry to hear about the PP issues, but glad you got it resolved!
Old 05-08-2013, 04:59 AM
rja
Rennlist Member

Thx Jamie. Me too.

Quick Reply: 997.2 GT3RS: Rough Engine + Issues w/ gearbox when hot