Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

PCCBs past their limits (rotors)...what can I expect?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 09:41 AM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 630 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by X2daC
Steve were you always this **** about your cars?

Even when you were picking up your Supra?
I'm not sure how to answer your question. Meaning, I've found that as the overall spending and investment goes up on my side, my interest in knowing as much about the car in question goes up accordingly.

Back when I was buying $20k Supras I wasn't having PPI's performed or doing as much research about the cars history, but then I knew the replacement parts costs were more reasonable for core items too.

When I bought my first Porsche in 2009 it was a huge leap of faith since I started to really understand what the parts cost and how serious things could potentially get if I experienced a significant failure. I also started to learn about how having a highly modified car only made the chances of those failures go up exponentially.

So, the easy answer to your question is "no", but I can tell you that when you're ready to spend much more money that the peace of mind goes a LONG way for me to know the car has been validated as much as I can do prior to buying it. The car I'm buying was looked at (and passed on) by 2 other potential buyers, so that only had my curiosity up. Neither had a PPI performed, but it had me wanting to protect myself as much as possible going into the deal.

I don't consider myself **** about cars in general by the way, but I'm very mindful about potential risks and want to do the appropriate amount of research and due diligence up front to better enjoy the overall experience with the car. I have a few cars I've regretted buying in the past (2 Supras, out of the 5 I owned), and with better research up front I could have avoided those situations.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:07 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
I'm not sure how to answer your question. Meaning, I've found that as the overall spending and investment goes up on my side, my interest in knowing as much about the car in question goes up accordingly.

Back when I was buying $20k Supras I wasn't having PPI's performed or doing as much research about the cars history, but then I knew the replacement parts costs were more reasonable for core items too.

When I bought my first Porsche in 2009 it was a huge leap of faith since I started to really understand what the parts cost and how serious things could potentially get if I experienced a significant failure. I also started to learn about how having a highly modified car only made the chances of those failures go up exponentially.

So, the easy answer to your question is "no", but I can tell you that when you're ready to spend much more money that the peace of mind goes a LONG way for me to know the car has been validated as much as I can do prior to buying it. The car I'm buying was looked at (and passed on) by 2 other potential buyers, so that only had my curiosity up. Neither had a PPI performed, but it had me wanting to protect myself as much as possible going into the deal.

I don't consider myself **** about cars in general by the way, but I'm very mindful about potential risks and want to do the appropriate amount of research and due diligence up front to better enjoy the overall experience with the car. I have a few cars I've regretted buying in the past (2 Supras, out of the 5 I owned), and with better research up front I could have avoided those situations.
AN example of ding it right: I was looking at GT3 from Fiat dealer: they assured me the car was pristine. cosmetically looked perfect. PPI revealed in the opinion of the body shop the car would not be safe to track as underneath the cosmetic perfection hidden under the wheel liners was poor foundation work. I walked away. If I did not do a extensive PPI, I would have bought a $100K GT3 that was not safe to track. BTW, the car had a clean car fax. PO paid cash for repairs.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:35 PM
ShootingStar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore

In short, I should have tossed a lol in there or something, because I've grown to hate what is now Supra Forums.

But your answer should be quite eye opening to -everyone- who looks to purchase cars of this caliber.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:37 PM
DLJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just more confirmation of the value of this forum for real world knowledge and experience. The lack of knowledge that sometimes comes out of the dealerships (that one would assume should be reliable resources) continues. Good on you for following this through to a great result. Nice looking RS!

Quick Reply: PCCBs past their limits (rotors)...what can I expect?