Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

PCCBs past their limits (rotors)...what can I expect?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 10:30 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

^ Like Rad & DRL said.

Cost of cast iron replacement: $3k

If the rest of the car checks out and you're $25k off comparables there's probably a value argument. Will they let you do a blackstone oil analysis if you insist? Unlikely a dealer would've invested dollars to flush the oil while the car's on the lot. That puts concerns around an abused engine to rest.

IMO you're looking at the animal from the wrong end if you're too hung up on the brakes. Ceramics or not, that ain't that big a deal vs. engine, tranny, mileage and general condition of the underbody.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:37 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 323 Posts

I'd say I'm not too hung up on the brakes in an absolute kind of way, but I'm now hung up on the fact that the rotors are worn out by 58k miles based on feedback from this forum. I'm not hung up on the fact that I have to replace the rotors with *something* since I do feel the price reflects it. Like you said, $3k for steel rotors and I'm on my way. Thanks for your feedback btw.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:49 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

Either the rotors are done an the car has been tracked more than 2 days, or not much track and they are actually not so worn. Either way no big deal if the car is otherwise in good shape
Old 05-01-2013, 11:39 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
I hear you Robert, but this is puzzling me for sure. I'll be chatting with them again but the car checks out wonderfully except for the brakes (so far, still waiting on the final written report including test drive report of clutch, gearbox). They have basically told me it's in terrific shape and is extremely clean.

Keep in mind the price of the car already reflects the brakes being likely bad. Should I still be deathly worried if everything else checks out? It just doesn't appear that anyone is trying to hide anything, and I'm dealing with the original owner too. I would be the second owner.
If the OPI is good than it is good. If the rotors are worn I would really make sure to have the body inspected. It could have been stuffed at the track. If everything has been repaired correctly then I would not worry. The rotors just make no sense with the stated history. If you like the car then get it. A replaced clutch at 35k and worn rotors. I would beet him up more on the price. If the clutch was a LWFW upgrade that is different. How many people here replaced worn clutch at 38K miles?
Old 05-01-2013, 11:52 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Hey Robert,

The original factory clutch failed, it didn't burn up. Turns out that was fairly common on the early 3.8L cars as confirmed by SharkWerks and Sonnen Porsche. So, the clutch was more of a manufacturing issue, not an indication of extreme use. It was replaced under warranty with another 3.8L factory clutch (not an RS 4.0 unit).

The Sonnen guys says the current clutch feels great and that the transmission shift smoothly with no problems...drive-ability was very good and no indications of any problems there. The car passed the mechanical aspects of the PPI with flying colors, but had several cosmetic issues which they pointed out and I've been made aware of. The seller has provided pictures of everything I requested, and I do have pictures of all 4 brake rotors now which I will attempt to share here.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:57 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

In case it helps, here are photos of all 4 PCCB rotors, just taken tonight after the car arrived home from the PPI upon my request.
Attached Images     
Old 05-02-2013, 12:18 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

Steve--

Whoever told you the above rotors are toast has NO EFFIN CLUE what they're talking about. They are in decent shape for 30k+ mileage.

And if you have doubts about it, I'll buy them off you for $3k right now to cover your cost of steel replacement. LOL.

Now the story makes sense--if they are the original rotors since new I don't think this particular car has seen too much track duty.

Hope the rest checks out and you'll be enjoying her soon enough!
Old 05-02-2013, 12:50 AM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

CRex,

I cannot tell you how relieved I am to hear this. I've been going nuts over here. I am confirming the purchase as soon as I run the CarFax as my final validation check. So far the car has come back better than expected all around!
Old 05-02-2013, 01:16 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

My WAG based on what they look like (insert warning about not judging a book by its cover here....) they look pretty darn good.

Seriously I expected the things to be in tatters.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:17 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

The wear indicators are showing, but they look totally usable to me still.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:19 AM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Thank you guys. The CarFax just came back squeaky clean as I was told it would. This is a bonafide one owner car with all factory service records, a clean bill of health via PPI today at Sonnen, and a price I just cannot say no to.

I really appreciate your helping me through this. It's a major league purchase for me, and I cannot wait to be reporting that I'm driving it home.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:29 AM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations! Enjoy her.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:34 AM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

Congrats!
post pics when you can
agree with other about the rotors. if you drive 2k miles/year good chance the rotors will outlive you!
Old 05-02-2013, 02:02 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,047 Likes on 383 Posts

1. Did they do a compression/leakdown test on the motor? If the car was potentially tracked hard for most of it's life (based on brake wear), I'd really want those tests done.
2. Why the aversion to replacing with steel rotors? If you're not tracking, not sure of the downside.
3. Are we talking an $80K ish .2 GT3 here with all service records?
4. Did you ask PPI dealer for a complete service/warranty printout to verify #3?
Old 05-02-2013, 04:05 AM
woshimihei
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: PCCBs past their limits (rotors)...what can I expect?