Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

PCCBs past their limits (rotors)...what can I expect?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 04:57 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

^ Let's try to be helpful to the OP. This topic has been covered ad nauseum here. 911SLOW has posted the official guide to evaluating PCCBs here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...formation.html

And numerous others have posted pictures of how the rotors really look when things go south, plus practical ways of evaluating conditions of rotors:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...-die-pics.html

Indicators show up over time. They are what they are, an indication. The overall condition is a balance of surface condition (roughness) and weight. Heck, I put on a NEW SET of PCCBs with new pads this Jan. Within 2 track events the indicators started to show. Should I be concerned and buy new ceramics all over again?

I just want to be fair and not get the OP all worked up over "imperfect" rotors on his potential purchase. It's a car with 58k miles, and these ceramics are in very decent shape for the facts being represented. My offer stands: $3k and I'll take these the lot
Old 05-02-2013, 01:16 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
In case it helps, here are photos of all 4 PCCB rotors, just taken tonight after the car arrived home from the PPI upon my request.
Pristine!

If you don't track the car and drive within U.S. speed limits and rules, you have 100,000 miles of life left on them, at least.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:32 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 321 Posts

You guys rock...I cannot be happier after the initial scares I felt when the dealership said that 3 out of the 4 needed to be replaced immediately. Your collective feedback has greatly reassured me about the car I'm buying.

The car will be street driven and I'm generally pretty easy on brakes...just have no experience with ceramics so didn't want to get myself into a potentially dangerous situation out of ignorance. Thanks again.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:44 PM
D-Uber Cars
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Steve,
The GT3 will be like falling in love all over again.
Enjoy your return drive home.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:48 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow...feedback is kind of all over the place on this one. I hear you guys about the concerns about the rotors being worn out at this point in the cars life, but it is what it is. I have spent considerable time on the phone with the dealership today, and they feel it's a terrific car. The DME scan looks great (I will post a separate thread about that since I made this thread so specific) and will be having further conversations about the brakes, including looking at replacement options.

The PPI came back really solid, and I'm going to be running the vehicle history report tonight on CarFax and also AutoCheck to look for anything out of place. There is no doubt that the car has been on the track, but the DME history for overrevs and overall feedback is that it's one hell of a stout and clean car that happens to need new brake rotors. The car is priced about $25k to $30k below its peers due to high mileage and the need to address brakes.

Armed with this knowledge, does anyone think I may be getting a good deal?
At 25-30k below markte price you should buy immediately. Your PCCBs are worn...but you can always find second hand ones..at half of new price. Buy the car would be my adive and think about the brakes afterwards....
Old 05-02-2013, 04:24 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
At 25-30k below markte price you should buy immediately. Your PCCBs are worn...but you can always find second hand ones..at half of new price. Buy the car would be my adive and think about the brakes afterwards....
I was on the same page with you, and have been setting up the deal for a few weeks. Part of me was comfortable with the brakes just being 'bad', but the real scare for me was that the car breezed through it's PPI but guys here had me really worried about the cars life due to the words 'worn out PCCBs'. Once I was able to get the pictures posted, fortunately the message changed.

The car is undeniably a great deal, but even more so now since the PPI was so good and the PCCBs aren't as dire as I thought earlier. I have a lot more peace of mind going into the deal (which I needed!). I want to keep the car PCCB equipped since that suits my personal style better (light weight, little dust, etc.), so I'm happy to know I can do that for the forseeable future.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:51 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was on the same page with you, and have been setting up the deal for a few weeks. Part of me was comfortable with the brakes just being 'bad', but the real scare for me was that the car breezed through it's PPI but guys here had me really worried about the cars life due to the words 'worn out PCCBs'. Once I was able to get the pictures posted, fortunately the message changed.

The car is undeniably a great deal, but even more so now since the PPI was so good and the PCCBs aren't as dire as I thought earlier. I have a lot more peace of mind going into the deal (which I needed!). I want to keep the car PCCB equipped since that suits my personal style better (light weight, little dust, etc.), so I'm happy to know I can do that for the forseeable future.
Good..we look forward to hear from you more. In the end you made a very good deal..you can find a very nice set of used PCCBs for around 6-7K..so add that to the price,,and you still made a super deal. Loosing any money on this car is almost impossible then..

What colour if we may ask?
Old 05-02-2013, 06:06 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

The car I'm buying is Carrera white, which is a huge relief since I've cursed myself with black cars for many years now and am so ready for the change.

Here is a picture of the car in question. Thanks again for your support and encouragement!
Attached Images  
Old 05-02-2013, 07:02 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

one final confirm on those rotors
having bought two different used sets and as a person who uses them on the track - those are good

even with green P50 Motorsport pads those would be good for 30 very hard track days

i say this given what I can see

if there is some chuck out of them somewhere that is hidden then that is a different thing

good luck

Last edited by 997gt3north; 05-03-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:05 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

It will come as no surprise to anyone who frequents this forum, but it's astonishing how much better the information is (for GT3's at the very least). I do frequent some other Porsche forums and have tended to spend more time on them over the years for my 996TT exploits, but this will absolutely be my new home for all things GT3.

Originally Posted by D-Uber Cars
Steve,
The GT3 will be like falling in love all over again.
Enjoy your return drive home.
I've drooled over your gorgeous green RS more than once my friend (at e@RTC). I look forward to parking by you some time at the show.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:13 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

Wow gorgeous car/color combo. I was thinking GT3 but you got RS!
Old 05-02-2013, 11:23 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

run your hand over the disk. I bet it feels as smooth as glass. they look fine.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:40 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Special car, you will enjoy it!
Old 05-02-2013, 11:40 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 184 Posts

Each rotor has their weight engraved on them along with the minimum weight. The best way to figure out the life of a PCCB rotor is to verify their weight against the minimum weight on the rotor.

Hope that helps
Old 05-03-2013, 02:09 AM
ShootingStar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve were you always this **** about your cars?

Even when you were picking up your Supra?

Quick Reply: PCCBs past their limits (rotors)...what can I expect?