f430 track handling question

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 12:00 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
People with "excess income" tend to buy them as fashion accessories. That's a fact. I've done several Ferrari club track events and attendees were nothing short of "interesting" to say the least...

I had student (s) last weekend who brought a new 458 challenge car to learn how to DE. Their driving skills were atrocious and lived up the Ferrari owner stereotype. I own a Ferrari so therefore I must be awesome Their main concern was that they had the fastest car at the event. Not the least bit concerned that we had a train of boxsters, caymans, and E36 M3's piling up behind us.

I have to admit, the car was sick. They were gracious enough to let me drive it in the advanced group though for about 30 mins. Hands down the fastest car I have ever driven on a track. If I was "rich" I would own one

That car left Grand-Am astonished. They lapped Daytona as fast as the Grand-Am GT cars. On quali, that showroom track day car lapped Daytona in 1:48, and the Pros driving in GT and DP.

It is the first track day car from Fiat that outruns the 911 GT3 Cup, by a decent margin. 2,750 lbs with low fuel, 570Hp, and a 7-speed DCT close ratio tranny.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:50 AM
ILLCOMM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy M
Probably my own sensitivities but I find when someone calls someone else 'rich' that is not a compliment. It parallels the comment 'must be nice'.

There's been a fair amount of talk of Ferrari drivers who are 'rich' but lack skills here on RL. It's indicative of the class warfare so prevalent in our society. Getting tired of it. I prefer using the words successful, hard working and perhaps wealthy as it doesn't have the negative connotation. So that's where I was coming from with my prior comment....
Old 04-30-2013, 08:31 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Rad

That helps a lot.
Im sure 80% of what I was feeling was the tires and wrong widths to make it work.
The other 20% was likely the spring rates.
If the 430 was setup like the 355 Challenge that i have driven it would be really fast - but I still think the tranny feels like it is going to blowup with those gear changes.

If I can get a ride again, and I think this 'new friend' may hit me up for some setup advice, is the tire choice a 265 / 335 setup on 9" and 12" rims with correct offset? - I'm guessing he will stick with stock springs for now - but if it is just an easy swap out can you give me a setup that will be a step up for him without making it a pure track car.

thanks

Last edited by 997gt3north; 04-30-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:26 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
That car left Grand-Am astonished. They lapped Daytona as fast as the Grand-Am GT cars. On quali, that showroom track day car lapped Daytona in 1:48, and the Pros driving in GT and DP.

It is the first track day car from Fiat that outruns the 911 GT3 Cup, by a decent margin. 2,750 lbs with low fuel, 570Hp, and a 7-speed DCT close ratio tranny.
It was sick sick sick. I had never ridden in a Ferrari. Let alone driven one. I wasn't just given a piece of crack. They gave me a kilo. Driving this car, even at lowered pace (I can't write the check to replace it), was nothing short of spectacular.

I ended up spending about 4 hours in it on Saturday, switching between 2 students. Unfortunately neither could drive so we might as well been driving a jetta. One of them told me me when I pressed to pick up the pace, quote "I am very good driver. I'm extremely fast and have a lot of experience. I don't feel like going fast today though....".

(Sigh)
Old 04-30-2013, 12:24 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Thats cool that you got to drive it. What lap times did you do with it?

Quick Reply: f430 track handling question