Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

CPO Warranty and Trim Pieces

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 09:11 AM
911S4
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default CPO Warranty and Trim Pieces

Dropped my car off at the dealer for service and some minor issues as my COP is getting ready to expire.

First issues is the warping of the Carbon Fiber dash trim on my 6800 mile .1RS which is strange since my car sits inside and rarely sees the sun for more than a few hours at a time. Was informed by the Porsche Service Advisor that trim pieces are not covered under the CPO program.

Second issue is the LCD burn in on some of the pixels under the tach which just mysteriously appeared after I started the car for the first after a long winter hibernation. Was informed that is could have been the result of an impact of some sort which is odd as that is impossible as the car was covered in storage. Hoping this is covered as the Service Advisor will try to submit this from what I was told but at this point am kind of frustrated with Porsche.

Audi stands behind their cars as I have had Carbon Fiber engine covers replaced on my RS4 under warranty as they turned red from the heat with no questions asked.

I find it odd that Porsche wont stand behind the customers that have supported the marque, especially considering this is my fourth P-car and the car in question is an RS. Frustrating. Should I write to PCNA?
Old 04-29-2013, 08:27 PM
owng
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had same problem with my carbon fiber trim pieces on the dash and Porsche replaced under warranty before the end of warranty. If you have a good relationship with your dealer/service, they should be able to replace it. Good luck with the lcd, that looks like a bigger issue.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:29 PM
owng
Advanced

FYI, OEM trim pieces are glued on so this can happen even though it doesn't heat up. Macarbon is better but if Porsche don't replace it, I would get it refinished in alcantara fabric instead.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:49 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 725 Likes on 335 Posts

I had to write a nastygram to AOA and really put the screws to my SA about the failed DSG suspension on my old RS4. Good luck getting Audi to clean all that carbon buildup in their FSI engines as well.

Porsche isn't any better or worse than the others. They all try to weasel out of paying....
Old 04-29-2013, 10:18 PM
entityx
Racer

I have the exact same issue with my CF trim except only on the driver's side. My dealer couldn't get it replaced under CPO. The funny thing is on really warm and sunny days the piece reverts to being flat (after sitting in the sun for an hour or so). As soon as it cools down it reverts back to its deformed shape.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:24 PM
911S4
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies.

My Audi dealer was great and performed the heads off manual carbon clean and all I did was complain about a rough idle a few months after I purchased the car from an out of state seller. The DRC recall was already performed before I bought the RS4. Heck Audi even replaced my carbon fiber engine covers as I asked why they were turning red? Unbelievable support from AOA and and my Audi service advisor.

Porsche on the other hand apparently has a much different attitude about standing behind their cars and customers for that matter. It's a shame as I have been a long-time loyal Porsche customer.

The icing on the cake this morning was hearing that its normal for both the FMS and RMS to leak oil due to the crank case seal design and vacume in the crankcase. I explained that a front main seal shouldn't leak on any 911 regardless If its a GT3 or not.

My Porsche service advisor is trying to do what he can to take care of these issues but reiterated that trim pieces are normally not covered with no exceptions. I am crossing my fingers the gauge and a front main seal oil leak will be approved for repair.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:38 PM
911S4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by entityx
I have the exact same issue with my CF trim except only on the driver's side. My dealer couldn't get it replaced under CPO. The funny thing is on really warm and sunny days the piece reverts to being flat (after sitting in the sun for an hour or so). As soon as it cools down it reverts back to its deformed shape.
Same thing happens to my dash trim on the few occasions the car sat in the sun for a few hours, they flattened out.

It appears to me the problem is the result of how these trim pieces were installed from the factory as the areas where there is no adhesive is where they warp. If they applied adhesive around the perimeter of the trim as opposed to a zig zag pattern they would stay flat and attached to the dash leather.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:03 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mines done the same on the drivers side only (RHD) and flattens in the heat, I've tried gluing but it only last a week.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:18 AM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem with the instrument cluster in my previous CPO car. It was covered under warranty.

Quick Reply: CPO Warranty and Trim Pieces