Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Oem LSD gone...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013 | 11:24 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Matt @ Guard is the best person to ask but this sounds about right:
"The life of the LSD will depend on how much track time the vehicle endures, but a combination of street and DE track days will very likely see the LSD lasting until the transaxle is rebuilt"

BTW I too have Guard LSD upgraded internals. Great product/service.

Last edited by Jenner; 04-12-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-12-2013 | 02:03 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
Guard ftw
+2

Guard. Best money I spent on the car other than the Fire Chicken decal on the hood.
Old 04-12-2013 | 02:11 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by dsu*
Obviously Guards LSD is the preferred choice on here. But just curious, What's the difference between Guards and OS Giken? Why is the Guards more superior than OS?
Good morning Rennlist,

Those who have been around a while know that I do not ever engage in US vs Them discussions.

However, I will answer the question regarding why so many people choose the Guard LSDs. The answer is that people, and especially racers, tend to buy what has been proven to work and perform. The OS Giken Super-Lock LSD has only been on the market a few years now. GT has a very long history of winning in both professional and club racing for more than a dozen years.

The first time a GT equipped vehicle won the 24 Hours of Daytona was 1999 with AJR. Since then, GT can say that we had our parts in half a dozen 24 Hour of Daytona winners, including most recently in 2013 when all 3 of the GX class podium standing Caymans were GT powered. We've won the 12 Hours of Sebring several times. We've claimed GT and GS class championships in Grand Am and ALMS repeatedly over the years.

Most of the guys at the pointy end of the grid in the PCA run GT products. For many years we were the OEM LSD supplier to Ruf. We have sold parts to Porsche Motorsports themselves in Weissach and I still have gears on my shelf from 10 years ago that have Porsche part numbers on them. We continue to supply the likes of EVOMS, Champion, 9ff, Sharkwerks, BBI, and many others with the gearbox components for their high power project cars that you read about here and in the magazines. The 1200 HP GT2 built by 911 Design that is on the cover of this month's Excellence Magazine has Guard gears and an LSD in it.

Currently every Porsche running in Grand Am's Continental Tire GS and ST classes run Guard LSDs. A couple of them tried the OS Giken and they came back to Guard because in their independent testing they found they were faster with a GT LSD. And just to be clear, there isn't a car in motorsports that carries my stickers or runs my products that were given the parts in return for real estate or bragging rights. BGB Motorsports, Autometrics, Rebel Rock, Bullet Racing and others all bought their parts and run the stickers because they believe that my parts are part of the formula that will put them on the podium. I don't give away parts to try and make my brand look good in professional motorsports.

Teams that are "sponsored" by me, are exactly that, sponsored by me. At COTA, I was in BGB's trailer between sessions restacking Pumpelly and Norman's LSD. We tried 3 different configurations that weekend before we raced. And some of the teams I work with don't run stickers because they actually don't want the competition to know that they run my parts and are working with me. But it is just this sort of hands on involvement in motorsports and continual improvement that defines what GT is and why when you put the parts in your track rat, you are buying something with a motorsports pedigree.

None of this is meant to take away from what OS Giken can offer you. OS Giken is the new kid on the block. In a market where my company has been the dominant force for nearly 2 decades, it's going to take some time and some people who are willing to branch out and try something new for them to establish a firm foot hold. Only time will tell whether or not they offer an equal or better product, which they also currently offer for quite a bit less money.

In closing, I just want to be clear that this is not about me. I tell people that I am the Dread Pirate Roberts. Paul Guard poured his heart and soul into this company for close to 20 years and I have just been lucky enough to have been chosen by him 4 years ago to take over the helm of what I still to this day consider the ship that Paul Guard built. Without the parts that Paul took the time and effort to develop with partners like AJR, Reiser-Callas, TPC and many others, I would be nothing. And with that, I am off my soap box. If you can't tell I HATE that question, and thus why there is such a verbiose response regarding why I think our customers chose our parts.

Regards,

Matt Monson
(Don't worry Mooty, I've been getting called Munson for close to 40 years)
Old 04-12-2013 | 02:37 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Guard LSD. No other choice.
Old 04-12-2013 | 03:26 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

GT2 Pro LSD is in my gearbox.

Guard is the one to get.
Old 04-12-2013 | 03:34 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Had a good talk with Matt today. Guard LSD it is. Any socal mechanic you guys recommend?

For this weekend track day, I'll run w open diff and drive slower. =) I will update you guys on this next week when my car will get broken down for 5 lug conversion, new LSD, new wheels etc.
My wallet need refill. Anyone know a good "money tree" seed I can buy?
Old 04-12-2013 | 04:22 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

One thing to note, you can't just bring guard clutches to your dealer and say "install these." You must take your LSD out and measure the spider gear housing assembled width. There is a manufacturing tolerance, and the rebuild parts vary in thickness to ensure proper preload.

See my 4 liter build thread for more details.
Old 04-12-2013 | 04:32 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Serge944
One thing to note, you can't just bring guard clutches to your dealer and say "install these." You must take your LSD out and measure the spider gear housing assembled width. There is a manufacturing tolerance, and the rebuild parts vary in thickness to ensure proper preload.

See my 4 liter build thread for more details.

That's if the pressure rings/ramp angles aren't being changed. If we're providing the ramps at the same time, as we do on about 97% of the 997s, we know what our own pressure rings measure.
Old 04-12-2013 | 05:07 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTgears
don't hold anything against mooty. We had the same ESL(english as second language) teacher and we can't spell worth ****. What's the matter with English any way. Why do we need to call people by he and she? Chinese is much easier, we just say "hey you"

Originally Posted by kormaster
Had a good talk with Matt today. Guard LSD it is. Any socal mechanic you guys recommend?

For this weekend track day, I'll run w open diff and drive slower. =) I will update you guys on this next week when my car will get broken down for 5 lug conversion, new LSD, new wheels etc.
My wallet need refill. Anyone know a good "money tree" seed I can buy?
money tree .... just marry right and make sure your other 1/2 add and not subtract from your fund
Old 04-12-2013 | 05:12 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by GTgears
Matt Monson
lol, you are lucking i only butchered ONE letter in your name.
there's a reason my kid's name only got a total of 6 letters. no middle name. less letter, more chance i get it right.

when you get to CA next time. you will have to get my lsd out and re-stacked the garbabe i got inside.
Old 04-12-2013 | 05:20 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

OK quick question. MY RS is about 90% track, but I do still drive to the track.

Dropped my car off this morning to get LSD upgraded. Should I just get it rebuilt with Guards internals or get the whole LSD replaced with a guards unit. I think it's about 2X (but I found out it is a two-month waiting list for the mack daddy, but no wait for the rebuild kit).

What does the RL brain trust recommend?
Old 04-12-2013 | 05:23 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

previous cars, i had the whole lsd repaced with GT housing as well.
but you need someone who can actully set back lash right.
i send the BG to copans to do LSD when he restacked my GB and R/P
Old 04-12-2013 | 05:28 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Allen, in your case I would say rebuild kit. Stock diff body is strong enough for the NA output, and it's a DE street car.
Old 04-12-2013 | 05:44 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
lol, you are lucking i only butchered ONE letter in your name.
there's a reason my kid's name only got a total of 6 letters. no middle name. less letter, more chance i get it right.

when you get to CA next time. you will have to get my lsd out and re-stacked the garbabe i got inside.
we just use my wife's last name for my kids' middle name. No more harassment from inlaws. Now we pass on names from both sides of family ... not that really matter

Originally Posted by Asquared
OK quick question. MY RS is about 90% track, but I do still drive to the track.

Dropped my car off this morning to get LSD upgraded. Should I just get it rebuilt with Guards internals or get the whole LSD replaced with a guards unit. I think it's about 2X (but I found out it is a two-month waiting list for the mack daddy, but no wait for the rebuild kit).

What does the RL brain trust recommend?
Rebuild the internal and you will be happy with the performance and money saved
Old 04-12-2013 | 05:47 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mikymu
we just use my wife's last name for my kids' middle name. No more harassment from inlaws. Now we pass on names from both sides of family ... not that really matter

Rebuild the internal and you will be happy with the performance and money saved
u wife only child?

my wife lastname, you got to be kidding. i barely remember her first name.

Quick Reply: Oem LSD gone...