Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

NT-01 on the street question....

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 11:52 AM
dsu*
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
I know one thing with regards to the NT01 and I found out the hard way. When I installed my first two sets I put a couple of heat cycles on them on the street before taking taking them to the track and I got 33 and 28 sessions (20 min each) before I corded them. The last set, I put them on, took off the stickers, and drove on them straight to the track. Well, 15 sessions later I'm seeing cords. Same car, same track. This tells me it's pretty important to get a heat cycle or two on them before track use in order to get the max life out of them.
very interesting. Non-shaved right?
Old 04-12-2013, 12:02 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Originally Posted by dsu*
very interesting. Non-shaved right?
Correct. Straight off the truck...
Old 04-12-2013, 12:14 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

That does not sound right, I have no experience with rears but most NT01 drovers go straight to the track, mine often rolls out of the trailer on stickers?
Old 04-12-2013, 12:29 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Angry

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
That does not sound right, I have no experience with rears but most NT01 drovers go straight to the track, mine often rolls out of the trailer on stickers?
I have no idea Peter. I am just reporting my experience for what it's worth. This is with regards to the 315/30/18s I'm running. My fronts are still looking fine but my rears are toast after 15 HCs.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:20 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

I'm sure you checked but the only logical explanation is more toe and / or more camber.
I get what you are saying, if you put a heat cycle or 2 on them and let them sit for a bit they last much better but it should not be so drastically different?
Old 04-12-2013, 01:30 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I'm sure you checked but the only logical explanation is more toe and / or more camber.
I get what you are saying, if you put a heat cycle or 2 on them and let them sit for a bit they last much better but it should not be so drastically different?
I wish I had an answer but I don't. Nothing was changed on my car and the alignment was checked and everything checked out. The only difference is that I'm consistently running about 2 seconds quicker than last year but I think that is because I swapped over to the 997.2 PCCB calipers with 380/350 steel rotors allowing me to brake a little harder and deeper than my previous 350/350 set up. Other than that everything is unchanged.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:05 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This matches what I've always heard, and followed. The first heat cycle is key.

Here's what tire rack has on it - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=66
Old 04-13-2013, 01:38 AM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

Can't believe this thread is still going....

Well, I drove the RS up there on the Nittos. A little twitchy given the negative camber I run and the state of disrepair of CA freeways but otherwise no issues whatsoever on the drive. Spent the night in a $33/night Motel 6 and then hit the track in the morning. Wonderful day of driving and met some nice new friends. I did about 110 miles on the track and the grip just got better throughout the day. Felt like I had a decent feel for the track by the end of the day and certainly worth going back. I drove home in the afternoon, again without issue. Put about 500 miles on the car (thus doubling the mileage during my ownership). The freeway driving didn't seem to add much wear to the tires.

So, although I can certainly endorse the streetability of the Nittos, I still prefer not to put that many miles on the car just driving up and down the freeway. I went out today and traded my 2003 X5 and my 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI for a shiny new Touareg TDI Lux with monstrous torque and ample towing capability. Very nice car for half the money of the Cayenne Diesel with a few options.

Thanks to all that replied.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:42 AM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad you had fun!
Old 04-13-2013, 01:51 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Touareg tdi is a great rig
Old 04-13-2013, 02:14 AM
Mike Li
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be driving up to buttonwillow this Sunday on Ventus TD tires. they are loud as f*#) my interior rattle so bad i dont know if i can survive the 1.5 - 2 hr drive one way.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:46 AM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

Well Mike, it was 3 hours on the way there and close to 4 on the way back having to get through LA traffic. It was a little loud but I just put the ear buds in and listened to Pandora on my phone to drown out some of the noise (I have Cup exhaust too).

Buttonwillow was a fun little track. If you haven't been, you will enjoy. Although one guy managed to hit a wall while we were there, its a pretty safe track with lots of run off. HAVE FUN!
Old 04-13-2013, 05:44 AM
Mike Li
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tlarocque
Well Mike, it was 3 hours on the way there and close to 4 on the way back having to get through LA traffic. It was a little loud but I just put the ear buds in and listened to Pandora on my phone to drown out some of the noise (I have Cup exhaust too).

Buttonwillow was a fun little track. If you haven't been, you will enjoy. Although one guy managed to hit a wall while we were there, its a pretty safe track with lots of run off. HAVE FUN!
Definitely. This is my first time at buttonwillow with the RS. have been going there and running 13CW for a few years but never experienced driving a rear engine car. for me it's about 130 miles so it's about 1.5-2 hrs drive.

i think i will put my stock wheels back on after this, i want a more civilized ride so i can drive the car more often.

Quick Reply: NT-01 on the street question....