Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

NT-01 on the street question....

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 05:32 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 35 Posts
Default NT-01 on the street question....

Taking my RS up to Buttonwillow this afternoon. Had rented a Uhaul trailer to tow it the 200 miles up there but I coudn't get the car on the trailer to the point that I was comfortable.

I have NT-01's that probably have 2-3 track days. Can someone reassure me that they will be okay to drive a couple hundred miles each way plus whatever track mileage I can do in a day?

Thanks!
Old 04-10-2013, 05:36 PM
dsu*
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you should be fine as long as the weather stays dry. Looks to a great week, sunshine all around. Others will chime in.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:43 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have NT01 experience, but have been running R-compounds on the street since the late 1980s. So far, the only R-compounds I won't run on the street are Hoosiers - they just 'seem' too fragile.
Otherwise, if the tires are ok for the track, that are ok to drive.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:47 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts

I've done several track days on my R888s and I drive to and from the track each time as well as on the street on the weekends. As I understand it, the RA1/NT-01 compound is similar (but better apparently) and lasts a long time. The compound is streetable, period, imho. So the tread is the only worry if it rains. I've heard the NT-01s are passable in the rain if the tread depth isn't worn too low. I hope others correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:49 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
I don't have NT01 experience, but have been running R-compounds on the street since the late 1980s. So far, the only R-compounds I won't run on the street are Hoosiers - they just 'seem' too fragile.
Otherwise, if the tires are ok for the track, that are ok to drive.
Only caveat is that you put more heat cycles in on the street, but the NT-01s are supposed to be resistant to that and retain grip till there's no tire left, from what I've heard.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:53 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

You can street NT01s no problem. I'm mounting track tires today to prep for the 130 mile drive up to Thunderhill. Heck, I used to DD on NT01s with my other car and probably the only life lost was a few laps on track while doing so (ok, so my commute is really short). I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:56 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Nuff said. I didn't want to roast my new Super Sports either. Thanks all for chiming in, I'll run the Nittos.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:04 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
Only caveat is that you put more heat cycles in on the street, but the NT-01s are supposed to be resistant to that and retain grip till there's no tire left, from what I've heard.
You know, I've always heard that too, but in my experience, street use has been a great way to get the (all important) first heat cycle in, and most street cycles are 'gentle' compared to track use. The only R-compounds I've ever had cycle out were an early set of Pirelli P-Zero Cs.
I've had more trouble with Goodrich R1s (sidewalls cracking) than with any other R-compound I've driven.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:36 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

i plan on running my NT01s from st.petes beach to Homestead and back.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:39 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

No worries. I've driven from here to Willcox and back with no issues. (about 220 miles each way) Just know - they are LOUD!!! Crank up the tunes or they will drive you nuts.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:06 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tlarocque
Taking my RS up to Buttonwillow this afternoon. Had rented a Uhaul trailer to tow it the 200 miles up there but I coudn't get the car on the trailer to the point that I was comfortable.

I have NT-01's that probably have 2-3 track days. Can someone reassure me that they will be okay to drive a couple hundred miles each way plus whatever track mileage I can do in a day?

Thanks!
There is a trick for the Uhaul that can make it work - I did it.

As you figured out, the problem is the front - the low over hang and the metal on the front of the trailer.
I bought a 2x8 and got out a wood saw.
You need to cut a section about 1.5 feet in length and place it in front of where the metal wheel lock that the front wheels run over. Underneath this piece and at the very front of the trailer put a small section of 2x4 perpendicular and underneath the 2x8 to create a ramp so that the car's nose starts to lift over the metal section on the front of the trailer.
Finally, you also need to put a piece of wood in front of the metal wheel lock temporarily as you are loading the car to again lift the nose.

Because you have now lifted the wheels above at least half of the front metal piece that is used to secure the vehicle from rolling forward, you need real trailer tie downs for the rear wheels.

Finally, even with the above technique (it works perfectly), when you do move the vehicle far enough forward so that the tires are touching the metal frame, there is a rubber undercarriage section that seems to direct air to the brake ducts that when you are backing down needs someone the push them up so the don't potentially tear.

Needless to say it isn't optimal but once you have the pieces of wood cut it is easy - you just need a second person to help you back the car down that pushes up the rubber pieces.

I will try and find a picture I have somewhere

Last edited by 997gt3north; 04-10-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:12 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Thanks GT3north- I can see how your technique would work but I just decided it wasn't worth damaging the car vs. just driving it up there. I don't have the time/help to get it done right today. I would still love to see your pics though. Kicking myself for selling my Featherlite:-(
Old 04-10-2013, 07:23 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After almost crashing towing my 911 on a Uhaul car trailer. The car just had too much weight out back and as soon as I got on the interstate it started fishtailing. I had to drive 25 on the shoulder to get it to the next exit. Tried to back it on the trailer - no go - kept spinning the boards under the tires.

BEWARE towing 911's on a car not properly balanced and insufficient tongue weight.

Ended up droving on my NT-01's to Talledaga, did a track day and drove back. No worries.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:32 PM
bensf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I concur about the maddening tire noise but after going through six sets of NT01's I have no concerns about driving them to the track. Rain is not a concern to about 1/2 tread depth, just be a little cautious. In fact I think they are better in the rain than the Trofeo's.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:15 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

flatbed it there and back
baller :-)

Quick Reply: NT-01 on the street question....