Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Drove a 991S today...whoa!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 03:09 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think PDK or its variations from other manufactures will be the trend for all sports cars now. Most flagship sportscar has gone to this route. BMW ( their smg had history of painful growth but now much better or near perfect with dct - hardware and software will only make things better in the future)

Now Porsche probably found out that they can cater to more broader audiences and sell more cars if PDK is integrated in higher $$ line up. They will do this and add more technology to make drivers of all skill level be "good".

Im a novice when it comes to the motorsport. The rev match, down shift, trail braking etc... but if you take the manual gear box out of the equation, "most" drivers will have less things to worry about and focus on driving.

No money shift for sure
Old 04-03-2013, 03:49 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, I still think starting out in a manual car with clutch is the way to go. Get the basics down, no help from the computers and auto trans. Once you understand the basic balance and driving theory behind it, hopping into a PDK car is a really easy transition and, if you're a competent driver, you get up to speed very, very quickly. A good driver used to clutch/manual will only go faster in the PDK/DCT cars, but the reverse is almost never true.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:23 PM
wanna911
Race Car

To bad there will never be a true manual in the 991 so we can see how much of the improvement of the 991 is chassis/suspension and how much is the numerous gadgets. Of course PDK will get credit for every second but the 991 Cup improvements will show us how much the chassis and suspension have improved.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:41 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
To bad there will never be a true manual in the 991
Do you mean 991 GT3? An expert driving a manual should be able to stay within a fraction of a sec (on a 2 min track) of a pdk car, all else being equal. Perhaps there are 991S manual v pdk times to measure the pdk advantage? Dave
Old 04-03-2013, 05:16 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jenk12m
well i have always been one for the manual and always will. however, i had an eye opening experience by getting to drive my buddies 991S with aerokit on the the track today. atlanta motorsports park is a short technical track with no real straight away, so HP doesnt really matter there. my best time ever has been a 1:29 on ra1's in my RS.
I hop in his car and do 1:31.7 after only 3 laps with room for more. his car is bone stock with only an alignment and michelin supersports. i was so shocked after the 3rd lap, i just brought it in back to the pits. so now i can only imagine how fast the 3 and the RS will be with PDK.
i still love my manual and wont be getting rid of it anytime soon, but i see why porsche has made the switch
Hi Jenk,

thanks for the info..just two things:

1) you mentioned the 991 had suspension setup..I guess you know very well that with a suspension setup and different tires..one can even get a lot more from a boxster or a nissan micra..

2) on such a short track..do you think a Mclaren would be 10 seconds faster? No..on short tracks the difference will always be smaller.

The 991 S is a very competent car..but it would be interesting to see how big the difference would have been to a modded 997S..which would be slower ..for sure..but what I was trying to say..whether Mclaren, 997S, GT3RS, 997S..on smaller tracks the differences wont be high..
Old 04-03-2013, 05:47 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by dasams
Do you mean 991 GT3? An expert driving a manual should be able to stay within a fraction of a sec (on a 2 min track) of a pdk car, all else being equal. Perhaps there are 991S manual v pdk times to measure the pdk advantage? Dave
No I meant in the 991 period. The 991 only gets a spin off manual from the PDK, so the weight advantage goes out of the window, and no telling how else they handicapped it. The GT3 gets no manual at all. So unfortunately we won't get to see the truth and the PDK bandwagon can continue to be blown out of proportion.

And so PDK will get all of the credit for the speed of the 991. And secondly rear steer, PTV, PDCC blah blah you name it on down the line with the actual chassis improvements lost in translation.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:56 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hats off to VW for making a fast automatic Porsche.

The clever placing of paddles near the wheel must really heighten the realism.

And major hats off to VW for inching one step closer to the double:
1) keeping their service depts in business for years to come and
2) simultaneously marking up the price of every Porsche sold.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:08 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,541 Likes on 814 Posts

well i have always been one for the manual and always will. however, i had an eye opening experience by getting to drive my buddies 991S with aerokit on the the track today. atlanta motorsports park is a short technical track with no real straight away, so HP doesnt really matter there. my best time ever has been a 1:29 on ra1's in my RS.
I hop in his car and do 1:31.7 after only 3 laps with room for more. his car is bone stock with only an alignment and michelin supersports. i was so shocked after the 3rd lap, i just brought it in back to the pits. so now i can only imagine how fast the 3 and the RS will be with PDK.
i still love my manual and wont be getting rid of it anytime soon, but i see why porsche has made the switch
LOL do I know you?

Originally Posted by perfectlap
hats off to VW for making a fast automatic Porsche.

The clever placing of paddles near the wheel must really heighten the realism.

And major hats off to VW for inching one step closer to the double:
1) keeping their service depts in business for years to come and
2) simultaneously marking up the price of every Porsche sold.
LOL pretty much on the mark!
Old 04-03-2013, 11:59 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
Hi Jenk,

thanks for the info..just two things:

1) you mentioned the 991 had suspension setup..I guess you know very well that with a suspension setup and different tires..one can even get a lot more from a boxster or a nissan micra..

2) on such a short track..do you think a Mclaren would be 10 seconds faster? No..on short tracks the difference will always be smaller.

The 991 S is a very competent car..but it would be interesting to see how big the difference would have been to a modded 997S..which would be slower ..for sure..but what I was trying to say..whether Mclaren, 997S, GT3RS, 997S..on smaller tracks the differences wont be high..
the car i drove was bone stock so there was no suspension setup

no i dont think it will be 10sec faster. goldcrest was there testing a cup car and had cass whitehead there helping the new customer. his best time was a 1:23 compared to my 1:29 in the RS. he said with better shocks and fresh rubber he could get down to a 20-21 and if i added R6'S i would be down to a 27, so still not 10sec
i would love to see the time difference on a bigger track with proper straights
Old 04-04-2013, 05:09 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

the car i drove was bone stock so there was no suspension setup

no i dont think it will be 10sec faster. goldcrest was there testing a cup car and had cass whitehead there helping the new customer. his best time was a 1:23 compared to my 1:29 in the RS. he said with better shocks and fresh rubber he could get down to a 20-21 and if i added R6'S i would be down to a 27, so still not 10sec
i would love to see the time difference on a bigger track with proper straights
OK..ah..was asking because you mentioned something of an alignment and michelin..whatever.

You see, even a cup car can "only" get 6 seconds..probably the Mclaren would be 1-2seconds max - faster than your RS..the 991S perfectly fits in there. No revolution for me here..

The Cup is the "revolution"..

Quick Reply: Drove a 991S today...whoa!!