Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Anybody else have a problem with a dashboard rattle on their GT3???

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 03:32 PM
Rob Wolford
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Anybody else have a problem with a dashboard rattle on their GT3???

Guys, I love my new to me 2011 GT3RS, however it has a bit of a dashboard rattle that is driving me bonkers.

Of course, the rattle gets worse the higher the rpm's go. I am wondering if this is unique to my car, or an issue that has been discussed before with other owners????

Ideally I'd like to be able to guide my dealer on where to start rather than him starting from scratch.

Any guidance or input would be most appreciated. Thanks to all!

Rob
Old 03-20-2013, 03:47 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Dealer will put some sticky padding in b/t the dashboard parts.. Which dealer do you take yours to? I see you are in socal
Old 03-20-2013, 03:47 PM
993 770
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happened to me and the instrument cluster was the culprit.. If i pushed the cluster in, the noise would stop. It was squeaking obnoxiously and dealer ended up replacing the entire cluster. Noise is now gone.

Good Luck!
Old 03-20-2013, 03:57 PM
Rob Wolford
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input DB.

So tell me about your avatar? Are you a hockey player or just a fan who liked that pic. PM me if we need to take this offline. Thx.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:05 PM
993 770
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Rob Wolford
Thanks for the input DB.

So tell me about your avatar? Are you a hockey player or just a fan who liked that pic. PM me if we need to take this offline. Thx.

Weekend warrior yes! Hockey player... I wish!

Just a huge Kings fan, and I work on Hollywood Blvd, so the avatar just makes me
Old 03-20-2013, 06:41 PM
Rob Wolford
Rennlist Member

I have a bunch of friends who are hockey players, including some of th Kings.

Just figured I needed to ask the question and make sure one of my buddies wasn't hiding behind a user name that I didn't recognize.

Off to the Ducks-Blackhawk game in 3 hours. Can't wait!!!!!
Old 03-20-2013, 07:49 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Wolford
Guys, I love my new to me 2011 GT3RS, however it has a bit of a dashboard rattle that is driving me bonkers.

Of course, the rattle gets worse the higher the rpm's go. I am wondering if this is unique to my car, or an issue that has been discussed before with other owners????

Ideally I'd like to be able to guide my dealer on where to start rather than him starting from scratch.

Any guidance or input would be most appreciated. Thanks to all!

Rob
It's a pretty easy fix if yours is like my rattle problem. I cut a couple 1" & 2" pieces of black foam weatherstripping (the narrow kind about 1/4" wide with sticky tape on one side) and tucked them as far back as I could in the rattle areas between the dash and the instrument cluster dials. One way you can tell if this solution will work is to drive the car at a speed that rattles, then stick your fingers between the dash and speedos until you stop or minimize the rattle. That will also be the area to apply the foam weatherstripping tape. Rattle free for 3 years now and not visible unless you really look hard and shine a light in there.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:48 PM
Rob Wolford
Rennlist Member

Stronbl~

You nailed it!!! Rattle is definitely the gauge cluster housing inside the dash. I can isolate it by pinching the housing with my fingers when it is rattling. Off to Home Depot to pick up some of that black foam weatherstripping!!!!

Thanks for the tip!!!

RW

Quick Reply: Anybody else have a problem with a dashboard rattle on their GT3???