4.0 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 03:07 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,704 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Champion is temporarily selling my car and who knows I might get old fast and need PDK. 991RS + cash to trade in the 4.0 LOL

Shoot outs are gonna get done at Sebring. West coast has no real tracks.
We'll have you, me and another one one, maybe even a few more like Sharky 3.9 and who knows a Ruf?
. I'll volunteer to be the gentle consistent benchmark driver :-)

It would be awesome to do a real test. Not a 5 lap ***** GTR car mag test but a real long 500 mile track test.

I have good hoped for the "other" one.
five lap is no test.
put a car on sebring for 60 min non stop then we are talking
Old 03-21-2013, 06:24 AM
heyhobingo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys, really appreciate the responses.

i should have mentioned, i would send the engine to germany to get done, FVD have done the conversion a number of times and i feel comfortable them doing it for me.

im just waiting for clarification of my warranty, my local Porsche independent here in Dubai will allow you to use any FVD upgrade as long as they fit it without voiding warranty, but still need them to confirm they will remove engine, send to germany and replace engine when complete.

i thought about a track 4.0 but they are rare, and WAAAAy pricey! i nearly deposited a new 991 GT3 this week, but love my 997.1 so much i didnt want to form out for a new car.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:26 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,660 Likes on 771 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRanger
Nah, you won't keep it long enough.
Come 2014 you'll be jones'n for a 991 GT3RS. Going for that 2:12 at Sebring.
Though keep it until the fall. GMG has brought up having a "shoot out" at track out west.

Ranger (Sua Sponte)
2:12 only takes a set of slicks and maybe a few different gears.

Originally Posted by mooty
five lap is no test.
This year at Sebring we did Winterfest, 4 days of 4 x 30 sessions each than we did 2 David Murry days in a row with 4/5 50 minute sessions (tank empty) each day followed by 4 days of 4 20 minute sessions at 48hours. That's a test. Good luck with your 991 next year.

Originally Posted by heyhobingo

i should have mentioned, i would send the engine to germany to get done, FVD have done the conversion a number of times and i feel comfortable them doing it for me.

im just waiting for clarification of my warranty, my local Porsche independent here in Dubai will allow you to use any FVD upgrade as long as they fit it without voiding warranty, but still need them to confirm they will remove engine, send to germany and replace engine when complete.

i thought about a track 4.0 but they are rare, and WAAAAy pricey! i nearly deposited a new 991 GT3 this week, but love my 997.1 so much i didnt want to form out for a new car.
I'm beating Mooty's price by 20K, that's a deal.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:27 AM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
five lap is no test.
I agree, one hour at Sebring or maybe two hours with a pit for fuel and we're really talking "street/track" car engine, tranny, suspension and brake tolerances.

Ranger (Sua Sponte)
Old 03-21-2013, 10:38 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by heyhobingo

If you are seriously considering shipping the motor to Germany then you should consider another two engine builders.
Manthey Racing and RS Tuning do a 4.3 litre, both these companies build race engines and have a LOT of experience compared to FVD (especially with the 997GT3) who is primarily street "tuner".
Anecdotally I hear that the RS Tuning 4.3 keeps up with GT2RS at the track !!
Old 03-21-2013, 11:28 AM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 105 Posts

+1

Originally Posted by TB993tt
If you are seriously considering shipping the motor to Germany then you should consider another two engine builders.
Manthey Racing and RS Tuning do a 4.3 litre, both these companies build race engines and have a LOT of experience compared to FVD (especially with the 997GT3) who is primarily street "tuner".
Anecdotally I hear that the RS Tuning 4.3 keeps up with GT2RS at the track !!
Old 03-21-2013, 12:26 PM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
... Anecdotally I hear that the RS Tuning 4.3 keeps up with GT2RS at the track !!
"Anecdotally" have you heard how many have gone ... BANG ?
Just saying, like DeNiro said in "The Raging Bull" ... "I've heard some things, I've heard some things" ...

Ranger (Sua Sponte)
Old 03-21-2013, 12:42 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Just saying, like DeNiro said in "The Raging Bull" ... "I've heard some things, I've heard some things" ...

Ranger (Sua Sponte)
Can you please elaborate on the significance, since a lot of factory engines go BANG and also from other GT3 engine hot-rodders closer to home.

Serge engine building has a one out of one 100% success ratio - must be the best of them all.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:50 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Ranger (Sua Sponte)
I treat anything car performance related which I haven't seen with my own eyes as "anecdotal"

I know RS do different versions for street cars and for race cars, outputs below.
There is always at least one race 4.3 engine in the shop which presumably will be in for houred maintenance..... They've done a lot of endurance racing with these as have Manthey, compared to an FVD "kit" these are the gold standard for GT3 IMHO

997 GT3 RS / Straße
Leistung: 393 kW / 534 PS bei 8500 U/min
Drehmoment: 517 Nm bei 5300 U/min
mit serienmäßiger Schalldämpferanlage

997 Cup Modeljahr 2009
Leistung: 405 kW / 551 PS bei 8100 U/min
Drehmoment: 533 Nm bei 5500 U/min

997 RSR ohne Airrestriktor
Leistung: 427 kW / 582 PS bei 8400 U/min
Drehmoment: 539 Nm bei 6700 U/min, von 5500 U/min bis 7500 U/min über 525 Nm

On the engine dyno

Quick Reply: 4.0 conversion