Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Interested in learning more about GT3s

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 03:38 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GT3 under 4k is useless and waste of gas on the street... feels like any other 911 CS... but when you go above 5k is when it gets real fun but you run out of room on the street.

If i had to do it all over again.. I would get the one you can afford PLUS have money left over because somehow the money will start to walk away by themselves with addiction with these cars.. Lock up your wallet. =)
Old 03-19-2013, 10:26 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Gt3's pretty useless street cars. Mike
Really?

I have owned more raw/stripped/track oriented cars. But how is, say, a 997.1 GT3 with sat/nav, full leather, etc. not a good weekend fun car in the Texas Hill Country where I live? Surprised to hear this comment about the modern non-RS GT3s....
Old 03-19-2013, 10:32 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I would get the .1 and save your $ to take the wife on a first class holiday to NZ. That's what I did anyway. For a street only car the only advantage of the .2 is the lift. And the CLs are a huge disadvantage IMO.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:25 AM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Thanks for info

This definitely would not be an every day car
Would you be street driving or occasional or heavy track use?
Personally for the price savings .1 vs .2, I would stick with a .1 and consider the 3.9 upgrade.....especially if your goal is to be a street guy. If you desire slightly better refinement and a higher price tag go with a .2, these will have CPOs for a while.
If your goal is to have a track car find one that someone has already put all the track goodies on....you will save money.
if your goal is to hold the value as high as possible keep the mileage down and the condition as nice as possible.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:44 AM
Tom Pritchett
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's really up to you, but I would agree with most of the comments about getting the 7.1. Way too many complaints about the cl and the maintenance that goes with them. Really, I doubt that you would go wrong with either as they are amazing cars.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:31 PM
DLJ
Racer

Really?

I have owned more raw/stripped/track oriented cars. But how is, say, a 997.1 GT3 with sat/nav, full leather, etc. not a good weekend fun car in the Texas Hill Country where I live? Surprised to hear this comment about the modern non-RS GT3s....
My car came from your neck of the woods and I think you can't go wrong with a nicely optioned "highway" version of the .1 (leather, nav,etc. if you like) to tour around the hills. I think you are on the right track gathering others opinions to help with your decision. I spent a couple of years trying to define exactly what I wanted and how to fund it. It seemed that as soon as I was very clear on what I wanted, the best car showed up.

Personally, I wanted a road car for weekends and non-commute duty (no tracks near me anyways), and initially was focused on the .2. However, the centerlock wheels have become a big issue for me that won't go away. And conversion to 5 lug is costly, driving the cost up to make the difference between a nicely optioned .1 and the 5 lug converted .2 too much for me. Actually my lengthly waiting worked out, as the centerlock issue mushroomed over the last year or so, helping me decide to go towards the .1. Also lower initial $ outlay leaves room for any future mods (if I even do any). As I wanted a weekend road car, I like having the sunroof as well. The difference in styling and performance between the .1 and .1RS for the extra $ was not enough for me (plus like a discreet, low LEO attractant,non-decal version for my purposes). Bottom line, I was looking for a car with specific colors and optioned to my liking, with the bonus being a very clean ownership record and DME. I feel very fortunate to have found it. Good luck with your search!
Old 03-19-2013, 05:12 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Really?

Hi Mrsullivan,

Except the CL . everything speaks for the 997.2 GT3 according to me - I have owned both cars -and still own a 997.2 GT3 - so Im able to jude it a bit

1) 997.2 has better Radio-navigation..looks also better
2) as already mentioned - 997.2 GT3 has slightly more comfortable suspension
3) 20HP more..but you cant feel the difference..100rpm more is howver as small bonus
4). 997.2 last manual gt3 with gt1 engine..will always have a special place.
5) steering in 997.2 GT3 is a bit less direct..this is also a disadvantage..

Now to the daily driving: the GT3 is a perfect weekend car..nothing better than that!..of course a Bentley is more comfortable..but Im not so sure whether your black series is like a Bentley too..I guess not Test drive the 3.8 and you will see..
Old 03-19-2013, 07:15 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,764 Likes on 2,361 Posts

^ i agree with all points, except i find the .2 steering equally as good as .1

mr sullivan. the gt cars are fine for street use. but they are not a DD type of car. it's not a comfort issue, but rather an issue of frustation. if you hit traffic in a GT car, you either start using profanity like you cannot believe or you start driving like bat out of hell changing lanes like grasshopper and end up in jail. i think i have done both......

but for weekend fun, u pick the right time and route with no real destination and time restraint, not many cars are better.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:23 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Daily driving my .1 now. Have put the C4S in garage. If if have to fight traffic I will use the C4S. (PDK).
Wife doesn't like the rough ride or the gt2 seats. Plus her purse amongst the roll bar is a big neg.
The hills of Seattle make it a challenge with the 3.
Good to have options.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:27 PM
TNetworks
Advanced

Touring GT3 is an oxymoron. That would be like trail riding on a Quarter Horse. If I'm going to cruise I would, at least, like somewhere to rest my elbows....brutal.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:33 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Enjoying my Black Series very much right now. Very different experience than the Porsches I have owned or driven. Much more a blunt instrument. Yes, has factory coilovers, etc. but so much torque with rear wheel drive and engine in front, just breaks free in almost every gear. The engine is a masterpiece and it feels faster than any car I have driven, including turbos, etc. The noises it makes are intoxicating and especially the 2013 is a rare limited numbers car.

But this is all coming up as I have been approached by a potential buyer offering top dollar. Need to decide whether to hold onto it or shift. I have always thought next Porsche I might buy (if not another 993 which has been my favorite) is the 997 GT3.

thanks for all the info, please keep coming
Just to add a little persepctive, I traded a CLK 63 Black Series for my 997.2 GT3RS. Granted, the economic times have improved in the 2 years since, but the AMG had lost a lot of value. Meanwhile, the RS has held up better than most cars, and I turned down an offer of $140K (last summer) for it.

No doubt your car is a riot to drive, but if you're getting a good offer and considering a GT3, I say go for it while you can. Driving-wise, I have no regrets.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:14 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,823 Likes on 1,110 Posts

Lots of great feedback in this thread. I'm craving a stripped/low option .1 GT3 RS for weekend canyon runs here in Socal. I don't do track time (this is a preemptive move on my part, because I know what will happen. I'll get hooked and have another expensive hobby to deal with) and I don't like fancy extras to add weight or break in my sports cars. I have my DD for that. I think I have the wife finally sold on the fact I "NEED" one. She even likes orange. Hmmm....
Old 03-19-2013, 08:31 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

there is one for sale in Phoenix i think
Old 03-19-2013, 08:49 PM
Tracky
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
there is one for sale in Phoenix i think
Link please...?

Also to the OP:

No, don't buy a 997.1. I don't need the extra buying competition. Go away!
Old 03-19-2013, 10:28 PM
monochrom3
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 99 Posts

I agree the GT3 is fine for the street, and to me the jump from .1 to .2 is well worth it. Drive them back to back to get the best comparision... that's what I did, and was sold on the .2. I agree with Porsche.collector... given it's not a track car for you, the CL is not an issue.

I'm loving my .2 on the Austin/Hill Country roads

Quick Reply: Interested in learning more about GT3s