Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Tire choice: Super Sport or RE-11. Weekend car + 4-5 HPDE/yr.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 09:03 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 611 Likes on 295 Posts

I dont see an 19 inch sizes in RE11A for GT3 2010. Maybe they are coming. My car started with Cups which didnt last long at all all. I went through 3 seta at 2200 bucks a shot I am on my fist set of Super Sports which are a much better all around tire. I dont see much difference on the track but want to stepup to a more aggressive tire with my PFC 08 pads.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:09 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 611 Likes on 295 Posts

How about this. RE11S!!!
http://ms.bridgestone.co.jp/ms_tyre2/11s.html
Old 03-13-2013, 11:52 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Anyone transcribe Japanese?
Old 03-14-2013, 10:19 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I love the super sports. Great street tire that will double duty at the track. Finally corded the rears and ordered another set yesterday. Fronts look new. Had about 13k miles and 5 days on the rears before they finally corded. Can't speak for the other tire as I've never run it.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:22 AM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 74 Posts

Andrew,

You found the Super Sport performed well on track? That is really my biggest concern. I don't doubt that's it's fantastic street tire, I just wanted to ensure it's up to a little abuse on track. As a 'max performance' tire versus 'extreme performance' tire, I didn't know how it coped with the additional heat, stress, loads on the hot track.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:48 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Yes, it did very very well on the track. At NOLA, I was about 1-1.5 seconds off Izzone and TrakCar's pace on RA-1. That's a relatively small track though.

At sebring I was about 4-5 seconds off the Nitto NT-01. That is a relatively large track in comparison to the NOLA short track course. I think my best at Sebring on the SS was 227 or a high 226. Not too shabby for a street tire.

The super sports are very fun. They offer decent grip, lots of feedback, and are pretty quick considering they wear like iron.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:56 AM
AWay
Rennlist Member

I think I'm leaning towards the SS. I'm not sure the RE-11 provides enough additional performance to warrant it over the Super Sport's great demeanor basically everwhere. I'm sure any of the proper 'track' oriented tires would add a commensurate increase, but between the SS and RE-11 it doesn't sound like worlds apart.

With just a few days spent at the track each year anyway, I don't want to put too much emphasis there anyhow. I initially had fear of damaging the Super Sport's tread significantly in one track outing and it sounds like that's unfounded.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:01 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Yes, it did very very well on the track. At NOLA, I was about 1-1.5 seconds off Izzone and TrakCar's pace on RA-1. That's a relatively small track though.

At sebring I was about 4-5 seconds off the Nitto NT-01. That is a relatively large track in comparison to the NOLA short track course. I think my best at Sebring on the SS was 227 or a high 226. Not too shabby for a street tire.

The super sports are very fun. They offer decent grip, lots of feedback, and are pretty quick considering they wear like iron.
Green Nola laptimes are like explianingtire grip on an Ice scate rink ;-)

Originally Posted by AWay
I think I'm leaning towards the SS. I'm not sure the RE-11 provides enough additional performance to warrant it over the Super Sport's great demeanor basically everwhere. I'm sure any of the proper 'track' oriented tires would add a commensurate increase, but between the SS and RE-11 it doesn't sound like worlds apart.

With just a few days spent at the track each year anyway, I don't want to put too much emphasis there anyhow. I initially had fear of damaging the Super Sport's tread significantly in one track outing and it sounds like that's unfounded.
Like Deputy says, SS are great tires, I put them on my wifes car (BMW 535 and did a few laps on track with it, 16K miles now and they are hardly wearing??) I also just bought them for my 4.0 in case I end up at the track with street wheels while I can still drive through monsoon rains in the summer to work. MPSC are suicide in the rain, even brand new.

They will hold up on track and give you 90% of the grip. For a few track days a year it will allow you to not buy a second set of wheels / tires and drive to and from the track.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:04 AM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Sounds good to me. Certainly it must be an improvement over the 4+ year old PS2's that are currently mounted.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:10 AM
SCAN Automotive
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Simple decision. If it's rainy where you are, the Super Sport's are excellent (I'm in the PNWet, so I kinda' get to torture test these things), and the weight difference is noticeable. WHY are all Bridgestone's so frigging heavy? Pirelli and Michelin don't seem to have trouble making a tire that weighs significantly less.

RE-11's are really a good tire if you're an occasional track guy and only have one set of wheels and tires (seriously, who on here only has one set of wheels and tires for their GT3?).
Old 03-14-2013, 01:53 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

I have only one set of wheels and tires. I know LOSER. More like just lazy.

Regarding super sports have run them on my 3 for about 6 to 8 track days now and still look good. I have never tried stickier tires so can't compare on that front. I am not the fastest tool in the shed though so take it for what it's worth. Just living the dream although more slowly than others on here.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:59 PM
Datura
Instructor

Location: Big Bend region of West Texas/Hill Country near Austin. Texas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GT3 newbie question.
I still have not purchased a second set of wheels for my GT3 and am liking the MPSS for track and street. However, I would like to be able to run a second set of wheels with dedicated track tires at some point.
Are GT3 people running 18" wheels to take advantage of the wider selection of tires available in 18". Does it affect handling in any noticeable way? Any recommendations/thoughts appreciated.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:07 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

18x8.5/9 and 18x12. Nitto NT01. Done.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:55 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

I own and like both PSS and RE-11s (and RS-3s), but I'd really want to get the new Dunlop Sport Max Race if I were you. If you drive in the cold or wet you can't swing it, but if you drive where and when it's warm you could pull it off.

PSS are the best street tire, as others have said, but the they don't last as long as you'd think. They get hard fairly quickly as they get older, and will chunk at that point if you're pushing them, see the upper edge of my last rears:

Thus if you're pushing hard the useful life of the RE-11s isn't as much shorter as you'd think based on tread wear.

The Dunlops need some heat, but they come in your size and are much faster than either of the other options, and I suspect also more progressive over the limit. I'm very tempted to get a set instead of the PSS for my summer tires, anyway, but they just came out so you'd be one of the first to run them.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:13 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

It would be interesting to see how the Dunlops compare with Trofeos. They are in the same price range(~$2000).

Quick Reply: Tire choice: Super Sport or RE-11. Weekend car + 4-5 HPDE/yr.