Tilt angle of 997.1 RS Wing

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 05:57 AM
thedoctor
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
Default Tilt angle of 997.1 RS Wing

Hi all, wonder if anyone can help me with the following question:

I have a 997.1 RS Wing on my 996.2 and was wondering what effect slanting the wing would have on the cars dynamics. Currently the wing is in a flat horizontal position but i've seen a few pics of wings that have been slanted and i think it looks so much better.

Any comments would be very helpful for me. Thanks in advance.

Chris
Old 03-07-2013, 09:25 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How do you use the car - and how much track experience do you have?

Which dampers/springs do you have on the car; tires and front aero?

All of this plays a role.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:33 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

- from a looks perspective, if you are just driving around town, put it where you want it - it won't matter
- from a track speed perspective, up to about 110mph at any level, you will just get more rear grip - but aero is a cubic function wrt speed so it start ramping quickly above 100
- once you get above 100, given aero's cubic nature, stuff starts changing quickly so aero balance becomes an issue - and on your car, without a cup front splitter and other tilting radiator tricks, at any wing angle above a few degrees you will likely feel a cavitating affect
- if you install the cup front splitter and do a few of the other 996 tricks that guys with that wing have done, you can run the wing at around 8-10 degrees above flat - this will work right up to tracks with top speeds maxing at 135-140 (which is most tracks)
Old 03-07-2013, 10:12 AM
thedoctor
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KaiB
How do you use the car - and how much track experience do you have?

Which dampers/springs do you have on the car; tires and front aero?

All of this plays a role.
I use the car mostly on the road with about 3 or 4 track days a year, but performance and handling dynamics are much more important to me that aesthetics, so if handling is compromised in any way i would rather just leave wing as is.

I have stock standard suspension and front aero. Currently i have 18' P-Zero Corsas on the car.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:17 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by thedoctor
I use the car mostly on the road with about 3 or 4 track days a year, but performance and handling dynamics are much more important to me that aesthetics, so if handling is compromised in any way i would rather just leave wing as is.

I have stock standard suspension and front aero. Currently i have 18' P-Zero Corsas on the car.
As stated above, be careful with too much wing.

Put 8* from horizontal on it. Next time on track, pay careful attention to the front end and add/subtract from there. Tire temp/pressure records are also a good place to start - if you track the car, you SHOULD have these started already.

More is good at slower (less than 140mph) tracks, but all of this must be balanced out with the front air.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:15 PM
thedoctor
Intermediate

Thank you for your inputs. I think I'll give 8 degrees a try and see how it feels.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:25 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Keep it flat. You don't need the extra drag on the street.

As a data point, hardly anyone benefits from 8 degrees on the RS wing blade on a 996. 4 degrees is usually money. 8 degrees has a huge reduction is high speed acceleration without any apparent benefit through the corners.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:49 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Serge944
Keep it flat. You don't need the extra drag on the street.

As a data point, hardly anyone benefits from 8 degrees on the RS wing blade on a 996. 4 degrees is usually money. 8 degrees has a huge reduction is high speed acceleration without any apparent benefit through the corners.
Data? I carry more than that.

Edit to add: I thought about this for a feeble moment. Wing angle and thus the drag/stability associated with it is a driver/track dependent.

The springs and damper settings on my car most certainly won't please most other drivers, but they do me, and I have tons of data to verify that. In the same sense, wing angle and rear downforce are variables which each driver has to work out for himself.

If you have a need to make up speed on the straights, without putting the car at its limits in corners, by all means, flatten your wing. If you need the stability under deep braking and mid-corner under throttle, work with your aero package after you get your suspension right.

Advice from guys like me on boards like this should always be taken with a grain of salt...what works for me won't work for you.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:35 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks KaiB for your feedback.

I was tempted to answer this post but when I started thinking about what I went through in considering "only" a 4 degree change and finally realizing how much effect it does have at various speeds/tracks/etc..... I found it hard to articulate this process.

I have to admit that the average DD and sometimes DE'er won't really benefit right now from what we tell him/her, providing feedback is impotant to the value of this site - we were all once there.

Tom

Quick Reply: Tilt angle of 997.1 RS Wing