Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

CPO/Maintenance Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 03:46 PM
Protocav
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default CPO/Maintenance Question

Is anyone 100% clear on the required maintenance rules for a CPO'ed vehicle? My CPO booklet says that for the vehicle to remain in CPO status, it must be maintained at the proper intervals listed in the Porsche maintenance booklet.

Fair enough...

What I would like to know is if I am allowed to do this work myself? If I save all of my reciepts for materials, and document my maintenance, will I still be in compliance?

Thanks
Old 03-05-2013, 03:55 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Protocav
Is anyone 100% clear on the required maintenance rules for a CPO'ed vehicle? My CPO booklet says that for the vehicle to remain in CPO status, it must be maintained at the proper intervals listed in the Porsche maintenance booklet.

Fair enough...

What I would like to know is if I am allowed to do this work myself? If I save all of my reciepts for materials, and document my maintenance, will I still be in compliance?

Thanks
I think you should be OK with doing simple fluid changes and rotor/pad swap. I dont think major things can go wrong on .2 GT3. Youve done the 5 lug right (from your post) so you should have no worries =)
Old 03-05-2013, 04:02 PM
Protocav
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I'm more curious about oil changes. I would like to do them more frequently than the service manual suggests, but at $300 a pop from the dealership, I am going to have to find a second job.

I think the materials for an oil change are only half that, so I essentially just want to save the Porsche labor rate.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:16 PM
flyingpenguin
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See here:
http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles...ne-maintenance

Pretty conclusive, so I think your question above can be answered in the affirmative.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:29 PM
Protocav
Rennlist Member

Very helpful, thanks all. If there is anyone out there that has done their own maintenance, and has been denied service under warranty because of this, I would certainly love to hear about it.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:32 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Do just about all my maintenance and leave the heavy lifting stuff to the dealer. I have never been questioned about my service intervals when I have had a CPO claim. As the penguin posted, it is pretty clear that it is against the law for a dealer to require you to use them to keep your warranty valid.

I keep all my service documented with dates, amounts, product, etc.. I also keep receipts for proof of purchase of said materials.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:42 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

One thing to keep in mind when doing it yourself:

There is nothing stopping a dealer from claiming that you caused X damage because you did Y maintenance improperly.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:43 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
One thing to keep in mind when doing it yourself:

There is nothing stopping a dealer from claiming that you caused X damage because you did Y maintenance improperly.
Concur. Which is why you should NEVER do any of the work on your car unless you are sure you know what you are doing and that it will be done right.

Quick Reply: CPO/Maintenance Question