Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

An intro to the Supersprint GT3+RS

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 04:11 PM
Supersprint-Evolve
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An intro to the Supersprint GT3+RS

Evolve Automotive have extended their already strong relationship with Supersprint® Exhausts and we are extremely proud to announce our new department, Supersprint-Evolve.

We have a dedicated team, website, blog and Facebook page whose sole focus is on delivering a high quality service, competitive pricing and improved availability for all Supersprint® product.

About Supersprint®

Heritage
Supersprint® are a world renowned performance exhaust manufacturer based in Mantova, Italy with over 58 years in the exhaust fabrication industry and offer products for almost 450 different car models.

Quality
Their systems are all designed and built in-house, using all Italian top quality parts. They undergo rigorous development and testing both on their in-house MAHA dyno and in real world driving, conforming to ISO 9001 quality standards. Supersprint® Street products also come with strict German TÜV certification.

Range
Supersprint® offer a wide range of products with a cornerstone in the German performance car world - BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Porsche and VW. We also cover other brands such as Aston Martin, Corvette, Honda, Mitsubishi, Mazda, Nissan, Subaru, Toyota and of course being an Italian company we also offer a wide range of products for Italian supercars - from the Ferrari 458 Italia to the Lamborghini Gallardo.

Products
The Supersprint® product is designed with an emphasis on the following:
  • Design: Sophisticated styling with an aggressive edge
  • Sound: Sporty without being offensively loud on our street systems
  • Build: Incredibly high quality, perfect fitment and longevity

Follow us on Facebook to get the latest updates!

Porsche 997 GT3 (3.6, 3.6 RS, 3.8, 3.8 RS)

The system available for the GT3 in all guises comes as a full system (headers, connecting pipes – catted or decatted - and rear muffler) or bypass kit + rear muffler.

Most systems in the market offer little in terms of power gains. The engineers at Supersprint are some of the most technically advanced in the industry and through extensive testing and experience have produced a system that releases 19.8hp with the catted version.

There are 2 options for headers. Standard and Inconel.

All Supersprint® are covered by a 36 month, unlimited mileage warranty.

The Bypass Kit

The existing tripe muffler design of the GT3 also has a pair of flapper valves, which by-pass the side mufflers, and re-route the exhaust gas directly from the cats to the main muffler, deleting the silencing effect of the side muffler completely. This happens at 4000 rpm, regardless of the engine load.
Under 4000 rpm there is no droning thanks to the effect of the side mufflers; above 4000 rpm the sound transforms to what we all recognize as the GT3 while the inside-cabin droning is rather tame and definitely tolerable.
Although the DB output is extremely high, the wave frequency at high rpm is less disturbing to the drivers' and passengers' ears.
Many owners do one simple mod initially; to remove the side mufflers (and their flapper valves), retaining the main, mid muffler only. This can be done via a rather inexpensive kit we supply in our GT3 program (part # 244613 + # 244643).
With this modification, the stock headers & CATs remain in place working in direct conjunction with the stock main center muffler only.
The sound above 4000 is the same as with the stock exhaust configuration, while under 4000, it grows and becomes so bad that the inside-cabin droning can become unbearable.
On some race circuits where the sound is measured under full acceleration (not the usual, stationary test at 3800 rpm), all of the 997 GT3s, stock or modified, are rejected just like the stock Ferrari 458 is - because they are too loud.
The Supersprint® main muffler solves this problem once for all as it has been designed with a built-in Helmoltz resonator which makes it quieter than the stock main muffler by a substantial amount.
This inner design of the main muffler makes the Supersprint® full headers system compliant with the sound regulations (when the drive-by sound test is done), at all of these selective racetracks.
It can be used with either the full SS system, or with the stock manifolds & CATs. It is FIA compliant, under both of the configurations.
Our full exhaust is the perfect choice for the track-oriented GT3 owner, in terms of performance, and also with regards to sound while the rear muffler alone, when used with the stock headers, does not add any HP but makes the car legal at the race track.

View some our videos:

Here at Supersprint-Evolve we aim to give you the best pricing and service on these exclusive parts. PM for pricing or email paul@supersprint-evolve.com

Old 03-08-2013, 08:34 AM
Supersprint-Evolve
Former Vendor

UPDATE: We now offer this exhaust with OBD-II compliant 200 cpsi HJS cats for those that request it
Old 03-08-2013, 10:30 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A uniquely designed, well engineered system that (unlike anything else out there) makes power and (more importantly) torque across the *entire* powerband. Easy to install. Sounds great. I personally installed this exact system on my GT3RS 4.0 and was very happy with it.

The magic is in the headers and cats so this is for those who are serious about performance results and not just to impress your Cars n Coffee pals with increased noise and nothing else.

An independent review from a happy customer.
Attached Images   
Old 03-08-2013, 01:19 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

Looks like a roughly similar design to the factory RSR setup and the AWE system. It's probably one of the best designs!
Old 03-08-2013, 01:32 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
A uniquely designed, well engineered system that (unlike anything else out there) makes power and (more importantly) torque across the *entire* powerband. Easy to install. Sounds great. I personally installed this exact system on my GT3RS 4.0 and was very happy with it.

The magic is in the headers and cats so this is for those who are serious about performance results and not just to impress your Cars n Coffee pals with increased noise and nothing else.

An independent review from a happy customer.
Did you dyno before and after the SS exhaust? I have always had great luck with SuperSprint on BMWs making power over any other exhaust offered and would be interested in seeing if the same applies to Porsches.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:40 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Savy can you speak to the sound level at all? This part has my interest due to db limits at my local track:

"The Supersprint® main muffler solves this problem once for all as it has been designed with a built-in Helmoltz resonator which makes it quieter than the stock main muffler by a substantial amount.
This inner design of the main muffler makes the Supersprint® full headers system compliant with the sound regulations (when the drive-by sound test is done), at all of these selective racetracks."
Old 03-08-2013, 03:52 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenner
Savy can you speak to the sound level at all? This part has my interest due to db limits at my local track:

"The Supersprint® main muffler solves this problem once for all as it has been designed with a built-in Helmoltz resonator which makes it quieter than the stock main muffler by a substantial amount.
This inner design of the main muffler makes the Supersprint® full headers system compliant with the sound regulations (when the drive-by sound test is done), at all of these selective racetracks."
Yeah, that caught my eye too. A guarantee that it will pass sound at Laguna would be awesome.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:08 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Did you dyno before and after the SS exhaust? I have always had great luck with SuperSprint on BMWs making power over any other exhaust offered and would be interested in seeing if the same applies to Porsches.
I did not, but the butt dyno said - "No Doubt". Much more elastic powerband on an already great engine. I always question manufacturer claims and dyno charts, but not this one.

Originally Posted by Jenner

I spec'ed 100 cell cats (louder than 200 and a huge degree louder from the 400 cell OE). It would not have passed at Laguna, probably even at idle I can't speak to the cat back system they offer and if it would pass sound, but in my mind, why bother if it doesn't make power.

If I had to guess, I'd say it was about the same db at WOT as Akrapovic valved system with 200 cell cats, maybe 105db at 50'? I'm sure the OP can give you a more definitive answer.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:43 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Any drone with this system?
Old 03-08-2013, 08:37 PM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's a bit of info from the head of R&D at Supersprint. I know the guys at Evolve and have asked this question. I'll help Paul out and post this...

The case of the GT3 owners, who drive their car mainly on the roads, is rather different.
With the Supersprnt full system, due to the elimination of the side mufflers, the sound under 4000 rpm is more pronounced than with the stock exhaust, and it shows some droning.
Normally, this is well tolerated, based upon our experience.
We only have had one complaint, so far.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:12 PM
Supersprint-Evolve
Former Vendor

Thanks Jamie - yes adfsouth, like most when you increase the sound overall at that RPM there's a bit more than normal but not too intrusive compared to the overall beauty of what sounds now come out of it!
Old 03-09-2013, 10:13 PM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Sal (?)

Have you tried this system with cat deletes and tune, I would be interested to know more.

Please PM me a price.

Thanks
Jay
Old 03-09-2013, 10:33 PM
a_Y
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

it sounds very good in those videos i must say.

can i ask what benefits do we get from inconel over the stainless steel version of the headers?
Old 03-09-2013, 11:08 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ur20v
Hi Sal (?)

Have you tried this system with cat deletes and tune, I would be interested to know more.

Please PM me a price.

Thanks
Jay
I would strongly urge cat delete only for a 100% track car. It would be unbearable for the vast majority of folks and probably damage your hearing

My 100 cell cat system was really loud. Had FVD Brombacher tune which felt good to me and kept the CEL off. May not be able to extinguish CEL on a cat-less. Food for thought.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:49 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

wow.... dilemmas. Stroke the E90 to 515hp, or add headers to the GT....same price

Quick Reply: An intro to the Supersprint GT3+RS