Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

PCCB to steel conversion on 3-4 cars

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 06:33 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default PCCB to steel conversion on 3-4 cars

So me and 2, possibly 3 other guys in the bay area are looking to packaging together a buy to convert all of our PCCB rotors to steel for track use.

I'm opening up a thread here to get everyone's thoughts on options. Let's talk about each car:

997.2 GT3. Car will be running 18" HRE with Hoosiers. Please tell me if these replacement options (rotor and pads) are correct:
1) OEM GT3 steel front and OEM GT3 or turbo rear - PFC pad or pagid compatible
2) PFC front and OEM GT3 or Turbo rear - PFC pad compatible only
3) Girodisc front and rear - pagid compatible only
4) cup rotors?

997.2 Turbo S (centerlocks)
1) OEM turbo steel front/rear - pagid or PFC pad
2) girodisc front rear - pagid only

Boxster spyder
1) girodisc front/rear - PFC pad, endless me20, and Pagid compatible

Are these options/assumptions correct? What would you recommend? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-22-2013, 08:47 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is rennlist -- you are going to get PFC'd to death

:-)
Old 02-22-2013, 08:54 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 02-22-2013, 09:10 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Re: the 997.2, you failed to include the Brembo type III rotors. For all these 2pc rotors (Brembo, PFC, GiroDisc) you can run other pads besides PFC. For the most part, you can order a Cup pad fitment, or you can get out a grinder and remove a small amount of material on the backing plate to insure the front pads don't interfere with the rotor and/or rotor hardware. Pagid actually has a p/n (or a dash number) for a 2pc rotor so the pad fits w/o modification in the OE caliper.

I used up many sets of OE rotors. Not worth it IMHO. Violet has GiroDisc on all four corners.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:36 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
So me and 2, possibly 3 other guys in the bay area are looking to packaging together a buy to convert all of our PCCB rotors to steel for track use.

I'm opening up a thread here to get everyone's thoughts on options. Let's talk about each car:

997.2 GT3. Car will be running 18" HRE with Hoosiers. Please tell me if these replacement options (rotor and pads) are correct:
4) cup rotors?

997.2 Turbo S (centerlocks)
1) OEM turbo steel front/rear - pagid or PFC pad
2) girodisc front rear - pagid only

Boxster spyder
1) girodisc front/rear - PFC pad, endless me20, and Pagid compatible

Are these options/assumptions correct? What would you recommend? Thanks in advance!
Joe if you don't mind I'm adding my details as I'm one of 4 guys interested.

997.1 TT with PCCB
1. Girodisc front rear with Pagid
2. PFC front, Turbo OEM rear
Old 02-22-2013, 09:45 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Re: the 997.2, you failed to include the Brembo type III rotors. For all these 2pc rotors (Brembo, PFC, GiroDisc) you can run other pads besides PFC. For the most part, you can order a Cup pad fitment, or you can get out a grinder and remove a small amount of material on the backing plate to insure the front pads don't interfere with the rotor and/or rotor hardware. Pagid actually has a p/n (or a dash number) for a 2pc rotor so the pad fits w/o modification in the OE caliper.

I used up many sets of OE rotors. Not worth it IMHO. Violet has GiroDisc on all four corners.
Thanks, man! Which pads are you using on your girodiscs? I was under the impression that PFC pads could not be used on centerlock girodisc rotors?

Originally Posted by eurotom
Joe if you don't mind I'm adding my details as I'm one of 4 guys interested.

997.1 TT with PCCB
1. Girodisc front rear with Pagid
2. PFC front, Turbo OEM rear
Thanks for posting. I was going to ask which version TT you had.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:07 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
this is rennlist -- you are going to get PFC'd to death

Old 02-22-2013, 11:06 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

4) cup rotors?

Hey Orthojoe,

Regarding the 997.2 gt3:

- The cup rotors will not work. The holes where the drive pins fit are about 1mm too large therefore the street car drive pins would move around.

- with the PFC option, there are 2 options for rotors. The dimpled rotors have a swept depth of 66mm and will accept pfc, pagid and oem pads without a problem. I run these and the work great. Then there are the slotted rotors with a swept depth of 60mm that require a narrow pfc pad and I believe will accept the narrower pagid pads althought you'd need to confirm this.

- oem rears are long lasting and fine, the oem fronts are not long lasting... After 1500 track kms mine would have 10mm cracks in them (porsche allow up to 7mm cracks), the pfcs have already hit almost 2500 track kms in the past 12 months with no signs of problems beyond minor surface cracking...
Old 02-22-2013, 11:14 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks, man! Which pads are you using on your girodiscs? I was under the impression that PFC pads could not be used on centerlock girodisc rotors?
I've currently got Pagids on the car (great for a few track days, then fall off a cliff at half life). In a week or two, I'll have PFCs on the car - same as Mooty. I was hoping to run Endless, but I was not able to source them. BR is the only shop I know in the local area that carries them.

You should also look into Brembo/Race Technologies. They've introduced some new product recently. They may have a pad that works for your application.

BTW: I converted Violet to 5-lug. There is no issue with using "OE" fitment rotors for a stock 997.2 (CL) and then converting to 5-lug.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:47 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 911rox
Hey Orthojoe,

Regarding the 997.2 gt3:

- The cup rotors will not work. The holes where the drive pins fit are about 1mm too large therefore the street car drive pins would move around.

- with the PFC option, there are 2 options for rotors. The dimpled rotors have a swept depth of 66mm and will accept pfc, pagid and oem pads without a problem. I run these and the work great. Then there are the slotted rotors with a swept depth of 60mm that require a narrow pfc pad and I believe will accept the narrower pagid pads althought you'd need to confirm this.

- oem rears are long lasting and fine, the oem fronts are not long lasting... After 1500 track kms mine would have 10mm cracks in them (porsche allow up to 7mm cracks), the pfcs have already hit almost 2500 track kms in the past 12 months with no signs of problems beyond minor surface cracking...
Great info. Thanks.

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
I've currently got Pagids on the car (great for a few track days, then fall off a cliff at half life). In a week or two, I'll have PFCs on the car - same as Mooty.
Yeah, I've heard many people say the same thing about Pagids, so I'd like to be able to run PFC08s on all of the cars mentioned above. However, I've been told that the centerlock Girodisc rotors are not compatible with PFC pads. If you find that you are able to run PFC pads on your girodisc rotors, please let me know. Thanks!
Old 02-23-2013, 04:23 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

GT3/GT3RS
PFC front and Turbo rear - PFC 08 pad
Old 02-23-2013, 09:17 AM
ncgt3
Advanced

Default 997.3 gt3 - stoptechs w/ endless pads

997.3 gt3 - stoptech rotors & hats w/ endless pads that are used in my pccb calipers. got em from Allen at GMG in so cal (I'm in NC). extremely happy w/ the setup.

GMG is the the real deal for GT3s and Allen has been extremely helpful.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:31 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
GT3/GT3RS
PFC front and Turbo rear - PFC 08 pad
^ this + set up a group buy from Eddie @ RPW since there are 4 of you.

Just completed this same PCCB to steel conversion myself with parts from Eddie:
PFC slotted floating 380mm front rotors, PFC08 pads, wheel studs and caliper studs:

Test fitting my Fikse 18" wheels:

Don't have a picture but 350mm Turbo rotors in the rear with PFC08 pads, wheel studs, caliper studs and rear brake ducts from the .2

VERY happy with the result!
Old 02-23-2013, 10:00 AM
Eddie - RPW
Banned

I'll be more than happy to assist you guys with the conversion, and a group buy.
Jenner, tks for the props !
Looks nice and shinny
Old 02-23-2013, 10:02 AM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Am in the process of making the PFC/turbo switch with stuff bought from Eddie at RPW also. In no hurry as the snow just keeps coming.

Quick Reply: PCCB to steel conversion on 3-4 cars