Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

991 GT3 engine & Cup Mezger

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 01:36 AM
Polesitter
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991 GT3 engine & Cup Mezger

I'm a bit confused by the timing and application of the new (assuming recent posts are correct) 991 GT3 motor. Porsche announced the new 991 cup car with the same Mezger 3.8 as the 997 cup. I assume they will not switch to the new 991 motor in the new cup. If they do, they would have to run the Mezger in the 2013 991 cups running in Supercup only, then switch to the new motor before mainstream cup deliveries in 2014. This seems relatively unlikely. Alternatively, if cup deliveries in 2015 or 2016 switch away from the Mezger, Porsche will have already populated the paddock with a large base of Mezger 991s and will have to create another class very quickly, shortening the competitive life cycle of the Mezger 991 cups to create the new motor in the 991 cups. This also seems unlikely based on typical 3 plus year cup upgrade cycles.

So, what are they gonna do ?
Old 02-21-2013, 06:22 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am also wondering why Porsche would just develop a new flat-6 engine for a low few thousands cars (GT3/RS+Cup) for near future, while it is also developing a new flat-8 architecture (with 3,000 to 4,000 engines prodution per year in plan) that will come out in three or four years.

The flat-8's 3,000 to 4,000 engines per year production sounds about right to cover a thousand or so for the higher-end models (960, etc.), plus two/three thousands for the GT3/RS/Cup/RSR/etc., and with a few hunders here and there for spares or special models.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:56 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,720 Likes on 2,691 Posts

I think one possibility is that the new GT3 (and future Cup) motor as well as the Flat-8 will be developments of the 9A1 motor and not completely "clean sheet" designs...
Old 02-21-2013, 10:09 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Polesitter
I'm a bit confused by the timing and application of the new (assuming recent posts are correct) 991 GT3 motor. Porsche announced the new 991 cup car with the same Mezger 3.8 as the 997 cup. I assume they will not switch to the new 991 motor in the new cup. If they do, they would have to run the Mezger in the 2013 991 cups running in Supercup only, then switch to the new motor before mainstream cup deliveries in 2014. This seems relatively unlikely. Alternatively, if cup deliveries in 2015 or 2016 switch away from the Mezger, Porsche will have already populated the paddock with a large base of Mezger 991s and will have to create another class very quickly, shortening the competitive life cycle of the Mezger 991 cups to create the new motor in the 991 cups. This also seems unlikely based on typical 3 plus year cup upgrade cycles.

So, what are they gonna do ?
Porsche has already purchased 2 additional years of Mezger blocks to support the Cup program. They may switch for 2016, but right now they don't have the confidence in another engine to race it.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:56 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
Porsche has already purchased 2 additional years of Mezger blocks to support the Cup program. They may switch for 2016, but right now they don't have the confidence in another engine to race it.
Hi 10 GT3,

If thats really the case..you have just answerd the 1million$ dollar question..whether I think that it will be 2016..no idea..but I would have thought the same way..at least 2 more years on 991 CUP engines..if so also the 991 RSR will run the old engine..

As to the 8 Cylinder: Yes, I also think this will be the future..and there was an article in Germany that this new 8 Cylinder will be a complete new development..whatever that means..
Old 02-22-2013, 09:58 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

my guess is 9a1 will never be introduced into cup cars, ever. and street cars will never see mezger block again as well and it is probably a major event of a permanent departure of Porsche motorsports cars from what they will sell to general public under 'gt3' and 'rs' brands essentially nullifying any reason to pay extra $ for them.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:57 AM
Tim Kay
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
my guess is 9a1 will never be introduced into cup cars, ever. and street cars will never see mezger block again as well and it is probably a major event of a permanent departure of Porsche motorsports cars from what they will sell to general public under 'gt3' and 'rs' brands essentially nullifying any reason to pay extra $ for them.
Well put, one of the most plausible and comprehensive statements I've read on this subject. Especially in light of what I just recently read regarding the "all new" motor the GT3 is receiving, (New 991 GT3 thread, quote: Yes, it's not the DFI 9A1 and it's not the Mezger. It's a new engine! :end quote)
Interesting times!
Old 02-22-2013, 12:48 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

time will tell. if they will make new 8cyl flat powerplant it would be awesome.
but realistically all new designs they make are less and less servicable, 9a1 has some glued elements in it that makes it very difficult torepair, PDK as of right now is also not servicable, i do not know how good all that may work on a track car that has to be taken apart quite often.
obviously it would not matter less for a street car but track car is a different deal. what i like about my car is what i can take apart pretty much anything i want and there is great supply of mechanics in nearby race shops to tackle any issue. more complicated contraptions and non-servicable parts is the least thing i would want to see in this car, it is complicated enough as it is.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:19 AM
Polesitter
Rennlist Member

It seems like the consensus is the new 991 gt3 production motor won't see the light of day as a cup motor anytime soon. The Mezger soldiers on....like all warriors do.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 engine & Cup Mezger