Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Norcal HOD DE Thunderhill 2/16

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 08:41 PM
entityx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a video of my fastest lap. Based on the times everyone is throwing out, I have a long way to go. Can't wait to practice some more!

Old 02-26-2013, 12:04 AM
bensf
Racer

Originally Posted by medpilot105
Had the pleasure to meet bensf this past Friday at Sonoma. Great guy and hustles a Boxster Spyder like a fiend. Hope to see you on 3/17 at T-hill!
Really nice meeting you and your friends and hanging out. Outstanding drivers and an awesome collection of GT3's. Unfortunately it looks like I'll be at Thill the 15th and 16th but not the 17th Hope to meet up at another track event
Old 02-26-2013, 01:35 AM
medpilot105
Instructor

Originally Posted by entityx
Here's a video of my fastest lap. Based on the times everyone is throwing out, I have a long way to go. Can't wait to practice some more!

Well done! For your first DE, you clearly have the right idea. Driving line is shaping up, car looked smooth and sounded great! Hope it was as much fun as you were hoping. And, don't let those pesky Corvettes hold you up.

Originally Posted by bensf
Really nice meeting you and your friends and hanging out. Outstanding drivers and an awesome collection of GT3's. Unfortunately it looks like I'll be at Thill the 15th and 16th but not the 17th Hope to meet up at another track event
I'm trying to see about getting the 16th off from work, as well. Too many RL'ers are going to be there so, missing out would be a shame. Hope it works out!
Old 02-26-2013, 10:27 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

You are coasting into every braking zone. That's killing you more than anything else. Also, you need to track out completely. You leave a meter or more at every corner. Might as well take every millimeter of track - you paid for it!

If you are up at TH the weekend of March 15th, come jump in one of the NorCal GT3 DE Cup cars. Riding shotgun will open your eyes.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:05 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
You are coasting into every braking zone. That's killing you more than anything else. Also, you need to track out completely. You leave a meter or more at every corner. Might as well take every millimeter of track - you paid for it!

If you are up at TH the weekend of March 15th, come jump in one of the NorCal GT3 DE Cup cars. Riding shotgun will open your eyes.
That's what Mooty should have been doing when his 3.8 rs was set up for maximum understeer!!! He was definitely using/hogging the whole track!!! Being your 1st de I say u did well. You were definitely coasting before the brake zone like 24 chromium says but it's good you err on the side of safety and left some available track. Mike
Old 02-26-2013, 01:42 PM
entityx
Racer

Well done! For your first DE, you clearly have the right idea. Driving line is shaping up, car looked smooth and sounded great! Hope it was as much fun as you were hoping. And, don't let those pesky Corvettes hold you up.

Originally Posted by 24Chromium

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Being your 1st de I say u did well. You were definitely coasting before the brake zone like 24 chromium says but it's good you err on the side of safety and left some available track. Mike
Thanks for all the feedback guys. My line definitely needs work. My instructor didn't want me trail braking until I got more familiar with the track. Next time I'm going to push it a little more but will stay with group A for at least one more event.

I'm still trying to figure out my schedule and hope to be at TH on 3/16, possibly 3/17 as well.

Quick follow-up question: how long did it take for you to learn to drive with TC off? I'm probably not going to turn it off until I have at least a couple more track days under my belt.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:50 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

Congrats!

Take your time and enjoy the progress.

Get inch perfect on the track, build up braking slowly weekend after weekend, keep working on smooth pedals and watch your laptime drop all by itself :-)

Than get a coach as soon as you are signed off solo.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:52 PM
bensf
Racer

Good job on your first time out. As TRAKCAR said have fun work on your lines and braking. Laptime will take care of itself.

I'm trying to see about getting the 16th off from work, as well. Too many RL'ers are going to be there so, missing out would be a shame. Hope it works out!
Hope to see you there.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:57 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

^were u in San Francisco down California st heading west turning rt on filmore st with top down about an hour ago? Mike
Old 02-26-2013, 08:22 PM
bensf
Racer

^were u in San Francisco down California st heading west turning rt on filmore st with top down about an hour ago? Mike
Yes, where were you?
Old 02-26-2013, 09:13 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Small world I was heading down California st heading home in my red smart car and saw a spyder ahead. Kinda rare to see one in blue : ). U live in the city? Mike
Old 02-26-2013, 09:50 PM
bensf
Racer

Small world I was heading down California st heading home in my red smart car and saw a spyder ahead. Kinda rare to see one in blue : ). U live in the city? Mike
Definitely a small world. You may not remember but I ran into you last year at Sonnen as well. Yes, I live in the City.

Speaking of small world, I'm positive I saw the OP entityx heading 101 northbound last Thurs. evening.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:45 AM
entityx
Racer

Originally Posted by bensf
Speaking of small world, I'm positive I saw the OP entityx heading 101 northbound last Thurs. evening.
Yup, that was me. I live in the city and commute to San Mateo, so I'm up and down the 101 at least 5 days a week.

Quick Reply: Norcal HOD DE Thunderhill 2/16