Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

.1 GT3 suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013 | 04:09 PM
Einmalig
Rennlist Member

Default .1 GT3 suspension questions

Hi Guys,

Hoping to gain some insight into my .1 GT3's suspension, ride height and PASM functionality.

I recently purchased an '07 GT3 which appears to be completely stock with the exception of its somewhat reduced ride height. A PPI confirmed that the PASM system is fully intact and functional, but their was some uncertainty as to the originality of the car's springs?

I have since confirmed that the springs are H&R and carry part number 997.333.531.93 with a manufacturing date of 12/06. With a Porsche part number and a date which logically precedes my GT3's production date, I now have reason to believe that my car does have its original H&R sourced springs.

That said, some comments and a few questions...

Although I do not know the current ride height setting, I can confirm that the the distance from the bottom of my front splitter to level pavement is 3 3/4 inches and that the gap from the tops of each tire are about 1 inch or 1 level finger from the lip of each quarter panel. Sorry I can't be more precise.

Also, I have had no major issues with scraping on driveways or ramps as long as I approach at an angle as you would in any other sports car.

1. Assuming a fully stock suspension, albeit with its original ride height reduced, subjectively, how much differently does the car ride vs. a car set at its standard ride height?

Less compliant? More nervous? No real difference? Other?

2. When I select PASM Sport Mode, the LED activates and panel displays "sport" as designed, but the change in damping/ride quality/dynamics is virtually indistinguishable from the "normal" mode. Is the difference between the modes normally this subtle or has the reduced ride height of my car effectively minimized the PASM's range of damping to the degree that I can no longer distinguish between the two modes?

3. I am questioning if I should bother with raising the ride height to standard and re-aligning to benefit from any potential improvement in ride quality and PASM functionality? Based on the fact that my car is only driven on the street, do you think there would there be any real benefit to doing this and if so, would there be any impact, positively or negatively in the car's handling characteristics on the street.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate all your knowledgeable suggestions.
Old 02-06-2013 | 04:41 PM
Fisher
Pro

Just measured my 7.1 GT3 and verified, exactly:

"the distance from the bottom of my front splitter to level pavement is 3 3/4 inches"

It's the nature of the beast. Sometimes a good approach angle isn't possible. That's what makes the spoiler a normal wear item. Besides, a scrape now and again tells me to slow it down. It's just too much fun to drive too fast.
Old 02-06-2013 | 05:04 PM
Einmalig
Rennlist Member

Thanks grizfish,

So are you saying that your car's ride height is at the standard factory ride height?

If so, is there any perceptible change in your car's ride quality when PASM Sport is activated?

Thanks
Old 02-06-2013 | 05:10 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Since you just recently purchased the car, there is probably a lot going on in your mind to potentially feel the difference between Normal and Sport Dampening modes. It is not dramatic but it definitely can be felt - especially on non-smooth surfaces. The Firm setting only works on very smooth roads.

If you aren't having driveway issues just leave it.

You are not going to feel any difference if the car is raised 1 inch - none. If you need it for your neighborhood go ahead and raise the car.

Last edited by 997gt3north; 02-06-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-06-2013 | 05:13 PM
Doublej
Racer

I think it's noticeably rougher on the street with PASM in sport
Old 02-06-2013 | 06:06 PM
Einmalig
Rennlist Member

I previously owned a C2S and a C4S Coupe (both standard ride height) and the difference was subtle but definitely noticeable when in PASM "Sport" mode. This made me question if the adjustability of the GT3's ride height has any impact on the PASM system.

I'm no engineer, but logic dictates that a lower ride height could equate to reduced suspension travel and therefore a reduced range of useful adjustment from the PASM system, potentially rendering the difference between PASM "normal" and "sport" to be insignificant or even indistinguishable.

Thoughts?
Old 02-06-2013 | 06:32 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Keep this in mind(from the GT3 manual):
"The variable suspension system selects the appropriate damping level for each wheel according to the situation and conditions of driving.
Example:
If the vehicle is driven in a very sporty manner in Normal mode, PASM automatically adapts the shock-absorber behavior to the driving situation accordingly."

In fewer words "Normal mode" can act like "Sport mode" all on it's own.

Given the GT3s higher performance suspension and adjustable ride height there is less room to notice the difference. With the softer base 911 suspension and higher ride height you had in the C2S and C4S it was able to make a larger difference which was more easily noticed.
Old 02-06-2013 | 06:35 PM
Thork'sGT3
Instructor

Because you are lowering or raising the car with the adjustment of the lower spring collars you are not effectively changing the spring rate or ride quality at all. I myself do not notice much difference when I switch to sport mode while driving on the street. On the track it is a different story.
And like 97GT stated the sport mode really only works on smooth surfaces, as the rebound on the shock goes up when sport mode is on IMHO.
Old 02-06-2013 | 07:46 PM
Einmalig
Rennlist Member

Thanks for your explanations...

Assuming that my car is not at stock ride height (not really sure), it sounds like there is nothing to be gained (other than ground clearance) by raising the ride height to stock, because PASM is constantly adapting the ride in either "normal" or "sport" mode, effectively equalizing any noticeable difference on most public roads.
Old 02-06-2013 | 08:44 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

at stock ride height the car will pretty much scrape the nose all around town....

the sport button will stiffen the ride, but not a whole lot. If the suspension is indeed lowered then it will stiffen up the ride in any mode to the point that the sport mode my not be so obvious.

My car is at Euro ride height which is lower then North American delivery standards. It looks better IMHO and with my track settings it is a nice liveable height.

Best bet is see the dealer and get a stock ride height and wheel alignment job completed.
Old 02-08-2013 | 12:44 AM
HarmonyJim
Rennlist Member

tcsracing1, I just received my full RSS Tarmac kit incl all 4 LCAs, and all front & rear links, as well as the engine mounts (awaiting urethane transmission mount bushings - 75a density). I wanted to drop my .1 RS (orange like yours) to European ride height also. Do you find the ride height acceptable for street use (as that is the only place where mine goes)? I agree it looks better with just that 10mm difference. I have MPSS in standard sizes mounted - any problem with that exact tire as it isn't the OEM Cup tires? Thanks for the advise.
Old 02-08-2013 | 12:59 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

What's Euro ride height? All of my docs say that the GT3 was supposed to be delivered at the same height everywhere in the world. Having said that, I've seen two new cars ready for delivery with clearly different ride heights (10mm).
Old 02-08-2013 | 09:49 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Originally Posted by HarmonyJim
I have MPSS in standard sizes mounted - any problem with that exact tire as it isn't the OEM Cup tires? Thanks for the advise.
If you have the 235/35/19 front mpss it is no problem dropping the front 10mm - if you have the 245/35/19 then a 10mm drop will cause a rub when you hit a big bump - but on the track during cornering it will still be fine.

Since you are doing all the RSS stuff, I would highly recommend that you take the opportunity to slightly increase the spring rates - the shocks can handle a slight increase. If you up the front to 300# and the rear to 700# (OE is #230/#600) using the Tarret Engineering rear spring hat you will be very happy with the outcome.

You need this part from Tarrett to fit a standard 60mm spring as the OE spring is a non-standard size

http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997-...-60-detail.htm

I have done this but had my shocks re-valved as I went with higher spring rates, but fellow rennlister MVEZ has done a 350/750 (check with him) on the OE shocks and likes it.
Old 02-08-2013 | 09:59 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HarmonyJim
tcsracing1, I just received my full RSS Tarmac kit incl all 4 LCAs, and all front & rear links, as well as the engine mounts (awaiting urethane transmission mount bushings - 75a density). I wanted to drop my .1 RS (orange like yours) to European ride height also. Do you find the ride height acceptable for street use (as that is the only place where mine goes)? I agree it looks better with just that 10mm difference. I have MPSS in standard sizes mounted - any problem with that exact tire as it isn't the OEM Cup tires? Thanks for the advise.
For street, any increase in height is always a good thing. One can live with Euro ride height on the street but you are better off at stock ride height for that little extra it gives you.
Of course, this also depends where you live. If you live somewhere that is flat and no hurricane drains then Euro height is great.
(My car is in Florida and other then taking my drive way side on for entry and exit it is not so bad)

I too have MPSS in standard sizes. No problems and highly recommend them.
Old 02-08-2013 | 10:05 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fc-racer
What's Euro ride height? All of my docs say that the GT3 was supposed to be delivered at the same height everywhere in the world. Having said that, I've seen two new cars ready for delivery with clearly different ride heights (10mm).
Typically the European spec cars are lower then the North American spec cars for what ever reason.

What is interesting is that the North American car suspensions are not only higher but they all over the place with no rhyme or reason when they arrive at the dealerships.
They are far from perfect when they come off the boat.
(This could be isolated too the 997.1 series however.)

Quick Reply: .1 GT3 suspension questions