Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 with replaced engine, would you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 11:34 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

I'm just curious,in the case of a Porsche replacement engine,do they send out the complete engine with intake and everything(and I mean alternator,power steering pump,hoses,connection/fittings,lines etc),so you just drop the engine and tranny from the mounts as one piece OR they send out the core(crankcase and heads,of course with timing chains etc) and you swap out the rest from the old one?
Because if they do it as a core,which I highly doubt,I wouldn't trust it,unless it's a really good price or the job has been done by a very good Porsche technician. And even so,things can go wrong(there are thousands of bits and pieces that need to come together the correct way,especially on a high performance Porsche engine) and if you'll have vacuum,coolant leaks or any other problems,at least you can go back to the dealer as opposed to John Doe in the corner shop.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:02 PM
fivetwozero
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as dealer performed the job, I don't see the reason why not
Old 03-05-2013, 01:02 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a leverage for you on price but if I liked the car it would not bother me. My 996GT3 was a press car that left the tract at VIR- $30K of bodywork later I bought the car as new but $79K new money factory new car warranty and CPO. I was perfect for me and 65,000 miles later not a single issue.

Originally Posted by Arth
Hey there guys.

A little bit about myself. Im 31, single and am looking to get back into a porsche. namely a .2 GT3 2010.

previous cars were a BMW E46 M3, nissan 350Z, Porsche cayman S PDK, and currently a Audi R8 V8.

i've been on the lookout for a .2 GT3 over the last couple of months, and thought i had finally found the one. Until the owner sent over the vin number and I checked it with my local dealer.

Everything turned out to be perfect except for the fact that it had an engine change due to the previous owner missing a shift and blowing up the engine. Everything was replaced at porsche and it is under warranty.

My question is, if you had found the perfect car for you but you found out that the engine had been replaced would you buy it or wait it out?

car only had 15k Km on it and the engine was replaced at around 5k.

new tires/pccb's still in great condition, been tracked twice and very gently.

Porsche GT3 with the follolwing options
A1 Exterior Colour White
79 Interior Colour Black leather interior - Clubsport
603 Exterior Dynamic cornering lights
450 Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB)
430 Wheels 19-inch GT3 wheel with center lock
XD9 Wheels painted in exterior colour
003 Interior Club sports package
XSX Seat belts in Guards Red Exclusive
CLE Alcantara interior Trim strip switch panel Alcantara

Thanks for you advise in advance

Arth
Old 03-05-2013, 01:04 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche sends the whole thing. I had 996 C2 replacement and a P4S replacement. My brother in law was getting a new 997 engine and Porsche sent the wrong motor- a complete GT3RS!! miss labeled crate. No they did not let him keep it.

Originally Posted by neanicu
I'm just curious,in the case of a Porsche replacement engine,do they send out the complete engine with intake and everything(and I mean alternator,power steering pump,hoses,connection/fittings,lines etc),so you just drop the engine and tranny from the mounts as one piece OR they send out the core(crankcase and heads,of course with timing chains etc) and you swap out the rest from the old one?
Because if they do it as a core,which I highly doubt,I wouldn't trust it,unless it's a really good price or the job has been done by a very good Porsche technician. And even so,things can go wrong(there are thousands of bits and pieces that need to come together the correct way,especially on a high performance Porsche engine) and if you'll have vacuum,coolant leaks or any other problems,at least you can go back to the dealer as opposed to John Doe in the corner shop.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:40 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
Porsche sends the whole thing. I had 996 C2 replacement and a P4S replacement. My brother in law was getting a new 997 engine and Porsche sent the wrong motor- a complete GT3RS!! miss labeled crate. No they did not let him keep it.
Thanks.
That would've been the deal of the year!
Old 03-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Bullitt44
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Buy it.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:30 AM
DocHW
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but does anyone know if porsche also does an ECU reset so that operating hours are back at 0 and overrev data is gone?
Old 05-01-2016, 08:37 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 104 Posts

They do not.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:01 AM
DocHW
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks,
Wanted to know to determine if overrevs could be with the previous engine, if time of the overrevs is plausible within mileage the replacement took place.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:40 AM
tgil
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds like a great way for a 31 year old to get into a .2 GT3. How about an independant PPI if possible where you live, or at least an older experienced performance car or better yet Porche mechanically inclined enthusiast to double check all the other key engine and drive train parts.
Good luck with your purchase.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:34 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by tgil
Sounds like a great way for a 31 year old to get into a .2 GT3. How about an independant PPI if possible where you live, or at least an older experienced performance car or better yet Porche mechanically inclined enthusiast to double check all the other key engine and drive train parts.
Good luck with your purchase.
+1
A compression and leakdown test would be valuable if you have any hesitation, should be much less than a day of labor and would also add to convincing a buyer when you go to sell.

Quick Reply: GT3 with replaced engine, would you buy?