Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

991 Cup uses Mezger and Hydraulic Steering

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 03:15 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
Baawahhhh. As busy as you're going to be in that new ride, please insure that you have Advil in your overnight kit.

Once again, you may thank me later.
learned this on my last visit to the karting track...
Old 01-31-2013, 05:06 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by fbirch
Looks as if Nissan and Hitachi are making electro hydraulic power steering (EHPS) units right now:

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECH...IEW/ehpss.html

Hyundai is also using EHPS (scroll down the features list):

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/about-hyu...-20120613.aspx

Didn’t spend a lot of time searching, but there are probably a few others still in production. It may not exist within the supplier network that GM uses. But if a car manufacturer really wanted EHPS, given that at least a dozen different manufacturers have used this system over the recent past in some pretty low cost models, it can’t be rocket science to work with a supplier to create this capability at a reasonable cost.

I can believe that an electro-mechanical system might ultimately be cheaper by a few dollars per vehicle because it eliminates a few low-cost parts, and that it would yield a very fractional increase in fuel economy. If .1L/100KM is really the gain relative to pure hydraulics (20MPG improves to 20.16 MPG if my quick math is correct), the improvement will be even less than 0.16MPG in comparison to EHPS, probably a lot less. Those improvements may have been the basis for Porsche to adopt electro mechanical steering, or maybe it was something else entirely, such as long-term reliability, controllability, packaging, etc.
Interesting. I'm slightly skeptical, though, that Nissan and Hyundai have found the holy grail of steering with their electro-hydraulic systems, while Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, Mercedes, Corvette, and others have all missed the boat completely with electro-mechanical ones. I guess I'll have to go buy a Hyundai now to experience real steering nirvana.

Maybe Corvette couldn't find suppliers to provide parts which would allow them to build steering systems with the performance characteristics they required. Or maybe it's one or more of the other possible factors you mentioned that Porsche may have had to consider. For all we know, there might even be environmental issues around using/disposing of hydrualic fluid at an industry wide level. Regardless, I have a feeling that it's not as simple as some bean counter deciding, "Hey, let's go cheap and **** off a segment of our customer base by changing the steering in the 911".
Old 01-31-2013, 06:39 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Interesting. I'm slightly skeptical, though, that Nissan and Hyundai have found the holy grail of steering with their electro-hydraulic systems, while Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, Mercedes, Corvette, and others have all missed the boat completely with electro-mechanical ones. I guess I'll have to go buy a Hyundai now to experience real steering nirvana.
Or you could just buy a brand new 991 Cup from Porsche’s motorsports division and experience it that way

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Maybe Corvette couldn't find suppliers to provide parts which would allow them to build steering systems with the performance characteristics they required. Or maybe it's one or more of the other possible factors you mentioned that Porsche may have had to consider. For all we know, there might even be environmental issues around using/disposing of hydrualic fluid at an industry wide level. Regardless, I have a feeling that it's not as simple as some bean counter deciding, "Hey, let's go cheap and **** off a segment of our customer base by changing the steering in the 911".
If I had to guess a reason, I’d say controllability via electronic input. Most of the older EHPS units were designed to simply provide boost to whatever control input the driver was already applying. From the bits and pieces that I’ve read, it sounds as if this new generation of EM steering systems not only applies boost to user inputs, but also accepts inputs from stability control algorithms that go above and beyond driver inputs. For example, I’ve read that the new Porsche system is tuned to eliminate the traditional “wheel wiggle” that has been inherent in every 911 up to the 991. If so, it may mean the system is sending a continuous stream of minute steering inputs/corrections to the steering mechanism that are equal and opposite the natural motions of the wheel over imperfect road surfaces.

I could be wrong, but I suspect the new EM systems are better suited for this kind of control algorithm input in comparison to EHPS. If so, it’s no surprise you’ll see more widespread use of EM steering as all modern vehicles move toward higher degrees of computer control.

Last edited by fbirch; 01-31-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:24 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I could be wrong, but I suspect the new EM systems are better suited for this kind of control algorithm input in comparison to EHPS. If so, it’s no surprise you’ll see more widespread use of EM steering as all modern vehicles move toward higher degrees of computer control.
That's definitely the dark side of the technology, AFAIC, and hope it's not a primary goal for using EM steering. When Porsche moved from manual steering, like I had on my '84 Carrera, to power assist there were those who thought proper steering feel was lost forever. As it turned out, that's no longer an issue as the negative aspects of manual steering were eliminated, while feel and feedback were retained. I guess I'm an optomist; I suspect EM systems will evolve quickly to the point where we will look back and wonder what all the fuss was about.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:58 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Mike – I don’t see any reason why a well-engineered EM steering system couldn’t be developed that had great feel. I vaguely recall that Ferrari held off for quite a while putting any power steering systems on their cars until the systems had been developed extensively enough to preserve most of the great feeling of a manual rack. I haven’t driven a 991, so I can’t comment on its feel, but I’ve read lots of passionate opinions in both directions.

BTW, I don’t consider computer intervention for the sake of safety or faster lap times to be a bad thing at all – as long as it has an “OFF” button that really means OFF But this is a separate issue from steering feel.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:45 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,018 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Mike – I don’t see any reason why a well-engineered EM steering system couldn’t be developed that had great feel. I vaguely recall that Ferrari held off for quite a while putting any power steering systems on their cars until the systems had been developed extensively enough to preserve most of the great feeling of a manual rack.
They should've waited longer, because Ferrari Power Steering is nowhere near as good as manual - very dead (try an F348 compared to F355 or 550M). Much worse than Porsche's effort. There's also no denying that 991 EM steering feels dead compared to Porsche's hydraulic system, which in turn feels dead compared to manual.

Quick Reply: 991 Cup uses Mezger and Hydraulic Steering