GMG Installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013 | 12:12 PM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Default GMG Installed

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I did the install, and took it for a test ride. WOW! This is what a Mezger is supposed to sound like.

One question for the experts. The larger diameter pipe at the tips is very close to the heat shield on the bumper cover, in fact i think it's touching. Has anyone dealt with this issue?

Is there a shield i can apply to keep it from melting? Any ideas are welcome.
Old 01-20-2013 | 12:16 PM
911dev
Drifting

Sharkwerks had a warning regarding this. Be careful you don't melt the bumper.
Old 01-20-2013 | 12:17 PM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

[IMG][/IMG]

The lift makes working on the cars easy.
Old 01-20-2013 | 12:20 PM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 911dev
Sharkwerks had a warning regarding this. Be careful you don't melt the bumper.
They did huh, maybe there is a solution

I think i can put a strip of header wrap on the heat shield (black part) and that would reduce thermal transfer for a while.

I don't see an easy way to adjust the x-pipe lower.
Old 01-20-2013 | 12:47 PM
ILLCOMM
Racer

I heard this exhaust yesterday on the track. Rev matches sounded godly. So incredible!
Old 01-20-2013 | 12:50 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Great system GMG builds some great stuff. And nice lift..
Old 01-20-2013 | 01:24 PM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vonschmidt
Great system GMG builds some great stuff. And nice lift..
Thanks, I love the lift I couldn't do without one now. The only down side is those CL wheels nuts. I can't un-torque them myself, on the lift.

I agree on build quality, amazing welds, they almost look like they were done with a robot.

The sound is better than I expected. Surprisingly no drone at all in quiet mode, up to 90mph. In loud mode, well I'll say that it was 20 degrees out and I was driving around the snow banks with my windows down

The increasing diameter pipe adds a little different note. A little lower base, i would say. and a shrill scream above 5k rpms.

I am worried about the bumper cover though. After looking at pics from SW, GMG and RSS, mine are literally touching at the top of the pipe. Going out now to take a look at any possible ways to adjust it (the pipe) down. Probably not!!

I hate to do it, but I may header wrap them.
Old 01-20-2013 | 01:30 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

I would contact Fabryce at GMG send him your photo and ask advice. They are great to work with and have no doubt already dealt with this. Email is best for getting him.
Old 01-20-2013 | 01:55 PM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vonschmidt
I would contact Fabryce at GMG send him your photo and ask advice. They are great to work with and have no doubt already dealt with this. Email is best for getting him.
That is actually what i will do. I heard something about a heat shield someone is making for it. We'll see, i'm sure Fabryce will have a suggestion
Old 01-20-2013 | 04:47 PM
911S4
Rennlist Member

Loosen the side muffler tabs that bolt to the aluminum brackets handing from the chassis (or off the side of the motor I cant remember) as well loosen the side muffler clamps. Obviously loosen up the clamps and the nuts/bolts supplied from GMG that connect the bracket on the crank case. From there you can move the bypass around a bit and even point it in a more downward position until you have the tips parallel with the ground.

There is some fore, aft, up and down adjustment if you loosen up everything first. I ran into the same issue but it can be easily adjusted to exactly where you want.

Looks incredible and I love the sound of my GMG pipe on my 997RS.
Old 01-20-2013 | 05:10 PM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 911S4
Loosen the side muffler tabs that bolt to the aluminum brackets handing from the chassis (or off the side of the motor I cant remember) as well loosen the side muffler clamps. Obviously loosen up the clamps and the nuts/bolts supplied from GMG that connect the bracket on the crank case. From there you can move the bypass around a bit and even point it in a more downward position until you have the tips parallel with the ground.

There is some fore, aft, up and down adjustment if you loosen up everything first. I ran into the same issue but it can be easily adjusted to exactly where you want.

Looks incredible and I love the sound of my GMG pipe on my 997RS.
Thanks for the suggestion. The bracket that mounts to the crankcase has two small bolts, connection the pipe to the bracket. This bracket is slotted vertically and horizontally. One side (left) adjust fore and aft, the one on the right side adjusts up and down. Doesn't really make sense since the bracket is only 4" wide or so. Once I get under there again i'll do as you say and loosen everything and adjust it down.

It looks like a function of the pipe diameter at the tips.
Old 01-20-2013 | 07:01 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thank you for the kind words regarding our products we strive to provide the highest quality products using the best workmanship and materials.

There should be no reason why you would melt your bumper with the installation of our center section.
As long as it is not touching there is no reason why it would melt.

The exhaust is designed in a way and the tips are a specific length as well as shape so that there is no problem with the bumper melting when installed due to exhaust heat or the center section operating at unsafe temperatures.

I cant speak to any other systems on the market with bumpers melting.

We have been building these since the 07 and we have installed hundreds of them at our facility and sold many more around the world with no problems. From daily driven road cars weekend track cars to cars running in club racing as well as pro racing such as World Challenge GT. We have had no complaints from owners of bumpers melting.

As long as the car has not been hit, the support mounts are not damaged and everything is installed correctly you will have no issues.

If you need further assistance please feel free to call the shop and I can have one of our Porsche Factory Trained Techs assist you with any installation questions.

Thanks again for the continued support

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 01-20-2013 | 11:39 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

When it was installed on my car, it was very close to the plastic bumper trim, but not quite touching. Nothing melted in the time I had it on, but I never got the exhaust super hot either.

Glad you're enjoying it!
Old 01-21-2013 | 12:01 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Serge944
When it was installed on my car, it was very close to the plastic bumper trim, but not quite touching. Nothing melted in the time I had it on, but I never got the exhaust super hot either.

Glad you're enjoying it!

Exactly the way it fits mine. Once i get some time, I'll fuss around with it till it's right.
Old 01-21-2013 | 12:05 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gmgracing
Thank you for the kind words regarding our products we strive to provide the highest quality products using the best workmanship and materials.

There should be no reason why you would melt your bumper with the installation of our center section.
As long as it is not touching there is no reason why it would melt.

The exhaust is designed in a way and the tips are a specific length as well as shape so that there is no problem with the bumper melting when installed due to exhaust heat or the center section operating at unsafe temperatures.

I cant speak to any other systems on the market with bumpers melting.

We have been building these since the 07 and we have installed hundreds of them at our facility and sold many more around the world with no problems. From daily driven road cars weekend track cars to cars running in club racing as well as pro racing such as World Challenge GT. We have had no complaints from owners of bumpers melting.

As long as the car has not been hit, the support mounts are not damaged and everything is installed correctly you will have no issues.

If you need further assistance please feel free to call the shop and I can have one of our Porsche Factory Trained Techs assist you with any installation questions.

Thanks again for the continued support
Nice work on the pipe.

It is almost touching the bumper heat shield. If I can't adjust it, i may give the shop a call thanks.

Quick Reply: GMG Installed