Received 671 Likes on 365 Posts

That guy has some real potential.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:36 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Pay close attention to how long he waits before committing to throttle coming out of corners... And then pay attention to how stable & serene his car appears, and how relaxed he is as he passes everyone.

The 2 are connected.
Dave could you expound on your "waiting to come on to throttle" comment? It sounds like you are implying he is late on to throttle, but I'm probably missing your point, or there is some sarcasm. Is my clue the winking icon you used?

I also noticed how still his hands were and how little frantic counter steering there was in spite of the impressive speeds he was carrying through turns. I would like to be him in my next life. (Patrick Long is too short).
Old 01-12-2013, 09:38 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 51 Posts

Wow! Amazing. If I could only be half as good...
Old 01-12-2013, 10:25 AM
tasman
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts

Awesome video. Guy has some skills. Talk about no room for a mistake! Definitely on the bucket list of places to go.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:26 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
Dave could you expound on your "waiting to come on to throttle" comment? It sounds like you are implying he is late on to throttle, but I'm probably missing your point, or there is some sarcasm. Is my clue the winking icon you used?

I also noticed how still his hands were and how little frantic counter steering there was in spite of the impressive speeds he was carrying through turns. I would like to be him in my next life. (Patrick Long is too short).
I have ridden with Patrick Long in a Panamera Turbo at Road Atlanta. His 80 percent is my 150 percent. The pros are unbelievable.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:27 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 161 Posts

Track is very narrow and Armco everywhere.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:09 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Really impressive what these guys can do. Whats even more so is that they do it lap after lap for 90 minute stints or thereabouts.

And congrats to Sean for winning the Dubai 24 hour for the 2nd year in a row in a GT3 SLS with Team Abu Dhabi by Black Falcon. Was a pleasure to share the track with you guys in my first 997 Cup enduro.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:35 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

He's not being sarcastic. Patience is key to speed. He was pointing that out.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:17 PM
ShootingStar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eggorian
Dude is a beast. Where is this again?
.... The Nurburgring.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:37 PM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by X2daC
.... The Nurburgring.
VLN's run on combined GP-track and the old Nordschleife. You can clearly see when the modern GP (F1) track changes to Nordschleife. Wide runoff areas are substituted with mercyless Armco. One lap's length then is 24.4 km.

Last edited by pete95zhn; 01-12-2013 at 02:38 PM. Reason: 2x d
Old 01-12-2013, 01:50 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stones indeed!
Old 01-12-2013, 02:56 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Huge Stones IMO...
Old 01-13-2013, 09:50 AM
chas911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Dave could you expound on your "waiting to come on to throttle" comment?
I believe Dave is referring to maximizing mid corner speed, the key to a fast lap! When done correctly (which puts you at maximum grip) you won't be able to get back to throttle or risk an off track excursion, this will then require patience to throttle which often requires you to wait beyond apex, but Dave can comment.
Thanks
Charlie
Old 01-13-2013, 11:44 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 869 Posts

Sorry, I have been in race cars literally all day today, just getting on line now.

What I meant is that he is very patient before going to the gas. Many folks will go to the gas as soon as they release the brake, for example, and then wonder why they have understeer...which forces them to come off the gas to get the front tires to bite...and then back on the gas...etc...leading to sort of staccatto bursts of throttle before WOT can be reached. The reason this happens is they are surprising the chassis & suspension with throttle at at time when it is still loaded on the front tires from braking & has not get settled back on the rear. So...getting ot gas too soon and/or too hard suddenly loads the rear end...which suddenly unloads the front...which suddenly makes the front contact patches a LOT smaller...which leads to sudden understeer. This is slow. What you want is ONE throttle input only. To get this, you have to be patient and wait a bit longer (while the suspension settles) so that when you DO go to the gas, the rear loads BUT THE FRONT DOESN'T UNLOAD. Do this, and you will find suddenly your understeer problem is a lot better and your corner exits a lot faster. In other words, one more place to reduce drama in a transition.

Originally Posted by chas911
I believe Dave is referring to maximizing mid corner speed, the key to a fast lap! When done correctly (which puts you at maximum grip) you won't be able to get back to throttle or risk an off track excursion, this will then require patience to throttle which often requires you to wait beyond apex, but Dave can comment.
Thanks
Charlie
Yup, exactly, Charlie. It's all about chassis, suspension, and contact patch management by reducing drama. Hope you're well!!
Old 01-14-2013, 12:04 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nicely explained!

SMOOTH FELLAS, smooth is where it's at, with a touch of controlled roughness/finesse when it's called for.

Quick Reply: big balls