Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT2 RS @ MSRP

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 08:03 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Love the idea, but affraid of the disconnected Turbo feel. Someone needs to borrow me a GT2RS to test drive on track...Till then, Ill make due with the 4.0..

Love this black car though....
This is ur. Chance to dethrone rad

They are not disconnected at all...full of torque
Old 01-07-2013, 08:38 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone

I have been telling him that, but he has these weird preconceived notions
Old 01-07-2013, 08:51 PM
maroli
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by a.928
Hi trakcar,

"disconnected"..well - I have driven the GT2RS..and own a GT2. The GT2RS has really no turbo lag..even the one in the GT2 is almost not existant. In a GT3 below 5000rpm nothing is happening either..

You cannot compare a 997 turbo to a GT2..yes, the normal turbo feels far more disconnected - thats true & fully agree. Nonethless, the price is of course a big thing here...but with the second last produced..

all the best,
Interesting. I've driven a GT2 and I think it lags plenty. I can't imagine that the GT2 RS lags less with even more boost. I don't think it's possible to make any 3.6 litre put out 600 horsepower without a significant amount of lag. But you're right, the GT3 is peaky as well, but it has much better throttle response.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:00 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree with peter. i haven't driven a gt2 but, a turbo is a turbo.
maybe the engineers have ironed out most of the issues, but even 'virtually no lag' is lag.

i think savy is the only one here to have owned both, so maybe he can enlighten us (again)?
Old 01-07-2013, 09:01 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Peter would do it if it was white
Old 01-07-2013, 09:12 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

that thing is bad *** right there!

Wouldnt trade a 4.0L for it though....
Old 01-07-2013, 09:21 PM
manouk
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I think secret collector already found his car last week
Old 01-07-2013, 09:40 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by maroli
Interesting. I've driven a GT2 and I think it lags plenty. I can't imagine that the GT2 RS lags less with even more boost. I don't think it's possible to make any 3.6 litre put out 600 horsepower without a significant amount of lag. But you're right, the GT3 is peaky as well, but it has much better throttle response.
I've derived both .2rs and .1 gt2 on track

RS is special, much different than non RS

Eddie used to wheel a 6gt2 around Sebring and it was quick
Old 01-07-2013, 10:22 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 883 Likes on 366 Posts

The GT2RS is cool and stupid fast...the 4.0 is the keeper.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:44 AM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

This is ur. Chance to dethrone rad

So even with the extra 50hp of the 4.0L, The Red car is still faster??
Old 01-08-2013, 01:37 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I have been telling him that, but he has these weird preconceived notions
Those notions were explained to me by people who owned both and are good drivers. I think a lot can be solved with a loud exhaust and tuning, but I like OEM tuning for warranty.

I need to drive one before writing that check to prove the guys that owned both a 4.0 and a Gt2RS wrong to myself.

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
i agree with peter. i haven't driven a gt2 but, a turbo is a turbo.
maybe the engineers have ironed out most of the issues, but even 'virtually no lag' is lag.

i think savy is the only one here to have owned both, so maybe he can enlighten us (again)?
I can't even stand driving my wifes 535I (chipped) around town. Great car, no fun, tons of lag. I should have gotten a used E63 '10 instead..

Originally Posted by jenk12m
GT2RS needs to be black, otherwise you have these goofy black/CF accents.

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
that thing is bad *** right there!

Wouldnt trade a 4.0L for it though....
I'm still on the same page. Before I bought a 4.0 I offered on a black GT2RS and the offer was accepted, but it came back with some damage, so I did not dare take the car. It was all black.

I've derived both .2rs and .1 gt2 on track

RS is special, much different than non RS

Eddie used to wheel a 6gt2 around Sebring and it was quick
You said you really did not like the car right afgter getting out??!!
"not enough revs and to abrupt power after lag"

Eddie is fast in anything.

Originally Posted by richk
The GT2RS is cool and stupid fast...the 4.0 is the keeper.
I really have to love driving the GT2RS a lot more for me to sell 4.0. Maybe I just keep saving and buy both because I have this sense that I will always regret selling the 4.o unless the GT2RS really blows my socks off in the fun/challenge to drive department. The 4.0 is just a 3.8 that has a bit more trouble to put the power down and that will be exponentially worse in GT2RS

Originally Posted by TurboS
So even with the extra 50hp of the 4.0L, The Red car is still faster??
Only in theoretical Playstation land, not tire for tire session after session. The red car says he's "waiting for us" but we all know he is waiting for things to cool down, so he does not have to flatbed it home.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:22 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,700 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by jenk12m
modern colors are always two words.
it's *** white.
dont forget menstrual red too.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:10 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Hi Maroli,

well, "GT2 lags plenty" (?)..I also own a 997 GT3..so I know what Im talking about. Yes, GT3 throttle response is better, but you have to keep the car above 5000rpm.

For the GT2RS - the lag is less than in GT2--thats for sure. Even Porsche said itself that despite the more HP..the power is more linear. The GT2RS is also easier to drive at the limit compared to GT2..that again despite it has more power.

Of course Porsche can say many things..but really, the Gt2RS has less lag then the GT2..and I would go even that far - saying - the liniearity of power of the GT2RS is the best I have ever witnessed - its better then 997. 3.6/3.8/3.8RS. However, I have never driven the 4.0..or been in one.

Im the opposite of TRAKCAR..he knows the 4.0..but doesnt know the GT2RS..I know the GT2RS..but dont know the 4.0. We need to meet personally to discuss the issue and to propose an agreed statement to Rennlist
Old 01-08-2013, 08:45 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Those notions were explained to me by people who owned both and are good drivers. I think a lot can be solved with a loud exhaust and tuning, but I like OEM tuning for warranty.

Yeah, well, I have driven both on track, and except for the sound, the driving experience is little different, except the GT2RS is stupid fast x10. So i'd say those notions are not correct. The suspension on the GT2RS feels (to me) a bit better than the 4.0. No need to change ECU tuning at all.

But YMMV.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:11 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reality:

'08-'09 GT2 $130 + $20k intelligent mods = fast/challenging/great value. If you think you are a good driver with well developed skills, this is the car to humble yourself and start fresh on the learning curve.

'11 2RS for $270 = $120k more to brag that your car had 63 cold-start, high-rev, miles with 10 clutch-drop launches in that time. Sneezes the airbox to plenum hose off from boost overpressure during 1-2 shift. Immediately builds massive heat when run hard above 85 degrees ambient and ECU saves the engine by pulling most of the boost. Exiting slow speed corners you are driving a 3.6l powered car made even slower by having low compression ratio (turbo engine). All the turbo stuff adds weight, much of it over the *** exactly where it does not need it.

Those are the facts as I personally experienced them. Wasn't me that did the launches in their brand new 2RS though but I was standing there to watch. (I know nothing about the specific car for sale and how it has lived its life, and am not saying it has lived a life of nothing other than kisses, hugs and warm snuggles)

Where are you are obtaining HPDE insurance on a $270k car? And if you managed to find it, what's it cost you? I guarantee you I spent every second of every track lap in my 2RS nursing a healthy margin for error. Point earned for once by the Cars'NCoffee crowd on this one...

Oh yeah! The '11 2RS does have special N2 rear tires developed just for it! There is your bragging rights

Sorry to bust so many dreams but if the fantasy is dissected and considered in real-life experience it is not nearly as alluring. "Someday" I can imagine myself owning a .1 GT2 to trackify it, or maybe a .2 when the prices come down to $130k'ish. The .2 GT2RS is a very fun car but monumentally overpriced as new. Knowing the changes Porsche made to the .2 I personally would find value at current prices around $160k-$170k 'ish for a clean low-mileage car.

Some fantasy material below. Of course I wound up going to El Toro (2 weeks earlier) not W Palm.
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: GT2 RS @ MSRP