GT2 New Wheels + Tire rubbing issue

Old 01-07-2013, 01:53 AM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default GT2 New Wheels + Tire rubbing issue

Just installed a new set of Trofeo R's and BBS FI wheels

19x8.75, offset 50 wearing 245/35 ,-3 Camber and steering will rub on full lock

Previously was running Stock 19x8.5 offset 51mm wearing 235/35 Trofeos and had no rubbing issues at all

I understand that Spacer will be required to get the fronts on par with the 2/3 RS front track i think 6mm ? could this be the case?

I was wondering if the use of axle shims will give the same effect as a spacer ?

I am also planning to run less aggresive camber on front..

Any input appreciated Thanks

**Update**

Car had fresh alignment now running -2.4 Camber front , still rubbing under full lock..

Last edited by TTurbine; 01-07-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:57 AM
GTSilver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the new wheels I myself just installed BBS e88 on my car 9x19 and 12x19 with 245/35 MPSC in front -3 camber with no rubbing. Before going to a spacer why not check the ride height first ?
Old 01-08-2013, 11:15 AM
TTurbine
Pro

Originally Posted by GTSilver
Congrats on the new wheels I myself just installed BBS e88 on my car 9x19 and 12x19 with 245/35 MPSC in front -3 camber with no rubbing. Before going to a spacer why not check the ride height first ?
Thanks GT Silver , May i know whats the offset on your e88s?

My ride height is 103 F and 137R , Which rides 1mm higher than the 4.0 RS running 245 9' fronts , so i suspect it is not a ride height issue

Another thing is
My front alignment is now -2.4 F 0 Toe front and to be honest i feel my steering wheel quite heavier than when the car was wearing 235s

I dont know if its from the Trofeo Rs new compound , which tends to understeer a bit more when driving spiritaly or is it because of the straight toe & less aggresive camber?

Did you feel any change in your steering wheel behaviour?
Old 01-08-2013, 05:57 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Is the rubbing on the fender side or against the spring? With those offsets, the wheel extends outward an extra 4 mm and the wider tyre a few mm on that... If the rubbing is ONLY on full lock, you should be okay I think...

May be worth checking the distance between each tyre and the fenders. I found with mine that the front subframe was slightly offset to one side and eeded to be adjusted. That is, whenthe car was aligned, one of the front tyres/wheels was a few millimeters closer to the fender so the front end had to be loosened and moved across... Just something else to check tt...
Old 01-09-2013, 01:10 AM
GTSilver
Instructor

Originally Posted by TTurbine
Thanks GT Silver , May i know whats the offset on your e88s?

My ride height is 103 F and 137R , Which rides 1mm higher than the 4.0 RS running 245 9' fronts , so i suspect it is not a ride height issue

Another thing is
My front alignment is now -2.4 F 0 Toe front and to be honest i feel my steering wheel quite heavier than when the car was wearing 235s

I dont know if its from the Trofeo Rs new compound , which tends to understeer a bit more when driving spiritaly or is it because of the straight toe & less aggresive camber?

Did you feel any change in your steering wheel behaviour?
My offsets are 47 front and 63 rear, i'm running the car at 105 front and 125 rear. -3.0 camber front 0 toe, -2.5 rear +14 minutes toe per wheel. And yes I felt change in the steering wheel as if the car got lighter more responsive than before.

I never tried the Trofeo R yet to comment on them.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:10 AM
TTurbine
Pro

Originally Posted by 911rox
Is the rubbing on the fender side or against the spring? With those offsets, the wheel extends outward an extra 4 mm and the wider tyre a few mm on that... If the rubbing is ONLY on full lock, you should be okay I think...

May be worth checking the distance between each tyre and the fenders. I found with mine that the front subframe was slightly offset to one side and eeded to be adjusted. That is, whenthe car was aligned, one of the front tyres/wheels was a few millimeters closer to the fender so the front end had to be loosened and moved across... Just something else to check tt...
Chris, Thanks for info in regards to the Subframe,

Car is rubbing more prominatly to the right more than left , i put the car on a lift and it seems like its rubbing in the inner fender (plastic part )

Trofeos 245s have 247 mm section width which is 8mm more than the 235s.

My offsets are 47 front and 63 rear, i'm running the car at 105 front and 125 rear. -3.0 camber front 0 toe, -2.5 rear +14 minutes toe per wheel. And yes I felt change in the steering wheel as if the car got lighter more responsive than before.

I never tried the Trofeo R yet to comment on them.
GT Silver your front wheels stick 6mm more than mine which is the same as GT2RS , i guess that confirms the need of a 6mm front spacer to get the same track width as the 2/3 RS and avoid any rubbing issue
Old 01-09-2013, 03:15 AM
GTSilver
Instructor

Originally Posted by TTurbine
Chris, Thanks for info in regards to the Subframe,

Car is rubbing more prominatly to the right more than left , i put the car on a lift and it seems like its rubbing in the inner fender (plastic part )

Trofeos 245s have 247 mm section width which is 8mm more than the 235s.

GT Silver your front wheels stick 6mm more than mine which is the same as GT2RS , i guess that confirms the need of a 6mm front spacer to get the same track width as the 2/3 RS and avoid any rubbing issue
TTurbine try to contact Toby as he has the BBS FI on his gt2 as well and if i'm not mistaken he as well had installed spacers for his rims.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:34 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

TTurbine try to contact Toby as he has the BBS FI on his gt2 as well and if i'm not mistaken he as well had installed spacers for his rims.
My BBS FI s are same size and offset as yours and I have run MPSC and MPSS in the 245 sizes and have always run a 6mm spacer, actually the spacer is a "shim" since it is held on by the normal lugs like the one on the rear.

I only run standard geometry and have never had any rubbing issue. I didn't try the wheels without the spacer so quite probable they do rub without it.

There is that issue which Mr mostly Wong brought up where he claims the GT2RS had a cut out on the front wings/fenders which presumably is to accomodate the bigger wider wheel/tyre combo but from what you've said (tyre rubbing on inside) this sounds like a red herring - I would put some 5mm or 6mm (6 were easier to find and give exact offset of GT2RS) shims on and the job should be good
Old 01-09-2013, 09:45 AM
TTurbine
Pro

Originally Posted by TB993tt
My BBS FI s are same size and offset as yours and I have run MPSC and MPSS in the 245 sizes and have always run a 6mm spacer, actually the spacer is a "shim" since it is held on by the normal lugs like the one on the rear.

I only run standard geometry and have never had any rubbing issue. I didn't try the wheels without the spacer so quite probable they do rub without it.

There is that issue which Mr mostly Wong brought up where he claims the GT2RS had a cut out on the front wings/fenders which presumably is to accomodate the bigger wider wheel/tyre combo but from what you've said (tyre rubbing on inside) this sounds like a red herring - I would put some 5mm or 6mm (6 were easier to find and give exact offset of GT2RS) shims on and the job should be good
Toby , as usual thank you for the valuable input,

I took a few photos of the clearance and it looks tight.. at 90% steering it rubs in the inside..

At first i thought the Trofeo Rs were wider and larger in nature than the MSPC but according to the Trofeo spec sheet there very identical..

Hope the 6mm spacer will get the job done..

Last edited by TTurbine; 02-07-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:16 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

What's your caster? How did u get the negative camber? Shims and/or rotate strut? With shims wheel will be pushed forward. Mike
Old 01-09-2013, 01:10 PM
TTurbine
Pro

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
What's your caster? How did u get the negative camber? Shims and/or rotate strut? With shims wheel will be pushed forward. Mike

I have the Manthey spec KW V3 , No shims , Struts at stock position

Caster is 8.33 Right 8.5 Left
Old 01-09-2013, 04:02 PM
bhgt2
Instructor

Those wheels look good
Old 01-09-2013, 08:15 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 2 sets of wheels and run both MPSC and Trofeo's on the 4.0 and no issues.
Actually measured mounted wheels/tires (lying down side by side) are equal in width, although the Trofoes look a tad wider when unmounted.
Toby's advice sounds right....again :-)
Old 01-10-2013, 03:53 AM
TTurbine
Pro

Originally Posted by DRPM
I have 2 sets of wheels and run both MPSC and Trofeo's on the 4.0 and no issues.
Actually measured mounted wheels/tires (lying down side by side) are equal in width, although the Trofoes look a tad wider when unmounted.
Toby's advice sounds right....again :-)
DRPM Thanks for your input,

What suspension / alignment are you currently running?
Old 01-10-2013, 05:21 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey TT, won't a 6mm spacer just push the wheel outward! I don't know that it will help with rubbing at the front there... Maybe Mike is onto something, maybe your castor is the issue with the aftermarket parts???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT2 New Wheels + Tire rubbing issue