Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Track time

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 11:59 PM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Less and less track events with PCA. PCA offers less track time, less events and cost the most.
I agree!! "O" with PCA here in NorCal. Sounds like "left" coast and "right" coast are agreeing on this. Most of the PCA organizations seem to be run by the "senile" age group of our demographics. (Not that the BMW or Audi Club is any better...I've found the independent organizers listen to their customers a lot more.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:39 AM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry L
I bet 99% of you (not Clark) came up through PCA. What ever happened to giving back as an instructor? I don't know anyone else's personal situation but isn't this just being selfish?
I have done 4 PCA events, I found that there wasn't enough track time, cut my teeth playing follow the leader with my friends! We still play follow the leader.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:10 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthVan
I have done 4 PCA events, I found that there wasn't enough track time, cut my teeth playing follow the leader with my friends! We still play follow the leader.
this is amazing, i thought most were PCA guys/gals.

Has anyone thought of buying a non-porsche race car? Or does everyone only like track-days (daze)

Funny captions, that someone did. I'm moron on pole at NHMS, took the win with 5 seconds to spare, against it's sister car, and National winner in FC, He still holds the track record for FC (Formula Continental) at Sebring.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:23 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
DE only. No racing. At the PCA club races they always have advanced-only DE to help pay for the event. Probably the best way to do a PCA DE is with a club race - no students, no beginners, no instructiing, etc. - just advanced drovers and racers, much better than standard PCA DE.
+1. MOR PCA puts on a good Advanced Only DE at Mid-Ohio ever year.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:39 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Less and less track events with PCA. PCA offers less track time, less events and cost the most. I voted with my money and did not attend a single PCA last year and only 1 this year. My money is with Chin and PBOC. I hope to do a David Murray events soon too. I am singed up for the PCA 48hrs at Sebring in 2013. I hope this events is well run, fun and we get good track time. They have not announced the 48hr schedule so fingers crossed!
same here, out of 16 events i did last summer 3 were with PCA clubs and only 1 of them was decent - a WGI event with HVR. private groups are always better, it is simpler to manage your bookings, simpler to arrange to work with coaches, there are no idiotic communications with registars who do not care to respond at all, no need to deal with 'adjustments' of how run grops match or do not match across various PCA clubs... downside is that if you did not get to black yet with PCA and stopped running with them while your skills improved but run group did not it will complicate yout life in the future if you suddenly decide to attend one of available PCA events as they will not let you run in the group you logically belong to. i was told more than once that their run group assigment is not based on your driving but on your 'loyalty' and of how often you attend _their_ events and for me it all just went beyound any limit of tolerance, i do not do PCA for a living, i can only manage scarce days out of my work/family schedule for _my_own_ fun and to deal with all that 'social' BS and people who got way too much free time to do nothing in their life is just too much.

all in all private clubs are generally way less difficult to manage and 'filter' of people who attend them is better, so, you have less issues on the track. plus you mostly get experienced club racers there as instructors and that by itself is a priceless benefit and you do not have to deal with a clasic PCA`s 'there is a line we teach and a different line we all drive' thing.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:52 PM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Hey Paul,

Do you run with SCDA? I used to race with Ian at LRP and instructed for him a few times at NHMS. It's a good time as I remember.

YOu ready for a formula ford yet? Mine will be posted soon, something to think about:-)

I know what you're talking about with the groupings for PCA-de's. I always have to run in the blue group. Whatever that is?

It's scary at times, closing speeds and such.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:54 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Maybe 40% pca. We do feel some responsibility to give back.

It's tough to beat the 2 plus driving hours in a typical Schattenbaum schedule, and we especially like Niagara, Metro and HVR events. They're all low-drama groups. We definitely vote with our wallets and time when it comes to avoiding some larger regions that are fixated on rules and politics.

Also, Nasa, HOD, Ferrari club, Scda, scca, track daze, chin....Most of them are very respectful of their instructors.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:31 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweeper
What percentage of your track time is with the PCA?

What are the other organizations do you do track/race events with?
I used to do PCA, but now it's 0% (too crowded, too little driving, too many rules). We have Open Track days in Denver (High Plains Raceway) nearly every week and it's a blast - much more fun than PCA, cheap ($81 for 4 hours), and a great diversity of cars (still plenty of Porsches).
Old 12-18-2012, 04:41 PM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GrantG
I used to do PCA, but now it's 0% (too crowded, too little driving, too many rules). We have Open Track days in Denver (High Plains Raceway) nearly every week and it's a blast - much more fun than PCA, cheap ($81 for 4 hours), and a great diversity of cars (still plenty of Porsches).
That sounds like a blast, every week to boot. Very short money for sure..

It seems most/some got their start with PCA and gravitated to private clubs, some to club racing and I'm sure plenty have gone pro.

Good show!
Old 12-18-2012, 04:42 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

I do 90% PCA, but now mostly Club Racing with them. As an instructor I always had plenty of track time between my sessions and taking out others for "instructional" rides

Originally Posted by GT3DE
I actually asked to be an instructor for PCA-Potomac and was denied. Go figure. lol
They must have saw the one handed videos
Old 12-18-2012, 04:42 PM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
...cheap ($81 for 4 hours).
Savy moved to Nevada, I think I have to move to Colorado.
Here in NorCal, we pay on average $300+ for LS and SP, only T-Hill is a bit cheaper. And worse, NO open track driving , just that 5x20min session stuff...
Old 12-18-2012, 04:54 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

2-3 events with PCA
6-8 events with Audi Club
4-6 events with SCDA (scda1.com)
1-2 with random others (Chin, etc)

A-hole factor somewhat higher at PCA events than others hence relatively few for me.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:08 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 454 Posts

In my 5 years of DE maybe 10 PCA days out of over 100 total. I didn't come through the PCA ranks and except for Nord Stern PCA, awesome group PCA is not on my radar for events unless it is the only option and BMW Club I will just stay home. This nothing against PCA, love the people, except for track time is limited and Passing rules are antiquated unless you are an instructor.

Peter
Old 12-18-2012, 05:11 PM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Horstair
Savy moved to Nevada, I think I have to move to Colorado.
Here in NorCal, we pay on average $300+ for LS and SP, only T-Hill is a bit cheaper. And worse, NO open track driving , just that 5x20min session stuff...
I know, it's really cheap seat time. LRP 300+ 5x20min sessions suck

Originally Posted by rmag
I do 90% PCA, but now mostly Club Racing with them. As an instructor I always had plenty of track time between my sessions and taking out others for "instructional" rides

THat's the beauty of being an instructor. I wear out before the track time ends

They must have saw the one handed videos

Originally Posted by brownan
2-3 events with PCA
6-8 events with Audi Club
4-6 events with SCDA (scda1.com)
1-2 with random others (Chin, etc)

A-hole factor somewhat higher at PCA events than others hence relatively few for me.
You run with Ian's group? Where do you go with SCDA
Old 12-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 332 Likes on 162 Posts

Sounds like there are big differences in PCA regions. The Chicago region has had well run (safe but not to nannyish) events with lots of track time for the 13 years I have been a member. The only event that has sparse DE time is the Road America club race but it is such a blast watching my friends race I don't mind. Having said that I have participaed in Laps events run by Shawn Young and the driving time and average quality of the drivers is excellent and the cost is comparable or lower than PCA.

I instruct as often as I can as a way of giving back to the people and sport I enjoy so much.

Quick Reply: Track time