997.1 Gt3 RS or 997.2 Gt3?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 11:29 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 997.1 Gt3 RS or 997.2 Gt3?

Hi,
After a season of track days, I am deciding whether to upgrade to one of the 2 cars above. Assuming they can be had for roughly equal money, which would you choose? I know that the later cars have PSM (which is useful on a wet trackday and a potential life saver), why would you swing one way or the other considering that the purchase will be made for track consideration only (with driving there being the road mileage as I don't intend to trailer the car). Thanks
Old 12-15-2012, 11:39 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

if you like in your face graphics/styling and allure of limited edition get the .1RS.

if you perfer a more subtle style without graphics then the .2GT3.

The updated shocks in the .2 are a little nicer, the 3.8L is a little stronger and the brakes are a little bigger.

The .1RS is a little wider, has 5 lug wheels and a limited production run.

I had the choice my second time around and decided i couldnt say no the .1RS.
For a track toy 3 years ago i wanted wild colors, 5 lugs,RS badges and under $100k!

Once you go wide body you never go back
Old 12-15-2012, 11:51 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

how about chassis-wise? gearing? With this, I am talking about stock cars that are un-modified. I have zero intention of modifying the cars.

Which car is sweeter to drive and easier to balance?
Old 12-16-2012, 12:15 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by khooni
how about chassis-wise? gearing? With this, I am talking about stock cars that are un-modified. I have zero intention of modifying the cars.

Which car is sweeter to drive and easier to balance?
Both cars share the same tub which means same suspension pick up points etc. No new design.

The .2 shocks have different/better valving which are more compliant on the street.

the .2 with the 3.8L engine, bigger brakes and better shocks would be a little sweeter drive.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:27 AM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Price aside, if you want safety, get a .2 (GT3/RS). I would never want to be without ESP and Traction Control. Why pay $100K for a car and not have the latest safety features? If you want "raw" and "mucho" stuff, get yourself a 996 or better a 993. Or maybe a Cobra Mustang :-)
Besides, I never liked the wide "butt" of a 911 (Turbo, GTS, RS). I think the narrow-body looks a lot sexier and the rear looks more "proportional"...
I love my narrow-body 7.2 GT3, comfortable, good-looking and the clutch is a lot stronger than this "light-weight" flywheel kind of stuff...
No flames please...
Old 12-16-2012, 12:34 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Horstair
Price aside, if you want safety, get a .2 (GT3/RS). I would never want to be without ESP and Traction Control. Why pay $100K for a car and not have the latest safety features? If you want "raw" and "mucho" stuff, get yourself a 996 or better a 993. Or maybe a Cobra Mustang :-)
Besides, I never liked the wide "butt" of a 911 (Turbo, GTS, RS). I think the narrow-body looks a lot sexier and the rear looks more "proportional"...
I love my narrow-body 7.2 GT3, comfortable, good-looking and the clutch is a lot stronger than this "light-weight" flywheel kind of stuff...
No flames please...
.1 has traction control....

You are correct however about the light weight flywheel in the RS models. They are noisy when compared to non RS.
Some people enjoy the free reving light weight fly wheel and live with the added noise, others cannot...
I have seen a lot of people spend money to upgrade to a light weight fly wheel but have seen nobody try to remove it
Old 12-16-2012, 01:32 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

.2 is better.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:03 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

.......I have zero intention of modifying the cars
Old 12-16-2012, 09:07 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

7.1rs is more special.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:54 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
7.1rs is more special.
Other than rarity, why is that?

the way I see it, gt3.2 is slightly faster and torquier. the rs has a light-weight flywheel which gives it the racer appeal. I just wanna know which is better to drive on track and going to give me more smiles.

Looks wise, I think the black Gt3 rs with orange wheels and side script is louder than the red gen 2 gt3 i am considering, but I think, gen 2 gt3 with narroer hips is better looking and sleeker (which i like).

but this thread is not about looks. I have an aqua blue CR and I think that's the best looking.

I am just afraid that the driving experience of the Gt3 is not going to be much further improved than the CR and I am just upgrading the badge and some more engine/exhaust noise.

TBH, the think i fear most is heel/toeing in the gt3.. only a test drive will i find out. The long brake pedal in CR means that even without ballistic speeds it is easy to heel toe and for me, that is an added fun while driving to practise heel/toe (double or single) on the street. I have PCCBs on my spyder which IMO makes it difficult to heel/toe without being more committed than i care for.

and i love heel/toe and count the ability to keep the car in balance (smooth transition) while downshifting an art. so tell me,,, most of all is upgrading a mistake?

i think not because i will mainly be using the car on track and will not be getting a PCCB equipped car.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:39 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Other than rarity, why is that?

the way I see it, gt3.2 is slightly faster and torquier. the rs has a light-weight flywheel which gives it the racer appeal. I just wanna know which is better to drive on track and going to give me more smiles.

Looks wise, I think the black Gt3 rs with orange wheels and side script is louder than the red gen 2 gt3 i am considering, but I think, gen 2 gt3 with narroer hips is better looking and sleeker (which i like).

but this thread is not about looks. I have an aqua blue CR and I think that's the best looking.

I am just afraid that the driving experience of the Gt3 is not going to be much further improved than the CR and I am just upgrading the badge and some more engine/exhaust noise.

TBH, the think i fear most is heel/toeing in the gt3.. only a test drive will i find out. The long brake pedal in CR means that even without ballistic speeds it is easy to heel toe and for me, that is an added fun while driving to practise heel/toe (double or single) on the street. I have PCCBs on my spyder which IMO makes it difficult to heel/toe without being more committed than i care for.

and i love heel/toe and count the ability to keep the car in balance (smooth transition) while downshifting an art. so tell me,,, most of all is upgrading a mistake?

i think not because i will mainly be using the car on track and will not be getting a PCCB equipped car.
If you rather narrow body, then obvious choice is .2GT3.
the .2 has additions (larger brakes, brakes cooling ducts,3.8L etc) over a .1RS which is alway nice to have on a track car.

If you plan on mainly using the car for track days then you will want to find a car that already has seats, roll bar and harnesses. Of course you can always buy this stuff, but it help if the car already has it.

As far as not modifying the car. It wouldnt hurt to add a set of rear toe links and perhaps a sharkwerks rear muffler bi-pass. All bolt on stuff and easy to remove.

Not sure how PCCB makes heal/toe more difficult, however i find the GT3 difficult to heal/toe anyhow. It really becomes an art in the GT3. Some use Rennline pedals to give them more surface area on the gas pedal for quick throttle blips with the roll of the ankle...

with a Spyder and CR i can see you hesitation to buy something that does the same thing...

Anybody chime in if you have upgraded from a Spyder or Coxster...
Old 12-16-2012, 11:13 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

khooni - you are in the uk, right?
rs has got the full package: seats/cage/belts/extinguisher/hubs/5 studs etc that you could want to start tracking. standard 3.8 gt3 would have to be clubsport spec, which will still lack some trick bits, but will come with centrelocks for your wheel-changing pleasure.
it's all subjective, but rs has the aura, man.
if it's not enough for you, take it to regal and get sharkerks 3.9 done. done.

found a starter car for you.

http://www.jzmporsche.com/porsche-fo...s-for-sale-362

Last edited by aussie jimmy; 12-16-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:28 AM
911S4
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my GMG prepared 996GT3 work horse on the track, but the 997.1RS gives me the most smiles per miles. Ever since I laid eyes on a pic of a Black/Orange 997.1RS seven years ago, that was it.............and I only pulled the car out of storage for a picture with the contrasting white snow on the ground.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:40 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

i'd get this one..and put the alcons on it....

http://www.jzmporsche.com/porsche-fo...s-for-sale-331
Old 12-16-2012, 11:53 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 212 Posts

Never wanted a black car due to upkeep of exterior but man your black/orange rs is a hot tamale!!! Neway back on OT- I probably would take the 997.2- just all around better car minus the CL's(I would definitely convert to 5 lug). Also bear in mind PAG did a great job with the graphics on the .1rs something( I think they got abit overboard with the 7.2 rs to the point it's tacky). Wouldnt mind have a street gt3 in the near future. Good luck. Mike

Quick Reply: 997.1 Gt3 RS or 997.2 Gt3?