997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT2 as a Track Car: Any Downsides?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,800 Likes on 2,198 Posts
Default GT2 as a Track Car: Any Downsides?

I'm thinking about getting a GT2, primarily to use as a track car. Any significant downsides, such as turbo lag, precarious handling, too much power (), durability issues, high cost to maintain, etc.? Other possibilities are a 997 GT3 or GT3 RS, or wait for the 991 GT3, and I'd normally pick one of these, but the GT2 appeals because it's a trustworthy friend who's selling it. Seems like the 991 GT3 could be a beast, but not sure it will be available with manual, which I strongly prefer.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:40 AM
Greygt3
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm assuming your talking about a 997 GT2? I have one and it is an awesome track car. I just came out of a 997.1 GT3 and the changes they made to the suspension make all the difference. It will go through rear tires so be prepared. One of my friends tracked his hard for a couple years and never had a problem.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:56 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greygt3
I'm assuming your talking about a 997 GT2? I have one and it is an awesome track car. I just came out of a 997.1 GT3 and the changes they made to the suspension make all the difference. It will go through rear tires so be prepared. One of my friends tracked his hard for a couple years and never had a problem.
Yes, 997 GT2, thanks for clarifying that. I've heard the 996 GT2 is the one sometimes called the 'widowmaker', so I'm staying away from that one.

One possible 'downside' I wonder about with the 997 GT2 is whether it will be just too freakin' fast, to the extent that it will take a long time to really make use of the capability of the car, and then the high speed at that point will mean higher risk.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:05 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

turbo, turbo lag, turbo heat soak....
Old 11-24-2012, 12:05 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It really depends on how capable and experienced driver are you.
Those cars are a blast to drive, and not as easy to drive as a GT3, so some say they are not as good, or widowmakes .... A well set up GT2 is a blast. Turbo lag ??? Only if you're in the wrong gear.
Put this way it has almost double the torque than a GT3 at around 4000RPM. Is the throttle response like an All motor car ? No, you're dealing with a Turbo car.
Either way is fantastic. If this is the car you're learning, just be careful and make sure you have good coach, talent, common sense.
I had a very well sorted 996GT2 and it was a blast to drive.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:10 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
It really depends on how capable and experienced driver are you.
Those cars are a blast to drive, and not as easy to drive as a GT3, so some say they are not as good, or widowmakes .... A well set up GT2 is a blast. Turbo lag ??? Only if you're in the wrong gear.
Put this way it has almost double the torque than a GT3 at around 4000RPM. Is the throttle response like an All motor car ? No, you're dealing with a Turbo car.
Either way is fantastic. If this is the car you're learning, just be careful and make sure you have good coach, talent, common sense.
I had a very well sorted 996GT2 and it was a blast to drive.
I've done about 50 track days and would say I'm a 'pretty good' driver, though still much to learn. My approach is to work up in small increments, testing grip and handling along the way, so I suspect that I can safely learn to drive a GT2, but it would take a while (multiple seasons?) to really tap into it.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:23 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

get a coach, best thing you can do
Old 11-24-2012, 12:32 PM
rodjac
Rennlist Member

I tracked a 996 gt3 for three years and have tracked a 997 gt2 for the last three years with about 20 track days a year. I don't think the gt2 is any more difficult to drive fast than the gt3 unless you give it too much sudden throttle before it it headed in the right direction. It is a blast and super reliable. I have driven it on super hot days and never had a heating problem.

I would recommend several modifications starting with a harness bar or roll bar and a six-point harness and HANS device. This beast builds up some serious speed and it feels better to be strapped in besides being a lot safer. Rear toe links should be replaced with locking plates and monoball links and you should get a good alignment with -2.5 camber and zero toe in front and -2.0 camber and o.25 degrees of toe per side in the rear. An upgrade of all rubber suspension parts is good--take a look at Sharkwerks web site. You destroy the LSD after three or four track days and should upgrade to the Guard unit. There is more rear brake bias than on the gt3 so it is good to install rear cooling ducts. Finally, my ceramic rotors did not last very long. It would be a good idea to save them and install iron rotors. The two piece 72 vane ones from Brembo(again sharkwerks) are a good upgrade. If you get really carried away also upgrade the shocks--it is always a slippery slope.

This may sound like a lot but it really improves the track experience.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:33 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
get a coach, best thing you can do
You mean a pro coach? I've had many (non-pro) instructors, and continue to ride with them and have them ride with me.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:38 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Get the GT2, you will not be sorry.
Couple of modifications that made a huge difference, suspension tweaks, camber alignment, and wevo engine mounts. If you need more sound aftermarket exhaust, will yield more power as well. Let the others enjoy your tail lights.

As you will see there is no shortage of power, or all the other nonsense posted.....
Except for coaching.

https://vimeo.com/38826655

Old 11-24-2012, 12:40 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Originally Posted by Manifold
You mean a pro coach? I've had many (non-pro) instructors, and continue to ride with them and have them ride with me.
yes pro coach, best money you can invest after safety features, and a few things to make the car track worthy and more enjoyable.
It's the most rewarding 'modification' that you can make and the best of it is that you can take from car to car

roll bar, harness, (safety mods) are always welcome.
Toe links are also a good choice, but locking plates not necessary if using good toe links and most important someone that knows how to align the car properly (string in my opinion)
To save your PCCBs is also a good thing $$$ to do. You have Brembo (pricey) AP Racing, PFC rotors and they all perform flawlessly. Just a matter of choice and how much money you want to spend.
Anything else you can get away with for a while, until you learn and enjoy the experience.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:44 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,856 Likes on 1,678 Posts

I work with Jim Lewis, who after years in a 996 GT3 moved up to a 997 GT2. He's done shocks, springs and a few other mods, but this thing ROCKS! Fun!

As a matter of fact, we're on VIR Grand (the "VIRburging" ) today and he's on Full tomorrow!

And he's a LOT quicker in this car, after an acclimatization period...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Short answer, no problem.

Long answer, change a couple of things on the car, definitely no problem with heat soak or "lag" unless you don't like turbochargers or don't know how to drive them. Turn off SC and rear rotors will last as long as fronts. In stock form the suspension is forgiving and will push. Respect the power and you'll be fine.

90% of what the others recommend to do to the GT2, you would also do to the GT3/RS cars too. So they are the same on that front.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:34 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

seeing as you know the owner it is a great excuse to get into a GT2.

the GT2 can be set up for track just as easy as a GT3, only faster lap times
Old 11-24-2012, 01:41 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I think you cant go wrong honing your skill further with a gt3 and then step up tona gt2.

Quick Reply: GT2 as a Track Car: Any Downsides?