Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Help Needed With Long Distance Car Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 02:19 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Help Needed With Long Distance Car Purchase

I'm considering a purchase of a car that is not local or easily accessible to look at & test drive and
I would have to rely on a PPI to be done at the closest deaalership. Also, it would have to be shipped.

In a private sale where a dealership is not involved, how do most handle the payment end of the transaction?
The dealership is not interested in getting involved with the that. Although the seller seems honorable,
I imagine there can be risk on both sides of the transaction.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:28 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe you could find a member that lives close enough to the vehicle to look at it for you....can't hurt.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:31 PM
m5trol
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1

Where is the car located?
Old 11-05-2012, 03:17 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

If you have no buyer protection such as ebay etc, you should have the seller drop the car to the dealer for the service.
Once the car is physically at the dealer, instruct them to perform the service and charge you directly. Instruct the dealer not to release the car until the service bill is approved and paid by you.
(You could always have the seller not only agree to this but also have it in writing if you are nervous.This also protects the seller from you leaving him with a PPI/service bill if you decide to walk so no need for either party to disagree on it)

If you approve on the dealer service/inspection, then pay the seller while the car is still held at the dealership and then have them fed-ex you the title ( make sure you have a faxed/email copy of the clear title prior to all this).

Once seller has the funds and you have the title, arrange shipper to pick up car at dealer and pay the dealer for the service.

It would be better to do this in person, but alas it is not always the case....
Old 11-05-2012, 03:27 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
If you have no buyer protection such as ebay etc, you should have the seller drop the car to the dealer for the service.
Once the car is physically at the dealer, instruct them to perform the service and charge you directly. Instruct the dealer not to release the car until the service bill is approved and paid by you.
(You could always have the seller not only agree to this but also have it in writing if you are nervous.This also protects the seller from you leaving him with a PPI/service bill if you decide to walk so no need for either party to disagree on it)

If you approve on the dealer service/inspection, then pay the seller while the car is still held at the dealership and then have them fed-ex you the title ( make sure you have a faxed/email copy of the clear title prior to all this).

Once seller has the funds and you have the title, arrange shipper to pick up car at dealer and pay the dealer for the service.

It would be better to do this in person, but alas it is not always the case....
Totally agree here. I've been shafted a couple of times doing transactions without personally seeing the car. This last time with the black/orange RS, I had him take it to a dealer and do an inspection and PPI, which I paid for. The car was perfect and the transaction was smooth. If they aren't willing to take it to a Porsche dealer, then something is definitely wrong. I learned the hard way...a hummer H1 and a GT3. Lot of private sellers that just don't disclose.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 11-05-2012, 03:31 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think a private sale warrants a flight
meet at the dealer once the ppi is done and passed
have your funds ready to wire
ppi checks out, seller checks out, every one is happy
you wire/seller signs over title
arrange transport, fly home and wait

exceptions to every rule so to speak -- I sold a car privately to a Rler and it went off without a hitch... I put him in direct contact with my technician etc...
Old 11-05-2012, 03:32 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, if they don't have a title in hand it can get hairy as well. I waited 2.5 months on the GT3 title because of a slack seller!
Old 11-05-2012, 03:33 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

agree - make the flight. only a few hundred extra bucks and well worth it. i bought my car sight unseen, but it was from reputable dealer and car had only 500 miles. no way i would spend that much money buying from unknown seller without seeing car, having it looked over, etc.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:37 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I flew to Virginia & drove mine home.
A most pleasureable experience!
Old 11-05-2012, 03:46 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 813 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Also, if they don't have a title in hand it can get hairy as well. I waited 2.5 months on the GT3 title because of a slack seller!
Had that happen with an M3 I got but it only took a month to get the title squared away. Another thing if you are buying a car with a lien make the check out to the finance company and make sure you have a copy of the payoff info from the company to make sure the seller is not upside down. Finance company will send any leftover $$ to seller after payoff. Did this on my last GT3 and it went a OK.

Peter
Old 11-05-2012, 04:17 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Agreed.
At least ask for an email/fax copy of the title to see if it lien free and in the proper name etc...

I have been waiting almost 6 month for a title from a FL dealer to the point i had to return the car just last week as enough was enough.
The dealer lied about having a title on the day of purchase and skimmed me along all the while i was racking up storage fees in hopes of producing title.
The dealer has promised to repay my storage fee however it has been 2 days and no sign of the funds...
I did recieve my refund for the car but alas....
Im going to hang this dealer out to dry here if he dosnt come through...

Thus copy of title is important
Old 11-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts

Really great advice; I live in Georgia and will (hopefully) be looking for a private party 997.1 GT3 next February. If I can find one and get it titled in GA before March 1, no sales tax. Fingers crossed.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:45 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

I would suggest buying from a fellow Rennlister if at all possible
Old 11-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I would suggest buying from a fellow Rennlister if at all possible
Absolutely inclined to, but I'll have a very short window to work (2-3 weeks). The supply may not be there. Watch this space...
Old 11-05-2012, 06:59 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for all of the good ideas.

If dealer is unwilling, where can the car be stored until the auto transport arrives (maybe a week or two) ??

Quick Reply: Help Needed With Long Distance Car Purchase