Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

What does it take to break a forged wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 05:16 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Metallurgy and physics are strange things. You could hit the same thing 10 different times on the same wheel and get 10 different results. The primary difference nowadays with good pressure cast and heat treated wheels vs.forged are a few pounds of weight. Forged wheels became popular when that form of manufacturing made them much stronger than casting. At the time forging was far better. The development of pressure casting and heat treating has greatly reduced the strength window between the two. The caveat there is the quality of the casting. Good examples would be OZ Ultraleggera, Allegerita, and the new Challenge wheels. All are pressure cast and heat treated and hold up great to track abuse. Many here have them and like them a lot. Forged wheels are very rigid and don't yield much to impact. As result they often break before they bend. Cast wheels usually bend first. There's no way to tell what you get first with either.

The important thing to take from this is to always take the time to inspect your wheels after track events. Good job for doing so and catching this.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:31 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Fabryce at GMG declined to warranty my broken wheel. I bought them used(there were 2 owners before me) and the previous owner had them recoated. Fabryce says recoating automatically voids their warranty.

If that's the rule so be it. However, after quite a bit a discussion he offered to help me out with a discount on a replacement set of wheels. He said to give him a few days to get a price. That was Dec. 11th. After not hearing from him in 2 months, I sent him an e-mail asking about the situation. No response. A week later I sent him another e-mail. No response.

This has been a huge disappointment.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:49 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry about the situation that you are in.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:53 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my very limited dealings with GMG I have found that email has been ineffective as well... I think you may get better results calling him directly

I know... Seems odd in this day and age but simply relaying my experience

Goody luck to you
Old 02-22-2013, 01:05 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks PJ, but I guess that's not the point. He said HE would get back with me. Never happened.
Doesn't matter now. Lessons learned.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:10 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

I totally agree
TOTALLY
in my business you communicate with customers via their preferred medium not my preferred medium (email/phone/face to face, etc)
Old 02-22-2013, 01:11 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Edit: deleted double post

Quick Reply: What does it take to break a forged wheel?