Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Setting up ride height

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 10:52 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine goes up and down ............................................... it has nose lift kit
Old 10-31-2012, 11:02 AM
senna
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just tried, and to be honest I can't do it yet and be 100% precise. I tell you this though. When my car was set on sport, and I bring it into the garage for tire chnage, I can't get the jack under the car without using my ramps to bring the car up. However, when the car comes into the garage from a short drive and I had PSAM in normal mode, the jack goes under just fine. I am not imagining this crap, so let's try it at the track this weekend.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:10 AM
senna
Burning Brakes

Ok, with a google search this is what I got; Sport PASM (aka SPASM) is an additional 10 mm lower than PASM
Old 10-31-2012, 11:28 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Its you tires warming up after the drive, I have the same thing driving out garage is scraps and I could not drive in, when I drive in on hot tires, no problem.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:28 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Thanks! I wonder why they want the rear of the 4.0 higher..
Seems I am spot on with OEM rake minus 5 mm.
The springs in the 4.0RS are softer, so at speed, the additional downforce will make it squat and produce front lift (the nose washes away, or as explained in the DE Cup driving school workbook: understeer).

Why did they go with soft springs is unknown to me. The downforce difference from the 3.8RS (374 lbs at 186mph) vs 4.0RS (410 at 186mph) would require just 0.75 mm (0.03") of rear ride height increase, basically nothing.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:30 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The ride height and rake on these cars is a function of many things. On the race cars some engineers will run a higher than normal rake (raised rear) because they assume considerable downforce at speed which delivers a "dynamic" rake closer to what we are measuring as static. Under braking the downforce comes off and the weight transfers forward, yielding a rake even higher than what you started with. Great for rotating the car but you better know what you are doing otherwise you are going to spin on turn it. On top of that, the dampers do most of their work on turn in phase (vs springs and ARB in mid corner) so the combination of the two working properly is what matters. Fiddling around with the RH or rake is fine, and maybe the car will feel easier to drive (and therefore deliver a better laptime) to a particular driver but don't mistake what you're doing for making the car faster.

Furthermore, your fuel load makes a significant difference to your rake if you want to get pedantic about it. On full fuel you will have more rake and a heavier front end, while on low fuel you'll have a light front and less rake, which incidentally will result in competing forces on the car when you're on track.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:34 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by senna
Ok, with a google search this is what I got; Sport PASM (aka SPASM) is an additional 10 mm lower than PASM
Google is not a good source of info for the PCA Green Group drivers.

PET is, the Workshop manual is, and so are the few resident engineers.

Sport PASM only applies to the wannabe Aero Beetles, 10mm lower than standard PASM which is 10mm lower than non-PASM, in the wannabe Porsche and wannabe Aero Beetles (meaning Cayman/Boxster and Carrera).
Old 10-31-2012, 11:41 AM
senna
Burning Brakes

I appreciate that. I will keep looking into to it, to find out more when I get some time. Thanks, Rad.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:44 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Sport PASM only applies to the wannabe Aero Beetles, 10mm lower than standard PASM which is 10mm lower than non-PASM, in the wannabe Porsche and wannabe Aero Beetles (meaning Cayman/Boxster and Carrera).
Yep, like my car...Carrera GTS aka GT3DE Cup Official Wanna Be Aero Bettle.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:51 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

The springs in the 4.0RS are softer, so at speed, the additional downforce will make it squat and produce front lift (the nose washes away, or as explained in the DE Cup driving school workbook: understeer).

Why did they go with soft springs is unknown to me. The downforce difference from the 3.8RS (374 lbs at 186mph) vs 4.0RS (410 at 186mph) would require just 0.75 mm (0.03") of rear ride height increase, basically nothing.
Originally Posted by bmardini
The ride height and rake on these cars is a function of many things. On the race cars some engineers will run a higher than normal rake (raised rear) because they assume considerable downforce at speed which delivers a "dynamic" rake closer to what we are measuring as static. Under braking the downforce comes off and the weight transfers forward, yielding a rake even higher than what you started with. Great for rotating the car but you better know what you are doing otherwise you are going to spin on turn it. On top of that, the dampers do most of their work on turn in phase (vs springs and ARB in mid corner) so the combination of the two working properly is what matters. Fiddling around with the RH or rake is fine, and maybe the car will feel easier to drive (and therefore deliver a better laptime) to a particular driver but don't mistake what you're doing for making the car faster.

Furthermore, your fuel load makes a significant difference to your rake if you want to get pedantic about it. On full fuel you will have more rake and a heavier front end, while on low fuel you'll have a light front and less rake, which incidentally will result in competing forces on the car when you're on track.
Thanks guys.

This matches my experience driving the 3.8 VS 4.0.
Some major bumps like the passing line on the inside exiting T1 get really smoothed out in the 4.0. It is a lot more stable over bumps in T17 also.

I noticed that the nose washed wide exiting T1 and Bishop bend (Both at around 100-120MPH, I guess), when there was no understeer anywhere else.
Than again, Juan's 4.0 did the same thing without taller uprights and 3.8 springs...

My 4.0 came setup a bit higher then OEM even and that in combination with the taller Baron uprights and wing at max angle gave me a lot of downforce. I now have my car re-alligned to match my 3.8RS setup and dropped the wing to the lower position. So we will see how that feels driving both back to back this weekend. Maybe I can get some decent data to compare but the cars will have different data systems..
Old 10-31-2012, 01:18 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The springs in the 4.0RS are softer,.
Rad,

Do you know what the actual 4.0 spring rates are? - I'm guessing, since you know they are softer than the 3.8s that you must know both. And, are they the same as the GT2RS?
Old 10-31-2012, 01:37 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Not the same as GT2RS
Old 10-31-2012, 02:16 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by senna
This is more of a carrera issue. From what I understand, all GT3'S have same setup. Nothing lowers when driving except the stupid front lift kit which breaks down every 6 months....

I set my height at 98mm front, 120mm rear. For some reason, .2 gt3's have more aggressive rake. Clarke has a secret setup....
Old 10-31-2012, 02:18 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
Rad,

Do you know what the actual 4.0 spring rates are? - I'm guessing, since you know they are softer than the 3.8s that you must know both. And, are they the same as the GT2RS?
Both Orbit and Juanito 4.0 confirmed they are softer, but I don't know the rates. Now, if Juanito 4.0 sends me his old stock springs, I can get this info in 2 days.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:34 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

FYI,

Most cup cars run at 77mm F & 115mm rear, that is about what is the lowest allowed in alms gtc and imsa gt3 cup.

Most track cars I know run pretty close to those numbers if you have adjustable suspension bits to get geometry in the rear right

Quick Reply: Setting up ride height